older altimeters still good? How old is too old?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HA!! You're not wrong Cris!! It's like Belloq said in Raiders of the Lost Ark...
Paraphrasing, "Take a worthless watch bought from a beggar in the street and bury it in the sand... in a thousand years, it becomes priceless."
386 and 486 laptops, $150 and no guarantee they boot up. Ridiculous.
I'll check on a couple of my older desktops, they might still have serial ports on them.
The sad part is, I stumbled across one while cleaning house last year and tossed it. Go figure.

You could try buying an older Windows 95/98 computer... but if you look around, they're ridiculously priced. Apparently if you leave something laying around long enough it becomes a "collector's item"...
Dang! I should have put my foot down when my late wife told me to get rid of my old machines. I think I have an old win 95 laptop. Am out of town now but will have to check when I get back. kurt

Dang! I should have put my foot down when my late wife told me to get rid of my old machines. I think I have an old win 95 laptop. Am out of town now but will have to check when I get back. kurt
That'd be awesome. I have good friend in Phoenix checking to see if he has something as well.

I have two Perfectflight HA45Ks that work great. They just flew back in October in my L3 rocket. They'll fly again in June at LDRS in the same rocket. I have a RRC2 Mini that could program. I sent it out to Jim Amos in Hawaii to be reflashed. Unfortunately, I can't get it to go into flight mode. I aquired an Ozarks ARTS 1 recently as well. Unsure what I'll fly that in yet.

Apparently if you leave something laying around long enough it becomes a "collector's item"...
So there is hope for me, yet? Thats some great news.

Years ago, I had a few G-Wiz alt's. Loved them. Life dictated a move from the hobby. Now, coming back, I picked up a new, never used G-Wiz. Only to find that the software is gone and can't be found. There is parts of what folks have that can't be emailed. I also picked up a new in package PML CoPilot. The fine folks at Missile Works have got me on tract with that one and is working as advertised.

A word of advise. If you do intend to go the Eggtimer route. Cris is peddling something that is addictive. You can't build just one. It's been two weeks now since my last build and I'm going through the DT's. That dude at Eggtimer is a crack dealer.:cool:

As for older computers, There is a stack of older laptops here. Windows 95, ME, 2000 and XP. And I can't get any of the software to work on any of them. Mostly due to not being able to get them on the interwebs.

So there is hope for me, yet? Thats some great news.

Years ago, I had a few G-Wiz alt's. Loved them. Life dictated a move from the hobby. Now, coming back, I picked up a new, never used G-Wiz. Only to find that the software is gone and can't be found. There is parts of what folks have that can't be emailed. I also picked up a new in package PML CoPilot. The fine folks at Missile Works have got me on tract with that one and is working as advertised.

A word of advise. If you do intend to go the Eggtimer route. Cris is peddling something that is addictive. You can't build just one. It's been two weeks now since my last build and I'm going through the DT's. That dude at Eggtimer is a crack dealer.:cool:

As for older computers, There is a stack of older laptops here. Windows 95, ME, 2000 and XP. And I can't get any of the software to work on any of them. Mostly due to not being able to get them on the interwebs.
I agree with the dealer part.

As far as getting software installed, try a thumb drive. Slow but usually works.

I agree with the dealer part.

As far as getting software installed, try a thumb drive. Slow but usually works.

I've tried everything to get them to load. Biggest part I find is that when programs are emailed, certain files get removed or marked as damaging files and removed. Like the G-Wiz program. There is a couple of files that just won't get sent. I have just come to terms with the fact that when the electronics get too old for any kind of support, it's time to toss them in the "parts" box and leave them behind.

Some of the older electronics have low sample rates for lift off detection so know what you will use them for. The altacc 2C fixed the low sample rates I don't know if the firmware for the 2A had a fix, originally it was at 10hz. I use older electronics on occasion and if I am unsure of the status I fly them in a ride along mode, I have a dedicated electronics tester rocket for that.... Also understand their operation, they are a bit different from new stuff.

If flown, watch for the corrosion effect of BP residue, if they were exposed.
David

Back