Jolly Logic Locator Product

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like a carpenter/home builder who lives in a trailer 'cause he's so busy building other peoples houses! As a result, wife divorces him 'cause he don't have time to build her a house.

Isn't there also some legal issues with autonomous flight? I thought you could not fly out of visual range. Seeing the drone, FPV does not count. (except Amazon, of course)

Isn't there also some legal issues with autonomous flight? I thought you could not fly out of visual range. Seeing the drone, FPV does not count. (except Amazon, of course)

No, there are no laws against autonomous flight or FPV. The FAA, however, has guidelines that flyers should follow and the AMA has a Safety Code similar to NAR's (but, neither forbid autonomous flight or FPV). I don't think it matters for what John is suggesting, anyway.

-- Roger

Last edited:
I fly fixed wing setups, electric mostly, ranging in size from micro to about 2m span. I have a cheapie foamboard FliteTest Explorer that would be the perfect test bed for a device like this: large wing span, low loading, and super long endurance if I stuff two of my 2100mAh batteries in it. It'll do 20+ minutes on one 2100mAh if I don't leave it at wide-open throttle and it wouldn't even notice the weight of a device the size of what you are suggesting. If I could find a model by flying a model airplane around at 30+MPH, I could search a lot of area far more quickly and waste far less time recovering. As always, price point is the key.

Oh, and I fly with the MTMA club in NE Ohio near Cleveland.

If you need endurance or just an eye in the sky, how bout a tethered blimp? It would sit silently watching and listening with no drones buzzing the fight line. I get that a drone could zip out and scan the downed bird. A blimp could boost signal or give anther perspective.. Add a gimbaled camera and maybe someway to spin the Blimp if need be Then send in the drones if you need too. Just a thought as I didn't watch the video.

Mike

Yep, solar panel is a good idea.
The army uses balloons all the time out here at Fort Polk. I am not sure all the gadgets they have on them, I haven't gotten close enough to tell. Can bet its cameras and probably some sort of comma equipment. Pretty neat though.

That is an excellent idea for the R/C averse launch sites. If a balloon tethered monitor gives one a final lie, wouldn't need a drone to "investigate". Just go to the exact point and pickup the rocket. Kurt

I like the Balloon idea a 100' tether would "see" for a long ways at our launch site unless the rocket happened to land in the one area that has a small gully. The whole concept here is interesting.

Back