Just launched my first model rocket ever!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand the concept of photographing your own launches. I think you miss a lot when you're looking at a tiny image on a little LCD screen. As others have recommended though, it's a good idea to join a club. Then you can have someone else photograph your launches and you can reciprocate when it's their turn. Another bonus is that you get to watch dozens of flights instead of just a few (of your own).

I know what you mean, but I still photograph all my launches. I usually take video, while my son or his girlfriend takes stills. Yes, I'm watching my launches through a viewfinder, and I have thought many times about just watching them with taking video. But I always do, and I'm glad. I love going back and looking at all the photos and watching the videos. It brings back a lot of good memories for me.

Now you've done it. You're hooked for life! I launched my first model rocket, an Estes Alpha III, in 1973. My father loved watching me launch them, and I have many fond memories with him. Over the years my rocketry activity slowed down, but never totally stopped. Even as an adult, after I moved out, I would go to my dad's and we'd launch rockets in the school field across the street, especially on the 4th of July. I just wish he was still around to see what I'm doing now...

While I never really got out of rocketry, I did take the occasional hiatus, due to life. Marriage, a kid, school, working, etc. But now I'm back into it more than ever before. Many of us here are what we call BAR's - Born Again Rocketeers. I attended my first club launch in 2009, and although I didn't fly anything, I was re-hooked! I love the club atmosphere. A bunch of people getting together with a common interest. And you'll find that rocketeers are some of the friendliest, most helpful people you'll ever encounter. And the launches you'll see can be downright spectacular! I technically became a BAR in 2010, and haven't looked back. I have achieved many things that I never thought I would. I went from this to this in just a few years!

I envy you in some ways, you've got all that discovery ahead of you. You're going to have a blast! (No pun intended!)

My father passed away when I was 13 so I dont really have another male adult to share the experience with, but that's fine because my mother still attended my launch haha.
ALso does anyone suggest a next rocket for me? I really like the replica ones. I dont like the standard missile shaped rocket. I was thinking of a Saturn V but I dunno it looks pretty hard to assemble.

Last edited:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?38315-Older-(Cobra-Labeled)-Estes-Motors

The Yard Sale/Wanted section is near the bottom of the main index page. Rockets and other rocketry stuff can be found there for lower than retail cost. Look around there, don't be suprised to find the scale real rockets you're looking for. Make sure you get to the bottom of the page for the latest postings and prices.

"Have been sitting in the basement for a number of years"
Im getting the vibe of old dynamite.
Are these safe?

My father passed away when I was 13 so I dont really have another male adult to share the experience with, but that's fine because my mother still attended my launch haha.
ALso does anyone suggest a next rocket for me? I really like the replica ones. I dont like the standard missile shaped rocket. I was thinking of a Saturn V but I dunno it looks pretty hard to assemble.

I'm very sorry to hear about your father's passing, but I'm glad your mom is going with you. Heck, you need to get her to build her own rocket and join in the fun! My mother doesn't get around very well these days, but I've been able to take her to a couple of club launches. She has a hoot! She especially loves watching the little kids and how excited they get.

If by "replica" rockets you mean scale or semi-scale, the choices are almost endless. Estes, Quest, and Semroc are the first to come to mind. Hobbylinc sells a lot of the Estes and Quest kits at great discounts. Semroc kits are a little pricier, but their kits are absolutely brilliant, and come with great instructions. They give unusually good customer service and support, too. There are also The Launch Pad and Dr. Zooch kits, which are a little more challenging. I'm sure there are others, and people will be sure to chime in with their favorites.

As you get further along in the hobby, you can start thinking about scratch building scale rockets. That can be very challenging, but very rewarding at the same time. I've only built one, a 1/2 scale version of the Aerojet Astrobee-D. It turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself!

311_outside.jpg

DSCF3031.JPG

DSCF3034.JPG

I'm very sorry to hear about your father's passing, but I'm glad your mom is going with you. Heck, you need to get her to build her own rocket and join in the fun! My mother doesn't get around very well these days, but I've been able to take her to a couple of club launches. She has a hoot! She especially loves watching the little kids and how excited they get.

If by "replica" rockets you mean scale or semi-scale, the choices are almost endless. Estes, Quest, and Semroc are the first to come to mind. Hobbylinc sells a lot of the Estes and Quest kits at great discounts. Semroc kits are a little pricier, but their kits are absolutely brilliant, and come with great instructions. They give unusually good customer service and support, too. There are also The Launch Pad and Dr. Zooch kits, which are a little more challenging. I'm sure there are others, and people will be sure to chime in with their favorites.

As you get further along in the hobby, you can start thinking about scratch building scale rockets. That can be very challenging, but very rewarding at the same time. I've only built one, a 1/2 scale version of the Aerojet Astrobee-D. It turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself!

Quest has delivered.
Theres no way Im not getting this:
https://www.questaerospace.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FUTURE_LAUNCH_VEHICL
Will my stash of growing estes engines and supplies work with this Quest rocket?

Will my stash of growing estes engines and supplies work with this Quest rocket?

Estes works with Quest rockets! Same as the other miscellaneous supplies that you will have acquired.

I shared a similar experience as your first flight. I'm going to be a Junior at Purdue University, already was studying rocket science when I decided it would be a good time to go out and launch one for myself! It was one thing to study and design CAD mockups, run simulations, etc., and another altogether to fly one! I bought a Quest kit at the beginning of this summer, built and launched it about 6 times. Then I immediately bought a high-power kit from Madcow, and have now finished a custom semi-scale high power rocket, and am working on finishing a third HPR before I go back to school.

So yes, it is very addicting!

Nice find! Thanks! Saved money = more money to spend on engines ;)
And more engines = more launches!
Aaaaand more launches = MORE FUUUN :D

If it were me, I'd upgrade this one to a 24mm motor mount, so I could fly it on C11's and D12's. But that's just me.

If it were me, I'd upgrade this one to a 24mm motor mount, so I could fly it on C11's and D12's. But that's just me.

The area I've got to launch isnt very big and is basically a clearing, on one side its a forest and on the other side its a lake, so anything highpowered I fear would go too far and Id lose it in the canopies or in the drink.
So for the mean time Ill have to stick with my C's.
Thanks for the suggestion though!

"Have been sitting in the basement for a number of years"
Im getting the vibe of old dynamite.
Are these safe?

Actually the basement is most likely the best place to store black powder motor due to the fact most stay at a fairly constant temp. It's heat cycleing that damages the motors, getting them hot then cold is not good for them or cold then hot for that matter. They can develop cracks in the grain that allows too rapid expansion the burning surface and the more surface area exposed the higher the pressure.

Dynamite on the other hand is Nitro Glycerin mixed with clay. There is an old movie where the crooks were using dynamite and in the heat the dynamite was sweating out the nitro. Their expert wiped his finger down a stick and flicked the drop onto the wall and it exploded with a loud pop, startleing the rest of the gang :)

Actually the basement is most likely the best place to store black powder motor due to the fact most stay at a fairly constant temp. It's heat cycleing that damages the motors, getting them hot then cold is not good for them or cold then hot for that matter. They can develop cracks in the grain that allows too rapid expansion the burning surface and the more surface area exposed the higher the pressure.

Dynamite on the other hand is Nitro Glycerin mixed with clay. There is an old movie where the crooks were using dynamite and in the heat the dynamite was sweating out the nitro. Their expert wiped his finger down a stick and flicked the drop onto the wall and it exploded with a loud pop, startleing the rest of the gang :)

Well I didnt really mean like its gonna explode but I meant like, will it burn faster, will the ejection charge go off late, is the clay caps cracking etc.
Because I saw a video on youtube of a guy firing a 25 year old D engine in a rocket and the engine went straight out the nose cone shredding the rocket because the clay was old and cracking, and the solid fuel burned unevenly and the ejection charge went off right away.

I know what you mean, but I still photograph all my launches. I usually take video, while my son or his girlfriend takes stills. Yes, I'm watching my launches through a viewfinder, and I have thought many times about just watching them with taking video. But I always do, and I'm glad. I love going back and looking at all the photos and watching the videos. It brings back a lot of good memories for me.

I can understand wanting to photograph your own flights. I've enjoyed photos and videos that others have taken of my flights and have considered taking my own, but I don't want to miss the big picture. How about if you had a co-flier use your camera to film your launches, or would that take the fun out of it?

I really like the replica ones. I dont like the standard missile shaped rocket. I was thinking of a Saturn V but I dunno it looks pretty hard to assemble.

Semroc Cherokee D... Nice replica of the Estes Cherokee D.

or do you mean scale model?

Where I'd suggest you pick up an Honest John somewhere.

Don't go too big until you've built up your skill base, otherwise you may find yourself disappointed with the results.

Congratulations on the first flight Odo. Nothing like getting that first one accomplished. Or the 1000th for that matter. Enjoy!

Semroc Cherokee D... Nice replica of the Estes Cherokee D.

or do you mean scale model?

Where I'd suggest you pick up an Honest John somewhere.

Don't go too big until you've built up your skill base, otherwise you may find yourself disappointed with the results.

I mean like replicas of real life rockets. My rocket is a replica of the SpaceX Falcon 9.
Saturn V rockets, Soyuz rocket ETC. replicas of real ones ya know? I dont like the missile shape all of the rockets seem to be.

Just got back from the field again! Launched 4 more times with my trusty falcon 9! After a close call with losing dragon nosecone since it seperates entirely (It almost landed in the lake) I made a quick on the field modification. Just snipped the strings on the parachute of the dragon and then tied it to the shock cord. So now it all drifts down on one parachute and doesnt get lost. Pretty handy having a pocket knife on you.
Anyway all launches were much better then my first 2. Much cooler day, and a lot less wind.
To my delight I accumulated a small gathering of watchers :)
There was 3 elderly gentleman all with their grandkids watching my rocket from a pagoda in the park about 100 yards away. I could still hear their comments from the distance so it was nice hearing praise about how that particular launch was really good. I think they must have launched rockets when they were young :) Their grand kids had a good time too! I let one of them go retrieve my rocket for me, he liked that a lot! :eek:

Also, my mom bought a rocket and I built it for her. She picked out the Estes Metalizer. We are gonna launch it tomorrow on a B-6-6 along with my Falcon 9, cant wait to get a second rocket on the field!

So at the end of the day Ive got more engines from my shopping spree, more ignitors and plugs, and a new rocket!
More importantly, 6 launches under my belt!! :D

Last edited:
If you like (semi-) scale models, definitely check out the Dr. Zooch line of kits.

https://www.unclemikesrocketshack.com/Dr_Zooch.html

He has a huge line of rockets mostly based on famous historical space vehicles. Some are pretty complicated and some are quite simple. In any case as you build a few more rockets you will find your skills improving and you can step up the scope of your projects.

(Your first post here contained a key line -- you (mostly) followed the directions!! :headbang: In my experience with young rocketeers -- and my OWN experience years and years and years ago -- deciding to 'skip' parts of the directions is usually where things start going wrong. :y: If you stick with the directions until you have enough experience to know when you can 'fudge' things a bit, for the most part you should be fine.)

Sounds like your mom is having fun too!! It is always good to have more eyes (and feet) at launches so that is a very good thing for you. :clap::clap:

If you like (semi-) scale models, definitely check out the Dr. Zooch line of kits.

He has a huge line of rockets mostly based on famous historical space vehicles. Some are pretty complicated and some are quite simple. In any case as you build a few more rockets you will find your skills improving and you can step up the scope of your projects.

(Your first post here contained a key line -- you (mostly) followed the directions!! :headbang: In my experience with young rocketeers -- and my OWN experience years and years and years ago -- deciding to 'skip' parts of the directions is usually where things start going wrong. :y: If you stick with the directions until you have enough experience to know when you can 'fudge' things a bit, for the most part you should be fine.)

Sounds like your mom is having fun too!! It is always good to have more eyes (and feet) at launches so that is a very good thing for you. :clap::clap:

What do you mean? I followed the directions very well. After it was all done I added a few personal touches to it, thats what I meant by personal modifications.
Nothing flight changing, it flies great in my opinion! Its only ever flied a bit to the side is when a gust of wind came right at ignition.

Also after browsing a few minutes on Dr Zooch I already found 3 rockets I must have. I am limiting myself to one new rocket, so you guys need to quit posting such epic rocket sites! (Ive got 6 already from you guys I wish I could have :eyeroll:)
I think Ill get the space launch system from Dr Zooch, looks really great and easy to build!

Welcome to the hobby!

Sounds like you should start your wish list and/or early Christmas list!

Have fun.

Jerome :)

Dang you!!!! I couldn't resist picking up one of those Shenzhou kits. Guess I should get to know the local rocketry before I (Lord willing) get there.

克感謝 ;)

I know, aren't they great? For a plastic rocket, well, some of it's paper, they are pretty cool. One thing is the fins are only semi transparent but I don't see that as too big a problem. I think you need Testor's model cement to put them together. Hobby Lobby has the old, real thing, don't-breath-it-in plastic cement. I quit building plastic models when the came out with that "safe" goop. Waaaay too many kids were huffing the older glue and something had to be done, too many kids in the ER with permanent brain damage. I never thought it was worth it and really didn't like just smelling it putting together a model.

Now that I can get the real thing I MIGHT start building plastic models again :)

I know, aren't they great? For a plastic rocket, well, some of it's paper, they are pretty cool. One thing is the fins are only semi transparent but I don't see that as too big a problem. I think you need Testor's model cement to put them together. Hobby Lobby has the old, real thing, don't-breath-it-in plastic cement. I quit building plastic models when the came out with that "safe" goop. Waaaay too many kids were huffing the older glue and something had to be done, too many kids in the ER with permanent brain damage. I never thought it was worth it and really didn't like just smelling it putting together a model.

Now that I can get the real thing I MIGHT start building plastic models again :)

Yeah. I am having issues choosing between one of those chinese rockets, or the Dr Zooch SLS rocket. Does anyone know the quality of either of them so I can compare?

Welcome to the hobby!

Sounds like you should start your wish list and/or early Christmas list!

Have fun.

Jerome :)

Yeah haha well Hobby Lobby already has christmas decorations for some reason, Im sure that means I can also start asking for something for christmas too ;)

Also after browsing a few minutes on Dr Zooch I already found 3 rockets I must have. I am limiting myself to one new rocket, so you guys need to quit posting such epic rocket sites! (Ive got 6 already from you guys I wish I could have :eyeroll:)
I think Ill get the space launch system from Dr Zooch, looks really great and easy to build!

Only Six rockets? You need to try harder... ;)

Here's an idea to whet your appetite go browsing through the old Estes catalogs. Theres a lot of classic rockets in there.

All The Best!
Jim

Latest posts

Back