Indiana Rocketry Nov. 16-17th Ash Grove Indiana Launch!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3. Former Astronaut Col. USAF Dave Porter (13th man too walk on the moon will be here signing autographs and, taking pictures!) Get him while he's still warm!:D

Okay, what am I missing? There were only 12 men to walk on the moon...

(This some inside joke I'm missing since I'm new to the hobby and all the people?)

Sorry, I won't pull the ignition out of My Can-Am 250.:kill:
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

Okay, what am I missing? There were only 12 men to walk on the moon...

(This some inside joke I'm missing since I'm new to the hobby and all the people?)

Dude!:surprised: *Shhhhh......we get 20% royalties on the autograph/picture taking sessions....how do you think we rescued our PA system out of that Pawn Shop?:eek:*

It's NOT Sunday yet.......:tongue:

....and the excrement isn’t supposed to collide with the rotary oscillator until around 6 pm Saturday. It looks like thier might be a window Sunday morning.

Looks like I'll be there Saturday because I'm taking one of my 4-H kids to his first HP launch.

....and the excrement isn’t supposed to collide with the rotary oscillator until around 6 pm Saturday. It looks like thier might be a window Sunday morning.

Looks like I'll be there Saturday because I'm taking one of my 4-H kids to his first HP launch.

I guess it is time too maybe believe the *Weather Predictions* are reality...:sigh:
Which, i never really do, as i was born an optimist.:D

I have "Rusty the Rocket Retriever" packed up and, plan too head out from work straight to the field...I'm NOT going too miss a chance too meet John D, Col. Porter and, the rest of you crazies!;)

Should see you all around 1-2pm at the latest....followed by a serious thrash too get *Giz* ready.

Special thanks go out to:
1. Brian Perry for some last minute help...
2. Wildman Tim Lehr (for the Super Secret Motor) last minute delivery service...
3. A fellow Truck Driver named Drew Sabotta for its delivery to Indianapolis TONIGHT.

Let's get ready too RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!:D

Gus, so you will be there Sat? That's good in case I get blown away for sunday.

Gus, how about we head over to Creekside resturant in Crawfishville after the launch? I owe you for a G motor.

Gus-

If you fly that L sparky I made try to get a picture of it for me........

Preston

Gus, so you will be there Sat? That's good in case I get blown away for sunday.

Yes John, it's not looking good especially on the wind speeds for Sunday....it looks like an ALL fly Saturday... Should be there, red eyed....worn out sometime afternoon!

Eric, I'll take a rain check on Creekside.... By the time I get home Sat. Night it will be a 24hr non-stop marathon....wearing work clothes. Hate too get to Creekside and, pass out at the table.

Preston, it looks like I can only do one this weekend...so it's the Giz for balance testing but, WE will get you a most awesome shot of the Skid in Dec!
Thanks again everyone!

Well phooey.. I was gathering and preparing for tomorrow. I just discovered that after the last launch I attended (September), I must have misplaced my AT 18/20 hardware set. I don't suppose anybody found it at the sod farm? Honestly, I think it may have been mixed in with the used up reloads and tossed. Can anyone loan me one tomorrow? Daughter has requested I bring my spiral striped fat boy; however, after years of repairs, he can't get up to safe launch speeds on a regular 18mm motor.

Well phooey.. I was gathering and preparing for tomorrow. I just discovered that after the last launch I attended (September), I must have misplaced my AT 18/20 hardware set. I don't suppose anybody found it at the sod farm? Honestly, I think it may have been mixed in with the used up reloads and tossed. Can anyone loan me one tomorrow? Daughter has requested I bring my spiral striped fat boy; however, after years of repairs, he can't get up to safe launch speeds on a regular 18mm motor.

RAH is going to the be there. If you can't find a 18/20 to borrow there are always 18mm SU like the D21. Three packs are $23...

RAH is going to the be there. If you can't find a 18/20 to borrow there are always 18mm SU like the D21. Three packs are $23...

True... but I already have the reloads (D-24). I would rather spend the $20 on a new case. Anybody have one to sell me tomorrow for $20?

Actually, I think I put the little thing someplace safe so that I wouldn't lose it. However, now I have no clue where that safe place would be.

Edit! Woohoo! Found the little stinker. It managed to work its way inside another motor case. Funny, I thought I checked them all already, but there it was in a 38/360.

Last edited:
Oh......just little ole me again!:D
Here in my happy little Semi-Truck, putting "The Land of the Misfit Toys" slowly but, surely smaller in those big mirrors.
Had a BIG scare this morning.... They almost re-routed me through Chicago on my way back too Indy.:confused:
Almost *Cr@pp£d my Fur* over that one.....:mad:
Should see all around 1pm if everything goes well from here out!:D

It's a shame on the weather for Sunday. I will be out of town with the band today, so no rocket launch for me! Looking forward to next time!

We missed ya Jacob! We elected to scrub tomorrow, since the forecasted rain/wind/hail/mayhem is starting to show up now.

Here's some pics from today. It was challenging shooting conditions:

Corbin, our Lorraine Garrott award winner from Thunderstruck, finally getting his trophy!

John Dermiggio's Stella Blanco testing some new MARSA avionics on a classic K555SK.

Purdue AAE 439 flew their rockets like a million times. Here goes Robo Peter on a G77R:

and again on an H195NT:

My 6" Tomahawk on a 7600 M1850KS:

Gus wrapped up the day with a dusk flight of his Jade Grenade Gizmo XL on an N3400SK:

As is the new usual, full-res and more photos on my Flickr page. Share/use freely with attribution!

Thanks to everyone who came. See you next month!

David; Obviously you know that's spectacular! My BEST photo ever is a Dark Matter last January when a cloud blocked the Sun late in the afternoon. I know you've seen it. It was my old beat up PML AMRAAM3. But under the muted lighting, the motor was amazing!

For sure: 1) Less light makes it challenging to get the speed to not be a blur, and B) brings out spectacular color and contrast! :)

Wow. Well done!!!!! :wave: :w:

It was a great launch , windy at time . We are planning evil minon 2 !!!!!! A upscale of masons rocket a 4.25 or 4.5 " rocket thinking 3' tall
Should be fun

That Gizmo must have been REAL cool. I wish I could have been there to see that.

Just got home. Wow, what a great club and a great field! I want to sincerely thank everyone for providing me such a good time and the warm welcome. I made many new friends and I will certainly return and fly some more with you guys.

Thanks to Gus, Dave(s), Randy, Bill, Barry, Rich, Doug, Vic and others I may have regretfully omitted. Maybe someday I can be a member of the CRM.

Gus: Don't give up on tethers, today the wind worked against gravity which is needed for the tether tension. Some times you eat the bear, other times........

The Jade Grenade was the single most spectacular launch I have ever seen.

It appeared to simply detonate on the pad, then this rocket that looked like an oxygen tank shot up from the ball of flame and sparks.

Hope it can be patched up.

The Jade Grenade certainly was an exciting launch! From my angle, I saw a fireball coming out of the motor before it took off in the shower of sparks.

It was a great day and I am sorry to hear that the weather didn't cooperate for a second day. We don't have that many non-over-scheduled weekends over the upcoming months, but I have the launches on my calendar and hope that daughter and I can make another one this winter. Maybe next time I will bring some high power rockets on the trip instead of car full of small rockets.

Edit: Do we have a nice pre-designed flyer with the rocket launch dates? I am dropping off the dates for Indiana and Michiana rocket launches at the local hobby shop and it would be nice if we had something that could just be printed and stuck on display. (yes, I should have done that BEFORE this launch, but it didn't occur to me until Friday when I stopped to pick up some odds and ends)

Last edited:
That Gizmo must have been REAL cool. I wish I could have been there to see that.

+1. Sorry I missed that. It looks like it was a fantastic flight.

and the rocket looks good in black...

The Jade Grenade was the single most spectacular launch I have ever seen.

It appeared to simply detonate on the pad, then this rocket that looked like an oxygen tank shot up from the ball of flame and sparks.

Hope it can be patched up.

Jade Grenade? Gus??? Sounds like someone you met during your recent travels....:roll:

Oh, and what do you guys mean by patched up? I hope its just a cracked fin or something like that.

I'm awake.......:surprised: It's not pretty.....Kind of a *Keith Richards all night bender in Amsterdam looking thing*.....It is amazing what a 28 hour non-stop schedule can do for a middle aged body.

First off i would like too thank all my fellow board members, club members and, fliers for an awesome day of flying!:D If you helped with the set-up...running the show or tear down.

A VERY Special thanks....

Where do i start?

1. David Reese. I am so proud to call you a friend....such a wealth of talent and, knowledge...i'm glad that our club has been blessed with your time here in the midwest. When a camera is put in your hands the magic you work is UNBELIEVABLE......For those incredible pictures, i thank you!:eek:

2. John Derimiggo of MARSA Systems. Thank you for making the FIVE hour trip out to meet us and, taking the time to talk about altimeters and, your exciting products with our fliers. I could tell by the tone of our conversations over time that you had too be a pretty down to earth character and, that the product you design is truly a great item to be seen/used by more people in this hobby!

3. The Mannon Family......I like the Minnion Rocket! Make a bigger one please!

4. The Stanfield Family.......Corbin, i apologize for the great delay that happened in delivering your trophy but, you RIGHTFULLY deserved it young man. I personally selected it from many i could have and, i want you too know that it's more than wood/crystal.....It represents the SPIRIT of the woman who trusted us to access her land......that allowed young people like yourself to create/develop/utilize their talents in a positive way......for the better of all.

If you don't understand today.....you will tomorrow.....trust me.

5. Manny, you weren't there in person but, you were there in spirit little buddy! I know i pick on you sometimes but, i look forward to the coming year and, the things we can do/terrorize (especially in Kansas) with a certain project jigged up right now! Dude....to see *The Giz* go off was un-$#%'n-believable Dude!

Just look at the pictures and, overlay a loud....rumbling....nasty roar.....You get the picture!;)

6. Jeroen....That motor was awesome! The impression that thing gave off was beyond definition. Tell Bob in the mix room i said hi and, good work! I think that one event upped CTI's sales in the midwest by at least 50% yesterday.:rolleyes:

Can i get a *slight* discount on the next one?

7. Von-Misses....and, Miss Misses....Thanks for coming out and, your support! Uncle Gus has a Special message.....for friend that come along too.....

"Hands below knees.....hands never below shoulder line.....":no: Uncle Gus knows Kung-Fu.....(or at least he watched Kung-Fu when the show was on tv back in the 70's......)

I could NEVER have had a teenaged daughter of dating age........

To Tim "Wildman" Lehr, Truck driver: Drew Sabotta for the last minute motor delivery...
To all the people who helped with the prep of Jade Grenade.....

Thank-you!

The launch report is as follows.......We tried something different on the tether assembly and, there was a slight tangling of the deployment system.....
It belly-flopped in from 10,800 ft. up and, sustained damage to the booster only. If i can repair it i will....if not, i will replace it.
Not really used too building Odd Rockets but, this one has a special space in my soul for all that it has done so far.

What an incredible day, so many great people, what a great bunch of memories!

Thank-you all!:D

Last edited:
lolz :roll:

I'll pass that along. I wouldn't worry too much, she'll have her blank belt soon.

Although this is not related too yesterdays activities.......Many of you may or may not know that the State of Indiana is getting HIT HARD today by damaging winds/rain/tornado's......

We had made a decision last night too send out the message to our members about the cancellation of today's event in case things went bad and, they did.....statewide....in a grand fashion.

I truly hope that all our friends/fliers are ok and, that when the weather breaks that your lives are not affected tomorrow.....by the incredible actions of mother nature....STILL at this moment (5pm local).

For the people who have asked....

The last check of the Tree Farm here has shown that the trees are still standing....all the buildings holding strong and, that i am ok.....
I can only hope the same for you.

Prayers and, thoughts out to those of you affected....by the incredible actions of Mother Nature today.

We missed ya Jacob! We elected to scrub tomorrow, since the forecasted rain/wind/hail/mayhem is starting to show up now.

Here's some pics from today. It was challenging shooting conditions:

Corbin, our Lorraine Garrott award winner from Thunderstruck, finally getting his trophy!

John Dermiggio's Stella Blanco testing some new MARSA avionics on a classic K555SK.

Purdue AAE 439 flew their rockets like a million times. Here goes Robo Peter on a G77R:

and again on an H195NT:

My 6" Tomahawk on a 7600 M1850KS:

Gus wrapped up the day with a dusk flight of his Jade Grenade Gizmo XL on an N3400SK:

As is the new usual, full-res and more photos on my Flickr page. Share/use freely with attribution!

Thanks to everyone who came. See you next month!
Awesome pics...

Back