Is there a way to sim a rocket with spherical fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could create the model with pods. However, it won't be stable: the spherical fins won't contribute to CP.
1706132287490.png

ORK attached below.

Attachments

• spherical_fins.ork
    1 KB · Views: 0
Yes Mr. RSO. Base drag is my friend!

Do the gaps give a good place to put the launch rod?

All those balls remind me of an SNL skit with ole shoot-em's Baldwin.
There is space for a 3/16" rod to go through. I have a brass tube as a guide above the balls. Will post a final picture after it is painted. Will spin test it then also.

Champion Sports 1 Star Table Tennis Ball Pack - Solid Multicolor Ping Pong Balls, Set of 6, with 40mm Seamless Design - Recreation Table Tennis Equipment, Accessories​

https://a.co/d/88m9rnR

Bt 60 coupler tube I had lying around.
Super glue to attach the balls.

Last edited:
I have no doubts it will be stable. I am just wanting to get altitude estimates and the delay times needed.

Mainly because it has a fairly heavy nose cone and is quite long. I am new to using open rocket (a long time rocksim user). Will look at the drag calculations on the file you posted.
Thank you for doing that, it is much nicer than the one I created!

Last edited:
Mainly because it has a fairly heavy nose cone and is quite long. I am new to using open rocket (a long time rocksim user). Will look at the drag calculations on the file you posted.
Thank you for doing that, it is much nicer than the one I created!
Keep in mind: spheres provide no lift and no base drag. That is why they don’t contribute to CP at all. This is essentially a rocket with no fins.

Now, if the balls provide some restoring force due to otherwise unaccounted-for phenomena, I’ll be interested to learn more. But I’m not optimistic for it. Be cautious with this one.

They provide quite a lot of skin and interference drag, though.
Neither of which factors into stability. Net effect of the balls on CP is zero.
1706200477850.png

And no base drag to help out either.
1706200694523.png

I think it's conceivable that the balls are small enough that they will actually generate some base drag when the rocket gets moving fast enough, but I couldn't predict how much that'll help. Would be interesting to see a CFD analysis here.

Now I'll wait and see how this works out.

Last edited:
Keep in mind: spheres provide no lift and no base drag. That is why they don’t contribute to CP at all.

Plenty of base drag and lift as air flows over the curved surfaces.

According to the man himself, Barrowman says base drag does not contribute to CP since it is an axial force, not a normal force.

1706205275824.png

The balls may be a little small to provide enough planform area, but I wouldn't call it "finless." I think it will fly.

In my head, I see that the ping pong balls would HAVE to provide some drag when the rocket is moving. Air flows over them, they stick out from the rocket body and therefore, they act as minimal fins, but the problem might be that your balls are too small. Of course, if you launch it, you get bigger balls. ;-)

Back