I'm having trouble downloading Openrocket on Windows 8

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jus_rockets

Reaction score
So I keep trying to download and install Openrocket on Windows 8 and it wont work. After file is downloaded I open file and it sends me to a black page online. If anyone please let me know how to install it because I really need to use it, thanks.

Do you have Java installed?

The OpenRocket file is not something you install: that itself is the program, which is run in Java.

So I keep trying to download and install Openrocket on Windows 8 and it wont work. After file is downloaded I open file and it sends me to a black page online. If anyone please let me know how to install it because I really need to use it, thanks.

Which version of Java did you install? How are you starting Open Rocket?

-Kevin

Which version of Java did you install? How are you starting Open Rocket?

-Kevin

I just installed the latest version of Java that was on their site. I just click on the download and click open

You need to save the OpenRocket file and run it via

java -jar OpenRocket-12.09.1.jar

-->MCS

Yeah, what MCS said. You should be able to create a shortcut on the Desktop to run it; just right click, choose New, Shortcut, and put the command line in like he has it. If it doesn't work, you may have to find the actual path of the Java executable and add it to the beginning of the command line.

You can also specify the starting folder in the shortcut, so the program can find its files automatically.

I just installed the latest version of Java that was on their site. I just click on the download and click open

Morning Justin.... First take a breath, we'll get this going.
Disclaimer: I have not seen Win8, but this works for every other version...
Right click on the downloaded OR file. A dialog box should open that gives you the an "open with" option, put the cursor on open with (may have to give it a left click).
That should open another box with a list of programs, toward the bottom of that box is an option to "specify a program", give it a left click.
At the bottom of that box, there should be a box to check "always use this program" or similar. Give it a click, then go back up the program list and select Java.
OR will probably open immediately. In the future you will just have to double click on OR or a shortcut to it.

Hope this helps. I apologize if I sound like I am speaking below you level. I try to give the directions so that anyone will be able to follow along regardless of their knowledge of computers.

Back