Jolly Logic Locator Product

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beans

Founder, Jolly Logic
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you who have seen my NARCON presentations on rocketry electronics (here is a link to the most recent), you know I'm working on a locator product. I'll need some future help with this, just like I've gotten your help with Chute Release.

It's early, but right now I'd like to know how many of you have--or know someone who has--a drone or other RC flyer (plane, moto-glider, heli) that they might be willing to use at a launch to help people find their rockets. Specifically, I'd like to know which group launches you attend (where a fair number of others are flying at the same time, not a private field), and whether you'd be willing to donate some time helping to beta test a locator product. A drone is NOT a requirement for the product, but if you watch the video above you'll understand how it might be useful. So, although it's early in the product development cycle, I'd appreciate it you'd raise your hand and say "I fly with X group in Y city, and I have access to a Z drone/plane/heli we could test with."

The above video is also kind of interesting in that you can see how the Chute Release concept changed (here's the link to point in the same video) since I first began prototyping it (earlier in the video).

Thanks for your help!

I understand the desire to have an airborne relay. We played with that ten years ago. But the local Tripoli field thinks that it is too much of a distraction to have UAS flying. But perhaps that could be worked around with education and a solid plan...

...the local Tripoli field thinks that it is too much of a distraction to have UAS flying. But perhaps that could be worked around with education and a solid plan...

Yeah, that makes sense. As I mentioned, the product doesn't depend on it. I just need help testing that aspect of it, and I'm not worried that the current discomfort with drones (or other RC craft) is a permanent thing. It might seem funny for my first message to discuss that, but it will speed up development (even for situations where drones aren't used) for various technical reasons.

In the video you can hear when someone in the audience suggests using drones right before I show that slide, which was kind of humorous.

No one needs a drone buzzing around the flight line. Until it helps you find the rocket you worked so hard on. One drone flying 400 feet up making a one mile circle staying way away from the flight line could save a lot of people a lot of time walking the wrong direction through farmers' crops.

I have a 450 size quadcopter with a 10 minute +/- endurance that I can bring to Snow Ranch. I won't be able to make the March launch, but should be able to come to the April launch. It isn't autonomous, and it isn't FPV yet, so the flight are limited to close to me, but I would love to help you out. I plan on getting a FPV setup, and I can remove the Gopro and gimbal for more endurance.

Here is a pic of it:
_MG_9679.jpg

I also have a plane that I am planning on making fully autonomous with a 90+ minute endurance, that could potentially fly wide circles and relay the info back only landing to swap batteries. I have actually thought of building the plane with an APRS scanner in it, so I could record all APRS beacons and relay them back to the ground station, but the plane is still in the planning stage. I think this idea may be onto something...

I have a DJI Phantom 3 Professional that I fly at local launches here in Central Florida. If I can help, let me know.

-- Roger

I don't have a drone, but I would love to help test a GPS locator. Next major flights are Fire In The Sky in central Washington, Memorial Day weekend.

I fly with CMASS and have access to a Phantom 3 pro and some 2m electric sailplanes.

Some groups forbid R/C at launch sites on private property so that nixes the use of drones. I've seen the prohibition posted on websites. Perhaps it jeopardizes the rocketry insurance? Have a mishap involving a drone
at a launch and one might be left out to hang.

The net idea harks back to APRS as I've heard where some individuals have placed digipeaters downrange of an intended flight path to relay position packets.

Now for flying in the wide open spaces, it may have utility for some far ranging flights. Send the drone to the last known packet and perhaps it could re-acquire another signal for relay back to a ground station. Another thing is the drone could be placed at altitude (if allowed) and give a better line of site to the transmitting antenna from the rocket. In that situation you would be marketing a device for a niche hobby to a "niche" group of individuals who do these kind of flights.
Would enough buy into it when standard APRS/NMEA tracking is pretty sufficient just to get that absolute lie of the downed rocket right off the bat?

Having tracked a fair share of sport rockets via APRS and NMEA I don't think a network system would be that helpful unless it was dirt cheap and very small.
With landing zones 2 to 5 miles away (depending on the tracker and frequency) , a last known position usually can be had to direct one to the ground footprint of the GPS tracker for a final position fix if it's not seen from the last known (in the air) fix site.

Disadvantages to a Net system? Having to set it up and take it down. Maybe not so bad at a large multi-day launch but with a limited number of receivers, how to place them? Don't have enough? If the wind changes, some rockets may go out of range anyways. Everyone would have to buy into the same device. Use APRS/NMEA and anyone with a receiver could tune on frequency and monitor.

This concept is not as much of a no-brainer as the chute release device. That one is a hands down game changer.

I await to hear more details on the net tracker concept. Pricing is going to be very critical here. Charge too much of a premium and not so many buy in to recover the cost of development.

Kurt Savegnago

Last edited:
I probably made a mistake diving into the middle of the topic like this. I keep forgetting that very few people go to the annual national convention, so for most people on the forum you won't have heard my thoughts in past years on locators and my vision for how they should work. Drones are NOT a big part of it. They are something you think of down the line (as you'll hear people at NARCON chime in with during the presentation, if you listen to it).

The key concept is that the locators are small, and they are all cooperative. There isn't such a thing on the market today; today each person brings their own tracker to the launch, and they actually hope they don't CONFLICT with each other and make the situation worse. Some with the best range require a HAM license. Most people are not interested in getting a HAM license. Some require cell phone service. Most people don't want a cell phone bill for their rockets, and some locations don't have cell service at all. Some are bulky. Some make you walk around like Mr Magoo zig-zagging and listening.

Kurt, there's no "setup" or "teardown" with the system I'm developing. Any locator turned on at a launch would automatically cooperate with any other one there, and the more there are and the more people walk around (or drive around in their trucks, whatever), the more the network "sees." Every flight of a locator in a rocket is a "satellite scanner" from the sky, for instance. Some forward-thinking clubs with little hills or known flight patterns would be wise to set a few out, but they wouldn't have to. If there's a place rockets are tending to drift, that area would tend to get automatically "lit up" (in the radio sense) by locators.

Nobody can "see" the location of your stuff unless you give them explicit permission (like if you want them to fetch your stuff while they are out there, or members of the same family or TARC team, for instance). Nonetheless, in the background their equipment is helping your equipment, all encrypted and invisibly. It's part of the DNA of the product that in the background your stuff is helping other people, and vice versa.

As for drones, I think the photos and videos they are beginning to take are really cool. Just a simple change of perspective by moving 100 feet back and 100 feet up creates a more dramatic launch shot, like the photos and videos SCRocketFan has shared with me from our launches together, and the arial one from Facebook recently from ABOVE a side-arcing flight in the wind. Much more interesting (to me) than the standard "ground level from in front, then blue sky and clouds" standard fare we're used to. Much more epic to see the surrounding crowd and countryside during lift.

Like I said, it's one thing to be annoyed by someone else's drone buzzing around. It's another thing to be able to say, "Hey, could you fly over that corn field and scan it for my rocket?" And then boom, after a couple of minutes a marker pops up on your phone, plus an exact bearing and distance. Beats the hell out of searching for an hour.

It's another thing to be able to say, "Hey, could you fly over that corn field and scan it for my rocket?" And then boom, after a couple of minutes a marker pops up on your phone, plus an exact bearing and distance. Beats the hell out of searching for an hour.

This sounds like a fantastic idea. The idea of having each flight with a locator (be it rocket, drone, plane, etc) seek out others sounds great. As someone who has spent hours looking for rockets that drifted too far or landed in corn (the corn flight even had a drone to help search visually), this could be very helpful.

Also, I do happen to have a Phantom 3 if the drone part is helpful at LUNAR...

The key concept is that the locators are small, and they are all cooperative.

Understanding that this is very much a product still under development, do you have any preliminary estimates of size and mass of the ready-to-fly beacon?

Thanks,
James

Understanding that this is very much a product still under development, do you have any preliminary estimates of size and mass of the ready-to-fly beacon?

About the size of Chute Release, but narrower, a little longer. A short antenna.

Maybe fits in a 24mm airframe. Easily fits in 38mm.

Could ride with the chute, just like our altimeters. Rugged. Rechargeable. No "mounting," just turn it on, tether it up. Maybe with a Dino-Chutes-like Nomex sleeve to protect it.

Real-time altitude readings on your phone/tablet.

There aren't "bases" and "beacons," they are all the same. You need one near you to act as a base, but a base can be shared.

I probably made a mistake diving into the middle of the topic like this. I keep forgetting that very few people go to the annual national convention, so for most people on the forum you won't have heard my thoughts in past years on locators and my vision for how they should work. Drones are NOT a big part of it. They are something you think of down the line (as you'll hear people at NARCON chime in with during the presentation, if you listen to it).

The key concept is that the locators are small, and they are all cooperative. There isn't such a thing on the market today; today each person brings their own tracker to the launch, and they actually hope they don't CONFLICT with each other and make the situation worse. Some with the best range require a HAM license. Most people are not interested in getting a HAM license. Some require cell phone service. Most people don't want a cell phone bill for their rockets, and some locations don't have cell service at all. Some are bulky. Some make you walk around like Mr Magoo zig-zagging and listening.

Kurt, there's no "setup" or "teardown" with the system I'm developing. Any locator turned on at a launch would automatically cooperate with any other one there, and the more there are and the more people walk around (or drive around in their trucks, whatever), the more the network "sees." Every flight of a locator in a rocket is a "satellite scanner" from the sky, for instance. Some forward-thinking clubs with little hills or known flight patterns would be wise to set a few out, but they wouldn't have to. If there's a place rockets are tending to drift, that area would tend to get automatically "lit up" (in the radio sense) by locators.

Nobody can "see" the location of your stuff unless you give them explicit permission (like if you want them to fetch your stuff while they are out there, or members of the same family or TARC team, for instance). Nonetheless, in the background their equipment is helping your equipment, all encrypted and invisibly. It's part of the DNA of the product that in the background your stuff is helping other people, and vice versa.

As for drones, I think the photos and videos they are beginning to take are really cool. Just a simple change of perspective by moving 100 feet back and 100 feet up creates a more dramatic launch shot, like the photos and videos SCRocketFan has shared with me from our launches together, and the arial one from Facebook recently from ABOVE a side-arcing flight in the wind. Much more interesting (to me) than the standard "ground level from in front, then blue sky and clouds" standard fare we're used to. Much more epic to see the surrounding crowd and countryside during lift.

Like I said, it's one thing to be annoyed by someone else's drone buzzing around. It's another thing to be able to say, "Hey, could you fly over that corn field and scan it for my rocket?" And then boom, after a couple of minutes a marker pops up on your phone, plus an exact bearing and distance. Beats the hell out of searching for an hour.

All valid points for a nucleus of users who make the investment. That could be a problem for people who fly with a small group on an irregular basis. If nobody shows up with a compatible unit, some utility would be lost.......... Except if
your tracker and receiver would have comparable utility/range to be used by itself a' la something like an EggFinder, 900Mhz Beeline GPS tracker and a couple of others some in and some out of production.

If it were effective by itself and have connectivity to an Android or Windows tablet so one could have real time graphical tracking that would be a viable selling point too.

What I didn't mention before is if one has a graphical track of the rocket flight on descent in hand, one will have an idea of drift when that last position packet comes in from 100 feet up or so. Would know what direction to proceed to acquire a new signal if they weren't within the Rf footprint of the tracker when they get to that last known position. That could be judged by the direction of travel on one's map at-hand. A 900Mhz patch antenna can maximize reception range with a decent enough broad pattern so aiming the receive antenna from the base receiver would not be so critical while in flight.

I've found that a 900Mhz Yagi on the receive end, though not recommended for in-flight tracking, is easy enough to carry to the last known position and increases the Rf reception footprint of the downed rocket. Since the rocket is not moving around generally once it's down, it's easy enough to aim a narrow beam Yagi. (Unless of course somebody picked it up or the wind is dragging it across the ground. In the latter situation one can usually see the open chute from some distance away. I have video from onboard a rocket of me trying to chase the thing down while being wind blown across the field!)

Your proposed device would have the prospect of receiving a relayed position from another overhead rocket that has one of your trackers flying in it sending the position of their downed rocket. That would be a nice perk to get the final resting
place sooner rather than later.

Some random thoughts: Big advantage if ready built and not a kit like an EggFinder. Those electronic kit averse could consider it.

It would really have to have the ability of being an effective stand alone tracker comparable to other 900Mhz trackers for lone wolf use. If it's not that, I would only think a few large clubs might be interested but that's all.

Ability to do realtime tracking on a portable map is a big plus for people in the Midwest and areas where there are roads so a recovery path can be planned. Not so big for out West where there's wide open spaces.

Now this is a big one, the networking would need to be as free from a formal setup process as possible and completely transparent. If one has to "pair", "type" "codes" or do "this" or "that" check to get the devices to work together
that would handicap it immensely. One shows up at a big launch and you never know who's flying what tracker with what or on what frequency. If many show up with several "Jolly Beans GPS Locators" they would have to pair with their respective ground receivers and listen for and be ready to relay positions to others receivers. Granted that can be easier to do with digital protocols but one would have to look at throughput considerations.
I understand your salient paradigm that the overhead rocket would hear and relay the lat/long to my receiver only based on coding. I wouldn't mind being a good Samaritan as long as my primary position throughput is maintained
in flight.

I'd want MY rocket to give ME its position packets at a reasonable rate in flight and not be interrupting the real time stream re-transmitting positions of a bunch of rockets on the ground who might still be getting prepped for flight with their Jolly Beans GPS Trackers turned on. Granted one would only need to re-transmit a lat/long from a "guest" rocket with none of the other NMEA "stuff" which would cut down on the overhead a lot.

Then how many times is the in-flight rocket going to re-transmit the "guest" rocket(s) position? Are the tracker/receivers going to have two way capability? Say the in-flight rocket sends the position of my "guest" rocket that's lying on the ground waiting to be recovered and my receiver is going to transmit a "I got it signal" to the rocket in flight? Might be a dicey situation for that scenario if the in flight rocket is really moving out.

I can hear it now, "Hey, can you launch your Jolly Beans GPS Locator rocket this-a-way so's I can get a fix!! or Can you set your main deploy for 2000 feet so I can get a fix on my rocket!!":lol:

Boy, seems to me you are undertaking quite a task here John. Enjoy any future explanations you care to share.

Kurt Savegnago

Well, making it "easy to use" is kind of my "thing."

I wouldn't expect you to have to ask someone else to behave differently so that you could find your own rocket. And I wouldn't design something that wouldn't work if you were just using it yourself.

But I *do* think it's cool that a product could work better and better the more people that had it--not worse.

And yes I would hope it could suggest a search area based on flight path even after it lost contact.

My hope is that this would remove a big source of worry and free everyone to pursue whatever flying goals interest them, without worrying about losing all of the time and effort that they put into their rockets.

It's always surprised me how easily you can lose a rocket that you stood and watched as carefully as you could, and how long it can take to try and find it. I think that's worth working on.

John, you know you're just -killing- us here!!

Admittedly, I didn't have the patients to watch your nearly 1 hour presentation...on my phone :/

What the heck IS this thing?!

Any prototype pics? Size? Release date? Price?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

Well, making it "easy to use" is kind of my "thing."

I wouldn't expect you to have to ask someone else to behave differently so that you could find your own rocket. And I wouldn't design something that wouldn't work if you were just using it yourself.

But I *do* think it's cool that a product could work better and better the more people that had it--not worse.

And yes I would hope it could suggest a search area based on flight path even after it lost contact.

My hope is that this would remove a big source of worry and free everyone to pursue whatever flying goals interest them, without worrying about losing all of the time and effort that they put into their rockets.

It's always surprised me how easily you can lose a rocket that you stood and watched as carefully as you could, and how long it can take to try and find it. I think that's worth working on.

Yes, Simplification is a nice goal indeed. I also agree about the sickening feeling about wasting too much time trying to find ones projects when they can be flying more rockets. Especially with the fickle weather in the Midwest.

The fact remains that a final position from 75 to 100 feet (or higher) up in the air from a functioning GPS tracker is more than adequate for a recovery two to three miles away. Get to that point and likely one will be within the ground Rf footprint of the downed rocket barring topographical impediments. If one has been tracking with a map,
they proceed in the predicted direction and will get a final position fix. Unless of course the rocket sinks to the bottom of a lake or pond!:wink:

That capability is more than enough for a sport flier. In that regard let me present a cautionary note. The Chute Release offers a unique function not available anywhere else to justify the price. If a networked tracker price point is too high, I don't think the, "Gee whiz, you can get your final position fix from another overhead rocket relay station is going to support you for long." That in light of the fact there are other GPS tracking situations that
are perfectly adequate for sport fliers out there. One might pay to have an EggFinder set built for them as opposed to purchasing a Jolly Beans GPS Rocket Tracker.
I would note that one would have to purchase two of the devices in order to have a pair for communication.

Surely, I'd like the idea of knowing exactly where my downed rocket lies from the launchsite but the current crop of GPS locators do a darned good job already for the reasons I've already stated and others are likely to confirm. Question is, is the cost of your proposed system worth the added ability? If one is flying it by themselves, it will be no better than the current crop of 900Mhz GPS trackers. Granted, the added networking capability that can be had in place is an advantage if one were to take their device to a launch where others are flying the same thing. Again, price point is going to be a heck of a lot more critical here than what was had with the Chute Release. (Of which I purchased one I might add.)

Kurt Savegnago

I vote for Roger, and I would be more than happy to beta test for you John. I would love to put some of my smaller diameter rockets out of sight and get them back. My other tracker is too big.

Steve

"You'll need one near you to act as a base"

So you'll need to purchase 2 units or otherwise rely on a club unit or another flyer to track one rocket?

This sounds like a very cool product, but given that Jolly Logics are "premium" products I'm worried this is going to end up meaning like a minimum $500 outlay.

the current crop of GPS locators do a darned good job already for the reasons I've already stated and others are likely to confirm. Question is, is the cost of your proposed system worth the added ability?

Thanks for your thoughts, Kurt.

I think I'd distill you're saying as a combination of "Trackers are already good enough" and "I'm worried you'll come out with an expensive tracker and I'll have to buy it."

Before I commit to manufacturing a product, I ask myself, "Do I have something special to contribute that will expand the market, or am I just copying something that's already out there?" When I created AltimeterOne, it was because I thought that existing bare-board altimeters were NOT very convenient to use. AltimeterTwo is the first (and so far the only) product that instantly and clearly performs a complete rocket flight analysis in the field. I created AltimeterThree when I noticed that my cell phone was becoming my second computer. I think the versatility and convenience of Jolly Logic altimeters played at least a small part in the popularity of altimeters and the shift away from theodolites at contests.

On the other hand, you'll notice I've never made a deployment altimeter. There are a few things I could contribute there (built-in rechargeable power, snap-in modularity, wireless turn on) but in general I feel that they are good enough, and I'd just be splitting up the same pie rather than expanding the market. Plus, I really am not a fan of explosive deployment (it gets soot all over the rocket and equipment and it's dangerous to test) so at some point in the last couple of years I've turned my attention to electronic deployment (half of which is addressed by Chute Release, the other half of which I haven't talked about much yet). If I had my wish, we'd all just buy plugged motors and stop fiddling around with ejection delays. Such a huge source of problems. On the last flight of my North Coast Archer SA-14, I accidentally drilled too aggressively and I got an ejection delay of zero, so my chute deployed at max velocity. Luckily I had a very sturdy Fruity Chute on there, and Gene Engelgau (who is a fellow LUNAR member and owns Fruity) could inspect it and say that it was undamaged. But the rocket was zipped to the bulkhead.

Alas, with regards to a wireless locator, I'll just say this: yes, Kurt, you will have to buy it.

Sorry.

Various concepts of cooperative locators are covered by US Patents. I did the 'reduction to practice' for one such system for locating tagged assets, with each tag acting as a store and forward when others are out of RF range. (USP#5774876). Some of the related patents have expired, or will in the next couple years. But, it's something to take into consideration.

I'm trying to sort through the thread and what features are planned for the New John Beans Rocket Tracker (NJBRT). Below is my understanding--could you confirm or deny?

For a single user launching one rocket far from everyone else, it functions just like every other rocket tracker out there. The chip in the rocket sends a signal to the base station, which shows location. For the NJBRT, the base station is your smart phone.

Once you have multiple people in the area, the locators and base stations network themselves so that a signal that Rocket A sends can be picked up by Rocket B, relayed to Flier C, and then to Flier A. Flier B and C don't know the location of Rocket A unless Flier A has preset sharing with them. By Fliers here, I'm really talking about their smart phone base stations. You can keep adding complexity by adding Drone D supplied by the club or another flier, adding more rockets to each flier, etc.

To make a person want to buy the NJBRT as opposed to the competition, it has to be priced no more than the competition plus any value added over the competition. I see two sources of value here over and above any difference in prettiness or size. One is that you already own the base station, so nobody has to build and charge you for it. You also don't have to remember to pack the base station, cart it around, transfer info to your phone maps, etc. The second is that networking gives you a better chance of finding the rocket again by giving more routes for the signal to get to the end user's base station. If the direct path is blocked by rocks between here or there, then you get a signal from above. I don't know how common the second problem is and whether the major competition (eg BRB900) keeps displaying the last data packet received after it loses signal.

That said, I have not used a GPS tracker so far, so I don't know if there are other sources of value. The first value source is basically why I bought Chute Release--dual deploy wasn't really worth another can of explosives in my garage and the associated hassle.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I naturally leap into this kind of analysis, but I'm no expert.

Last edited:
I'm trying to sort through the thread and what features are planned for the New John Beans Rocket Tracker (NJBRT). Below is my understanding--could you confirm or deny?

Yep, that's pretty much it. I would add that while the network complexity goes up as more trackers are turned on, the *apparent* complexity does not. In other words, even if you got the location of your rocket via a drone bouncing off a flying rocket and then back to you, you wouldn't see any of that in-between stuff. It would just look like you had super range, and the ability to see around corners and over farm furrows.

Various concepts of cooperative locators are covered by US Patents. I did the 'reduction to practice' for one such system for locating tagged assets, with each tag acting as a store and forward when others are out of RF range. (USP#5774876). Some of the related patents have expired, or will in the next couple years. But, it's something to take into consideration.

John, thanks for the tip. Yeah, that's always a consideration. Though I doubt I'd pursue a patent for whatever I come up with, so I won't have to worry about steering around existing art in order to file a patent on it.

My friends and relatives are always wondering why I don't have more patents. I think they don't appreciate in practical terms what a patent means, they just think that anyone who designs something would want to patent it. But a patent doesn't prevent someone from copying you, it just gives you standing in court during a suit. So when someone copies your product, you can more confidently sue them. Which takes years and costs $XXX,XXX even if you have a strong case.

Patents make sense for big companies that need to defend themselves against other big companies. It's kind of a myth that patents protect the little guy who invents something. That's not really statistically true.

I took jsdemar's note to mean active patents that the holders could use to stop you, Jolly Logic, from practicing asset-asset locating and networking, not versa vice.

Thanks for your thoughts, Kurt.

I think I'd distill you're saying as a combination of "Trackers are already good enough" and "I'm worried you'll come out with an expensive tracker and I'll have to buy it."

Before I commit to manufacturing a product, I ask myself, "Do I have something special to contribute that will expand the market, or am I just copying something that's already out there?" When I created AltimeterOne, it was because I thought that existing bare-board altimeters were NOT very convenient to use. AltimeterTwo is the first (and so far the only) product that instantly and clearly performs a complete rocket flight analysis in the field. I created AltimeterThree when I noticed that my cell phone was becoming my second computer. I think the versatility and convenience of Jolly Logic altimeters played at least a small part in the popularity of altimeters and the shift away from theodolites at contests.

On the other hand, you'll notice I've never made a deployment altimeter. There are a few things I could contribute there (built-in rechargeable power, snap-in modularity, wireless turn on) but in general I feel that they are good enough, and I'd just be splitting up the same pie rather than expanding the market. Plus, I really am not a fan of explosive deployment (it gets soot all over the rocket and equipment and it's dangerous to test) so at some point in the last couple of years I've turned my attention to electronic deployment (half of which is addressed by Chute Release, the other half of which I haven't talked about much yet). If I had my wish, we'd all just buy plugged motors and stop fiddling around with ejection delays. Such a huge source of problems. On the last flight of my North Coast Archer SA-14, I accidentally drilled too aggressively and I got an ejection delay of zero, so my chute deployed at max velocity. Luckily I had a very sturdy Fruity Chute on there, and Gene Engelgau (who is a fellow LUNAR member and owns Fruity) could inspect it and say that it was undamaged. But the rocket was zipped to the bulkhead.

Alas, with regards to a wireless locator, I'll just say this: yes, Kurt, you will have to buy it.

Sorry.

You're welcome. You're simplification of my post is correct. I'm all for innovation and a networking solution has the potential to give one an added edge. How much of an edge it will give over current offerings might not
be that much for the bulk of the fliers out there. Siccing a "Fido" Drone out to where the last known position was had 5 miles away would be very unique and reassuring for the flier who has flights of that level.

I have enough trackers already and will not likely be in a situation where a networked tracking system would help me anymore than
a standard GPS tracker. You'll have enough folks clamoring to test the system if and when you bring it to fruition.

Yes, I will say that standard GPS trackers are good enough for sport fliers and I will be direct in stating to better keep that in mind in your development. Price point is going to take serious consideration. You hit a grand slam with the chute release because there wasn't anything out there like it at all period. You know it and everyone else knows it. I agree coming out with another deployment altimeter wasn't necessarily going to be earth shaking. (Unless it's a $5.00 one! :lol:)

A networked tracking system might not have that much to add for a sport flier over the current offerings the Multitronix system aside. (https://www.multitronix.com/) (I say that due to the $$$$$. Truly high-end with impressive flight monitoring. Not likely to be purchased by a casual flier:wink:) Why spend more than an EggFinder if your's doesn't add that much for the ability to find and recover a rocket in the scenario that most sport fliers
fly under?

Now if I was just starting out without a GPS tracker and in an area where everyone has a networked Jolly Logic GPS Rocket Locator and I don't have to whore myself to buy one, your darned right I'd get two as I'd want every extra edge I could get to ensure I'd get my flying investment back. (One to fly, one to have as the receiving station. I like your idea of everything the same using transceivers.) Sheesh, APRS tracking was
close to a grand $$$$$ nine years ago.

The question you have to ask yourself is if "Joe Flier without a GPS tracker" is in an area where they would be using your device independently, would they pay "X" number of $$$$ extra to have networking capability ready to go?

Best of luck with development. Kurt Savegnago

I took jsdemar's note to mean active patents that the holders could use to stop you, Jolly Logic, from practicing asset-asset locating and networking, not versa vice.

Yeah, I got that.

Now if I was just starting out without a GPS tracker and in an area where everyone has a networked Jolly Logic GPS Rocket Locator and I don't have to whore myself to buy one, your darned right I'd get two as I'd want every extra edge I could get to ensure I'd get my flying investment back

There have got to be better ways to get money for your rocketry habit, Kurt.

Patents make sense for big companies that need to defend themselves against other big companies. It's kind of a myth that patents protect the little guy who invents something. That's not really statistically true.

Although that is generally true, there are several good reasons to file for a patent. I personally have not justified doing so, but have helped others, big and small. A small company may find it helpful to add leverage when seeking investors or courting a larger company to buy them out. For others, if the small market is significant for a company, a patent in hand plus a $100 letter from an attorney may be enough to convince a competitor to find something else to work on. For some individual inventors, even a design patent (as compared to a utility patent) helps protect the look&feel marketability beyond simply filing a trademark. Unique claims are not required in that case.

The main reason not to disclose an invention though a patent is to keep the inner workings secret and proprietary. This isn't easy to do in this age of open technology, but it affords some level of difficulty for the casual cloner (as compared to the Chinese!). Another good reason not to disclose a design is to hide the company's knowledge that they're infringing on someone's patent claims.

I have electric R/C planes from 12" to 78" wingspan. I'm happy to make any of them available for this testing. I go to Snow Ranch and SARG typically, Moffett (although this is going away). I go to at least one Black Rock launch a year (3 launches some years). I plan to attend at least one ROC launch this year. I don't go to TCC much anymore.

I also fly with a large R/C club (SCCMAS.org) in Morgan Hill. The club has an 800' paved runway and flies everything up to 1/3 scale warbirds and full turbine jets.

Ari.

Back