Do tube fins work in latest version of openrocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTP2

Reaction score
I need to sim the loc cyclotron but I have conflicting answers for if open rocket supports tube fins. Help is appreciated.

I need to sim the loc cyclotron but I have conflicting answers for if open rocket supports tube fins. Help is appreciated.
Yes if you insert them as "Tube Fins". Don't insert them as a "Pod" of body tubes.​

I just realized that it is a private beta and I am not qualified to test something so should I just get version 15?
Download Version 22.02​

I know that the fins work, I am worried about how accurate they are. Since I am under a tight limit on altitude.
My experience (including with tube fins) is that OR is optimistic about altitude prediction. I use a tracker (GPS) and ejection altimeter (baro) on most flights, and both read lower than OR's prediction.

How small is small?
Dimensions of field?
Limit on apogee?
I don’t know the specifics but the apogee is recommended by my mentor to be under 1500 feet.

Edit I haven’t been told anything about the search for a new one.
Edit 2 I will get the 4” with adapter to 38mm

Last edited:
I don’t know the specifics but the apogee is recommended by my mentor to be under 15,000 feet.

Edit I haven’t been told anything about the search for a new one.
Edit 2 I will get the 4” with adapter to 38mm
That doesn't sound right.
Per Rocksim an H123 will take the Cyclotron to just under 1500 ft, not 15,000.
Edit: that's for the 3.1 inch. The 4" would be even lower.

22.02 has the broken tube fin code. It is fixed (I hope!) in the beta; go ahead and download and use it.
I just downloaded 23.09. Multiple bugs:

Doesn't show Optimum Delay in Flight Simulations
Doesn't show Apogee, Max. Velocity or Max. Acceleration in pictorial representation view
3D Figure, 3D Unfinished and 3D Finished views don't work

I'm switching back to 22.02

Doesn't show Apogee, Max. Velocity or Max. Acceleration in pictorial representation view

Not for me, but this is not the thread for that.

In Windows you need to enable off-screen rendering for the 3D stuff. That’ll be fixed in the final released.

Not sure about the other stuff you’re seeing. Can you post the file and/ir show a screen shot? Probably best to do it in the beta thread.

Ah! Just finally figured out how people are getting that. If you only save summary data, then when you reload the design the optimum delay column isn't populated. If you rerun the simulation, it'll populate it.
That's configurable. In the Plot/Export dialog, you can select the flight events you want displayed.

Back