Is it a "rocket engine" or a "rocket motor?"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been a fun thread to read. My understanding has always been if the "thing" uses motion of one thing to create motion is something else, it was an "engine", hence "internal combustion engine". If it just "does its thing" and creates motion, it's a motor, hence "rocket motor". The differentiating idea being the engine has a piston that captures the expanding gas and then uses that to create motion, whereas the rocket motor just expels gas to create motion. Or something, lol. Electric motors which just "do their thing" would be motors under the same logic.

I hear "rocket motor" frequently, I don't hear "rocket engine" that often... *shrug*

I have always understood that if it's electric, it's a Motor.
Everything else uses a fuel of some sort to operate, that being an Engine.
Rocket Engine burn's solid fuel, thus it's an engine.
One might argue an electric engine is an engine, No. It doesn't burn anything. It simply uses it.
The power plant that supplies electricity may use gasoline, natural gas (generators), or burn coal or other fuels.
Solar, Wind and Hydro Electric are all together something else.
But the electric motor it's self does not burn fuel. It's an engine if it burns something to work.
That came from both my 9th grade class's of Science and Small Engine Repair.
Now, that was in 74-75. And definitions may have changed, and if so I would like to see a written copy if anyone can find one.

A solid rocket motor/engine still operates under the same premise as the internal combustion engine. They both need fuel, spark and compression to operate or work. The internal combustion engine, uses a starter motor to get the mechanical motion started then the air pump: suck, squish, bang, blow takes over until something stops the cycle.

I like the idea that the solid rocket motor just has to burn fuel to create thrust, and thus motion. A liquid fueled rocket motor is more complicated either hybrid or real liquid fueled rocket motors there may be pumps, valves, injector nozzles, etc but it still just burns fuel, creates thrust and moves.

rocket motor
gas/other fueled engine

~John

Last edited:
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends ! :)

1969 ...

69est084.jpg
69cenp48.jpg

2020 ...

2020Estes.PNG

Last edited:
Yeah Estes' naming convention seemed gritty forever.

It's just a tube filled with stuff that provides motive force. Nothing about it says engine to me :rolleyes:

Irony of ironies ...

' SR: Why did you decide to use the term “engine” instead of “motor” for Estes
model rocket engines?

Vern: “Rocket Motor” was the designation used in our early production. We
changed to calling them “Rocket Engines” following a discussion I had with G. Harry
Stine about the proper nomenclature. Years later Harry and I were discussing the
old days and he asked why I had used the term engine instead of motor. I responded
that I had changed to engine because he had told me that was proper (I have always
considered Harry an expert on such matters). Harry then set the record straight,
saying that “motor” is the correct nomenclature, and that was what he had told me
in our original discussion. I apparently had misunderstood Harry. As I understand it
today, motor is probably the more accurate term, although not everyone agrees on
this. As you can see in this article I use the terms interchangeably. However, I expect
the “engine” designation will continue to be used when referring to propellant devices
manufactured and sold by Estes Industries (and perhaps others). As one rocketeer
put it, “Who cares what you call it. It is still that thing you put in the end of your
rocket to make it scream skyward.” '

excerpt from "An Interview with Vern and Gleda Estes - Part 2 - All About Mabel", by Tom Beach. Sport Rocketry March/April 2007

Last edited:
That's a great/hilarious story on "why things are what they are"

And why do the remain that way? "Because they've always been"

“Who cares what you call it. It is still that thing you put in the end of your rocket to make it scream skyward.” '

excerpt from "An Interview with Vern and Gleda Estes - Part 2 - All About Mabel", by Tom Beach. Sport Rocketry March/April 2007

Unless you are @Daddyisabar , in which case you put it in the FRONT

A solid rocket motor/engine still operates under the same premise as the internal combustion engine. They both need fuel, spark and compression to operate or work. The internal combustion engine, uses a starter motor to get the mechanical motion started then the air pump: suck, squish, bang, blow takes over until something stops the cycle.

I like the idea that the solid rocket motor just has to burn fuel to create thrust, and thus motion. A liquid fueled rocket motor is more complicated either hybrid or real liquid fueled rocket motors there may be pumps, valves, injector nozzles, etc but it still just burns fuel, creates thrust and moves.

rocket motor
gas/other fueled engine

~John

There is a distinct difference between an internal combustion engine and a solid fuel motor. The "gas/diesel" engine has an external fuel and oxygen source, and can run indefinitely as long as you supply fuel until the parts wear out. the solid fuel motor has everything inside. The solid fuel motor cannot have fuel added during operation...Liquid fuel rocket engines also have external fuel/oxidizer sources

Then there is the electric...no fuel, external energy source but called a motor not an engine, although has moving internal parts.

Maybe Motor and Engine should just be synonyms, and be redefined to mean any object that creates motion from an energy source...

But what is a search engine...lol

Back