In Search Of Liberty Bell 7

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score

Spacecraft%2C-Liberty-Bell-7-%282%29.jpg

Thanks for posting.
Most of the MDRA folks that flew years ago, got to meet the man, Curt Newport, in person since he did some high power rocket flying in Maryland for several seasons, before he and Jeff (Loki) Taylor took their larger team project out to Black Rock.
I think his personal goal was to go as high in altitude as he went low in the ocean.

I helped Curt retrieve Proteus of a tree out there in Price MD.
Later that evening before the club dinner, I had a few shots at the bar with him and he signed his book, "Lost Spacecraft- The Search for Liberty Bell 7" (intro by Tom Hanks) which I'm happy to have on my bookshelf

Thanks Winston. I remember watching this when it first aired.

After they found it, they put the LB7 on tour. Took the family. It was quite an experience.

They had a mock-up there. I tried sitting in it. No way my broad beefsteak will fit in there!

I don't know how Gus fit in it, with 'nads the size of mountains...

"OK, Gus, here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna strap you into what amounts to little more than a metal trash can, we're gonna mount that trash can on top of a ballistic missile, and we're gonna launch your a$$ into the vacuum. Have a nice ride."

They have one of each capsule (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo) at the California Science Center in SoCal. It's amazing how crude the Mercury capsule looks by today's aerospace standards, and the Gemini wasn't much better. By the time they got to the Apollo, it was much more refined. It doesn't look like it was put together in somebody's garage.

Has Curt been back to MDRA?...haven't heard much about him lately.
But then again, I haven't been up tp MDRA as much.
Don't know. If so, he has not been introduced to me or announced as a guest. I have not met him.

Back