Is MicroMaxx still a thing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Monday Morning I placed an order for 6 Micro Maxx kits, 5 packs of motors with two extra packs of igniters and the launch rod adapter. All under $100.
This is my first foray into the Micros, so interesting to me to see how well (or poorly) I do.
I placed the order from ASP and found the box in my mailbox today!
Super fast service, Thanks Andy!
I think my yard may be kinda small for launching but will not have an issue at the school or park.
Now the test will be how my arthritic hands perform the build process for something this small.

I've been thinking a bunch about this thread, and previous very similar ones. My take on it is the vaguely-Cthulhu-esque "What has never lived can never die!" For whatever reasons---manufacturing screwups on the plastic models, lack of traditional kits from Quest, etc, I don't know the inner history---MMX never got a real chance to takeoff (pun intended). Maybe it was just too early and like many niche interests needed the Internet to hit critical mass (true MicroMaxx bona fides to anyone who gets that pun right away).

We setup shop yesterday at the Philly Maker Faire, a new kind of venue for Rocketship Games. Other than literally one or two outliers that fly a little, we didn't meet any adults currently engaged with rocketry, and not many kids either. Lots of people who did it when younger, got some stuff a while back but never followed through, have kids that are interested, kids that are doing or did a project in school, etc.. Expecting that, we brought a bunch of Estes starter sets and other entryway items.

But the big hit was the MicroMaxx rockets, to which we dedicated a lot of prominence. People loved them. You could see people about to walk by, see the assembled models we had out in passing, and double take to stop and check them out. Everything from "I used to fly rockets and I never heard of those!" to "Aww, they're so cute!" to "I could fly that in my neighborhood park!" For a variety of reasons (including the event as a whole being organized pretty last minute) we didn't even put forward our best foot, in the end we didn't manage to restock enough of our simplest kits. But even so we sold micro-rockets from ourselves, ASP, Flis, and Quest to several dozen people (a lot, comparatively speaking).

All of which is to say that there's interest in this kind of micro-rocketry, but a great untapped mass of it is outside the existing engaged rocketry community.

Anyway, more to come from us! We'll post an announcement as soon as we get our new Solar Warrior kit setup on our webstore late tonight or first thing tomorrow.

PXL_20240421_150801409.jpg

PXL_20240421_150826879.jpg
PXL_20240421_160613977~2.jpg

I've been thinking a bunch about this thread, and previous very similar ones. My take on it is the vaguely-Cthulhu-esque "What has never lived can never die!" For whatever reasons---manufacturing screwups on the plastic models, lack of traditional kits from Quest, etc, I don't know the inner history---MMX never got a real chance to takeoff (pun intended). Maybe it was just too early and like many niche interests needed the Internet to hit critical mass (true MicroMaxx bona fides to anyone who gets that pun right away).

We setup shop yesterday at the Philly Maker Faire, a new kind of venue for Rocketship Games. Other than literally one or two outliers that fly a little, we didn't meet any adults currently engaged with rocketry, and not many kids either. Lots of people who did it when younger, got some stuff a while back but never followed through, have kids that are interested, kids that are doing or did a project in school, etc.. Expecting that, we brought a bunch of Estes starter sets and other entryway items.

But the big hit was the MicroMaxx rockets, to which we dedicated a lot of prominence. People loved them. You could see people about to walk by, see the assembled models we had out in passing, and double take to stop and check them out. Everything from "I used to fly rockets and I never heard of those!" to "Aww, they're so cute!" to "I could fly that in my neighborhood park!" For a variety of reasons (including the event as a whole being organized pretty last minute) we didn't even put forward our best foot, in the end we didn't manage to restock enough of our simplest kits. But even so we sold rockets from ourselves, ASP, Flis, and Quest to dozens of people (a lot, comparatively speaking).

All of which is to say that there's interest in this kind of micro-rocketry, but a great untapped mass of it is outside the existing engaged rocketry community.

Anyway, more to come from us! We'll post an announcement as soon as we get our new Solar Warrior kit setup on our webstore late tonight or first thing tomorrow.

View attachment 642019

View attachment 642020
View attachment 642021
Honestly, I'd love to buy a bundle with all of them; they do look cute.

You keep makin’ them, and I’ll keep buying them. Also, about time for some more BT-5 printed nosecones as well. I’ve never been able to buy kits R4-R6 because they’ve not been available to buy since I started building MMX kits.:)

Back