July 7th MMMSC + CMASS Joint Launch Breakfast And Beyond

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I knew, I would have looked for that one too! Whats it look like?

It wasn't too far from that road. I'll search as well, I want my adept22 back! I'm going to check the other entrance to that road, possibly wander about those woods.

It's a Hot Rod Buffalo DD, silver nose cone, and black/white body. It looks annoyingly like a birch log... 2.6" airframe, and about 3 feet long. 24" green chute and a 6" orange drouge.

I honestly think a thorough sweep through those woods would produce a large quantity of rockets...

If you go, keep in mind the woods are thick with new growth pine trees, impossible to 'see' through. If your rocket is in one of those growths, you'll never see it unless you walk through it. The canopy is very thick right now and the deer flies are relentless so lots of bug spray! Bring a separate can to spray around you. The road is passable by car(barely) so I suggest a high clearance vehicle with 4WD. Behind the last house (#25) are campers, they are close to the river. There is a trail next to the river made by an ATV. If you have an ATV, bring it, it will help. This fall I will walk around over there and I bet I'll find a lot of rockets!

Good luck tomorrow, you'll need it!

Yes, I spent a lot of time back in those woods bushwhacking along the stream bank (to the NE of the location marked in the photo above) looking for my Warlock. The trees and undergrowth were very thick, and impenetrable in many places. There were also lots of nasty thorns, thistles, and bugs of the biting variety. I emerged from the woods in fairly damaged condition. :p

I never saw my Warlock, though I could have walked within 50 feet of it and never seen it through the trees and underbrush. Just in case anyone sees it on their searches today, it was 7.5" in diameter, about 50" long, 7.5" in diameter, painted primer white, and had a 58" blue nylon 'chute.

Wear long pants, and lots of bug juice - Good luck!

Last edited:
The two rockets in the line of trees near the Porta-Potty are most likely mine, and both have been there since last fall. The closest to the Porta-Potty is a white & black Launch Pad AIM-23A model. The rocket is pretty mushy looking at this point, but it does have a 24mm AT-style motor casing inside, so I check the tree every time I come down. The one further along is a yellow-and-black Aura, with a long orange streamer. It has no salvage value by now ... :(

The two rockets in the line of trees near the Porta-Potty are most likely mine, and both have been there since last fall. The closest to the Porta-Potty is a white & black Launch Pad AIM-23A model. The rocket is pretty mushy looking at this point, but it does have a 24mm AT-style motor casing inside, so I check the tree every time I come down. The one further along is a yellow-and-black Aura, with a long orange streamer. It has no salvage value by now ... :(

Any chance of bringing it down with a long rope?

Yes, I spent a lot of time back in those woods bushwhacking along the stream bank (to the NE of the location marked in the photo above) looking for my Warlock. The trees and undergrowth were very thick, and impenetrable in many places. There were also lots of nasty thorns, thistles, and bugs of the biting variety. I emerged from the woods in fairly damaged condition. :p

I never saw my Warlock, though I could have walked within 50 feet of it and never seen it through the trees and underbrush. Just in case anyone sees it on their searches today, it was 7.5" in diameter, about 50" long, 7.5" in diameter, painted primer white, and had a 58" blue nylon 'chute.

Wear long pants, and lots of bug juice - Good luck!

Aye, that area was pretty thick wasn't it? You had a great up part of the flight, bummer that you couldn't locate it.

I hope that someone got a chance to look for it over this weekend. The dry weather is excellent for keeping the ply and paper rockets salvageable!

Any chance of bringing it down with a long rope?

IIRC, the AIM23 is actually partially wrapped around a branch (soggy!) about 35-40 ft up, so any rope/slingshot will most likely grab the branch. The Aura is about 60 ft up a pine, so I'm not sure if it's reachable. The nose cone and the streamer might still be useful, though.

Yes, "Old Salt" is now safely on the ground.

Turns out my prediction of where it landed (see above posts) was only 20 meters off of the actual location!

We did not end up searching for others. I would definitely wait for the fall, it's so thick back there that a rocket in the trees could be missed even if you looked right at it.

Yes, I have all the parts and pieces in my front hallway and will be bringing them down to CMASS on the 21st. if all goes as planed. Other than spending a few days in the trees it is not damaged as far as I can tell. The electronics are not visible but there was no rain since the launch. and it was side ways in the tree not hanging down vert.

Scott

Yes, I have all the parts and pieces in my front hallway and will be bringing them down to CMASS on the 21st. if all goes as planed. Other than spending a few days in the trees it is not damaged as far as I can tell. The electronics are not visible but there was no rain since the launch. and it was side ways in the tree not hanging down vert.

Scott

Did you do any logging if you know what I mean?

There was some collateral damage with regard to some of the indigenous personnel. But no asprin factories were damaged in this operation.

It's early December, anyone have a chance to look for lost rockets next to the river? I'll take a ride up during the week of Christmas and look around. Anyone care to join me?

Back