Is there a method of deploying chute without fire?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigoledude

Reaction score
My son recently purchased a kit for a model rocket. The grandkids absolutely cheered with excitement at the launch. I am on a very low fixed income and cannot afford to buy the stuff to build combustion type rockets very often. We are saving our money to buy the needed material to rebuild the existing combustion rocket. I wish I had started this hobby years ago.

I have lots of "stuff" stored over the years, and built them an air-launched rocket system out of PVC and compressed air. It can even launch four 1/2-inch PVC rockets at the same time. The problem is, I have lost all of my 1/2-inch and 3/4-inch PVC pipe already.

Is there a way of deploying a parachute that would work on an air-powered rocket? The teenaged kids to the wee ones have enjoyed this project immensely.

You could use an electronic deployment module, but these start at about $40 and go up from there. I am currently working on a simple kit that cuts that cost in half, but it's not ready yet.

I am assuming that you have "lost" your rockets when they lawn dart. The cheap way to solve this is to build a pneumatic shock absorber from nested tubes. Another cheap option is to roll your own paper tubes using PVC pipe as your mandrel. The best option is to roll your own paper tubes *and* use a pneumatic shock absorber. Construction is a bit more complex, but that is not a bad thing if your kids are lacking for activity during summer vacation.

Yet another option is to look at the water rockets built from 2-liter soda bottles. You will incur some costs to build the launcher, but then your rocket costs are also close to zero, or at least can be if you are creative on scrounging for build materials. There is a *huge* amount of science involved in maximizing the altitude of water rockets, and you could easily keep your kids busy for quite some time trying to reach peak altitude.

A cheaper way to build and fly Air powered models is to design and build them out of paper or Cardstock. I've been using these kinds of models in many School and youth org demos where the area is either way to small for conventional mod-Roc flights or the orginazation does not want the use of pyro motors.

many of these models can be flown from a 2 liter bottle "stomp Launcher" using a 1/2" PVC launch tube. Best Launch Altitude from one of these "foot powered air launchers" closed track at 173feet. If the kids are older then 6 yrs I've had very little trouble getting them to assemble their own models from copier printed flat sheets with 3m magic tape or glue sticks. Most are featherweight recovery, a few are gliders.
There is also a smaller version using 1/4" brass tubing as the launch tube and Straws for the model bodies. All Are truely a fun time for the kids and parents alike.

Paper & Straw Rockets-a1_20ozhandLauncher&7 models_08-22-10.JPG

Paper & Straw Rockets-a2_16ozLauncher&Conehdmodel_08-22-10.JPG

Paper & Straw Rockets-a3_16ozLauncher&RolledModels_08-22-10.JPG

Paper & Straw Rockets-a4_16ozLauncher&StrawGliders_08-22-10.JPG

Paper Rockets-b1_2lt Launcher & .840in Paper Model_08-22-10.JPG

Bigoledude,

You already have a couple good answers posted, I can't add much to them. Lots of folks have scratched their heads trying to come up with alternatives.

There is a reason that low-power (black powder), Estes-style model rocket motors have settled out after all these years as one of the best solutions. (That includes most economical.)

I can only think of this to add: P L E A S E do stick around this forum, even if only to read/monitor, because from time to time someone will post a tip here on TRF for a real bargain. We had a Boy Scouts special a while back where you could get motors at a pretty good discount, and have had leads to several other bargains posted on here. Stay tuned.

One last thought---check your local Hobby Lobby, and check their website for coupons. Every two or three weeks (if they continue their pattern) they post a 40%-off-for-one-item coupon, and you can print as many as you want. Around here, at least, HobLob has one of the best selections of Estes motors stocked in their stores, and 40% off gets them down to a pretty reasonable price. Send each of your kids through the checkout lane with one motor pack and one coupon and you will be set for a little while......

https://grosse.is-a-geek.com/paul/h2orrecindex.htm

My son recently purchased a kit for a model rocket. The grandkids absolutely cheered with excitement at the launch. I am on a very low fixed income and cannot afford to buy the stuff to build combustion type rockets very often. We are saving our money to buy the needed material to rebuild the existing combustion rocket. I wish I had started this hobby years ago.

I have lots of "stuff" stored over the years, and built them an air-launched rocket system out of PVC and compressed air. It can even launch four 1/2-inch PVC rockets at the same time. The problem is, I have lost all of my 1/2-inch and 3/4-inch PVC pipe already.

Is there a way of deploying a parachute that would work on an air-powered rocket? The teenaged kids to the wee ones have enjoyed this project immensely.

Back