L3 - really?? Tekcub 3L

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on your Level 3 les, can’t wait to see the video. Hope all is well.

Sorry again for letting this languish. For an explanation please see this thread https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/life-sorry-not-really-rocketry-related.146782/

So anyway, I got my rocket and nosecone back. Due to the main coming out at apogee the rocket landed nearly 3 miles away. The nose cone had a slightly faster descent rate and landed a little closer. I would not have found the pieces if a farmer out haying his field had not seen the landing and called it in.

GPS Track a.jpg

I didn't take a shot of the main rocket in the field, but here is the cone once I got it out of the tree
IMG_3776.jpg

The FIP file shows it took 10 min to land! I can't get the actual FIPa file to load. Here is a shot of the results

Attachments

• FIP.pdf
    98 KB · Views: 38
Here is an abbreviate flight video.

I was actually surprised - 6 fins, 3 added pods, 9 added strakes, camera shroud - and almost no spin!

Last edited:
Umm wow. Both a great flight and Reeeally wacked out video

What camera did you use? Youtube is defaulting to a "3D" mode which looks terrible, but when I turn it off, I still get only the left half of the screen

Umm wow. Both a great flight and Reeeally wacked out video

What camera did you use? Youtube is defaulting to a "3D" mode which looks terrible, but when I turn it off, I still get only the left half of the screen

The camera is a Firefly. My first video came up whacky on youtube. I changed to a different version that works better. Try again.

It shows it at the bottom, the Firefly Q6. I personally really like this camera also, it's 1080p/60 (also does 4k/24 and 2.5k/30) and roughly the same size as a Mobius (and cheaper).

Though I'm curious how you had it mounted, seems like it moved around quite a bit, and not just during the burn. At first I thought it was YouTube's smoothing stuff, but the timestamp stayed well-planted at the bottom of the video, so I guess it was really the camera moving around on the rocket?

A friend 3D printed a shroud for me. I'll have to try adding some 2 sided tape or foam to help secure it

Would you mind showing a picture of the shroud? I've been meaning to design one for my Q6's for a while, in fact this thread got me thinking about it yesterday and I finished a basic one like the Landru-style Mobius case, but there's a different direction I'd like to go that will take more design work. And if the distraction to cameras/shrouds is inappropriate for this thread I'd be happy to move to PM as well.

Latest posts

Back