Kate-3 system launched to over 188,000 feet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernK

Member/Vendor
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Multitronix Kate-3 tracking system was used by Evolution Space on a test flight to over 188,000 feet. This was an S45000 single stage rocket. Kate-3 controlled all flight operations as well as providing GPS tracking and telemetry downlink. More information including a video and some photos is available here.

This test flight demonstrated the unlimited altitude capability in the Kate-3 GPS tracking system. The maximum altitude was measured by the Kate-3 TelemetryPro GPS to be 188,444 feet. This is above the 164,000 feet operating limit of other GPS tracking systems. Furthermore, the Kate-3 system maintained a continuous telemetry downlink data stream during the entire flight. No data packets were lost even at over 188,000 feet.

My ears must be playing tricks on me. Are you sure? There is a bit of a pause between when Kate says "one" and "twenty point three gees" in the audio.

I am confused. I don't understand where the "one" is that you are hearing. At 2:03 in the raw audio playback posted on my web page, Kate says "Peak acceleration was 20.3G's". The exact same thing is said at 2:27 in the video. I never hear a "one" anywhere near the 20.3G announcement.

The peak acceleration..was..20.3 g's
The 'was' sort of sounds like..one...
I thought the same thing..120.3 G's

Tony

The Multitronix Kate-3 tracking system was used by Evolution Space on a test flight to over 188,000 feet. This was an S45000 single stage rocket. Kate-3 controlled all flight operations as well as providing GPS tracking and telemetry downlink. More information including a video and some photos is available here.

This test flight demonstrated the unlimited altitude capability in the Kate-3 GPS tracking system. The maximum altitude was measured by the Kate-3 TelemetryPro GPS to be 188,444 feet. This is above the 164,000 feet operating limit of other GPS tracking systems. Furthermore, the Kate-3 system maintained a continuous telemetry downlink data stream during the entire flight. No data packets were lost even at over 188,000 feet.
That roar of the rocket lifting off was AWESOME!!! I am now in a very happy place!🚀

I do not know. I only provided the avionics. I am not involved with their business side of things.
Ballistic recovery is kind of hard on avionics. Hope they're paying for Kate...... Came in at over the lockout speed 1700ft/sec Mach 1.5. Says the nosecone failed to separate. Did the charges fire? Or was it non pyro ejection?

Last edited:
Ballistic recovery is kind of hard on avionics. Hope they're paying for Kate...... Came in at over the lockout speed 1700ft/sec Mach 1.5. Says the nosecone failed to separate. Did the charges fire? Or was it non pyro ejection?
Yes, they purchased custom avionics from Multitronix.

The pyro release device was fired but there was a mechanical failure that prevented nosecone release. The problem has been identified and fixed for the next flight.

Bwahahaha! Call it a value-add feature. :)
It's just a voice clip assembly. Don't see why it couldn't be a user selected choice. Bit like the bomb in Dark Star. In the beginning there was darkness...... Let there be light......... Go on Vern. Make it so number 1.....

Yes, they purchased custom avionics from Multitronix.

The pyro release device was fired but there was a mechanical failure that prevented nosecone release. The problem has been identified and fixed for the next flight.
Was any of the onboard footage recovered? Report that you posted said they had not located the impact site.

Seems that not getting the laundry out is the largest point of failure for all amateur rocketry. Might be useful if Tripoli or NAR had some basic guidelines on specific parachutes in specific tube sizes with specific nosecone fits at specific temperatures with specific material choices for both tube and nosecone that work..... :) What's the temperature at 188K ft

Back