Impulse buys...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to start a thread on "What big impulse buys have you made recently" (anticipating some jokes about rocket engine impulse ratings), but Elon Musk has us all beat with his 40-50$B impulse buy this week...

bought an 8-inch DX3 a while back, given how it is sitting in boxes as parts, sounds like that qualifies..

Not me, but some friends of mine once noticed that the house a couple of doors down from theirs had a for sale sign. They'd always liked it, so they sold theirs and bought it. Closed and moved before anybody knew.

Update with corrections:
They had a contract signed that same day, but closing and moving took longer than I remembered, so they had told people by then. They did, however, sign on March 31st and tell their friends about it on April Fool's Day (which also happens to be her birthday).

Oh, to be DINKs!

Last edited:
A tractor. Not new, obviously, but a JD 2cylinder antique. Still have it, although I just sold 3 of my collection. Man, that was hard. But the extra zeros in my bank account are filling the void…

I was going to start a thread on "What big impulse buys have you made recently" (anticipating some jokes about rocket engine impulse ratings), but Elon Musk has us all beat with his 40-50$B impulse buy this week...

He is restoring free speech.

He is restoring free speech.
We will see! Frankly, I think he's just looking to have a bully pulpit to use to get some of his own views out there freely. I really don't think he is all that invested in generally stoking "free speech." I think he sees it as a cause celeb and something that he can use to stroke his ego.

However, and this may surprise folks that are familiar with my liberal views, I think that whatever he does with Twitter is actually going to cause a lot of interesting debate and likely change in the way we handle large platform social media. And that may be a good thing.

I do think he's biting off a very large mouthful. I think he's underestimating how much effort actually doing something different will take. But I'm not one to underestimate him. I think he's a little bit loony, but it's often the loony folks that get a lot of things done. And as I watch booster after booster land successfully on drone ships and launch pads, while watching electric cars drive by outside, I'm not about to say he can't affect change in social media.

However, and this may surprise folks that are familiar with my liberal views, I think that whatever he does with Twitter is actually going to cause a lot of interesting debate and likely change in the way we handle large platform social media. And that may be a good thing.

Yes, debate is a very good thing, while stifling/shutting down opposing viewpoints only creates division. There is no maybe . . . it is a good thing.

I’d have to say that I’ve impulse bought rocket kits. I have more than I will ever fly, but since I enjoy building rockets too, it fills much of my time. Now that baseball is back, I can enjoy watching the Giants and slow down on building rockets.

When I bought my first house, I was a bit torn between 2 different houses. My realtor saw my arguments on both sides and said something like "Well, lets go look at some more houses next week and see if we can get you what you want. You do have some very specific distance requirements. Maybe if we open up the search radius another 10 miles, something perfect will pop up." I thought about it and my #1 requirement was the search radius, as I hate spending my life behind the wheel of a car, sitting in traffic every day. I reached in my pocket and handed her a quarter. She looked at me weird and I said I'd call it in the air. I think she thought I was debating about whether or not to extend my search radius or not. She flipped and I said "Head's: Terrick, Tails: [other house's street]." It was heads, and she was jaw dropped when I said to make the offer on Terrick.

So, not 100% an impulse buy, as I was going to get a house at some point, but the thought of searching more and/or driving farther kicked me into action mode. I lived there for 10 years and only moved because my new job was a 50 minute drive. . .

Sandy.

Back