• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

If Only Stupidity Was Painful...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Only Stupidity Was Painful...

I don't know, I'm pretty stupid and my life has been rather painful lately:(

Originally posted by rokitflite
This buyer obviously does not look at "Completed Items" to see that he overpaid by about $300

https://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-Mercury-...19QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2567QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The second place bidder bought one the next day for $275.:rolleyes:

I wish I had put one of mine up for sale last week!

(item #320017574419 in case the link does not work)

Interesting. reminds me of a rocketeer that we don't see around anymore who would bid things to incredibly high levels with 'dummy' ebay acounts, not pay for the auction, then turn around off-line and sell to others and use the fake biddding to show people how much of a deal they are saving by buying directly from him.

E.g., Centuri V-2 gets bidded up to $275.00. Winning bidder NEVER pays nor ever had any intention of buying. Winning bidder now is dealing with other people via email or in person, stating that he would sell his V-2 for just $225.00! Funny thing is that the V-2s he was selling were counterfit kits! And this is a true story :mad: Well the rocketeer mentioned is reported to have sold his entire collection (I doubt that seriously) and now just writes papers about the Martian geology.

I wonder if the same may have occured in the first auction? But yes, an Estes Mercury Atlas isn't worth $300+ unless you are REALLY desperate for it!

V'Ger

Look at the bidding history - it was simply a perfect storm: two newbies getting into a bidding war without a CLUE as to the real market value of what they were bidding on.

A complete, open box Mercury Atlas kit might sell for around $65 on eBay. Sealed and BNIB, maybe $105. Plus or minus 20% depending on timing.

Originally posted by vjp
Look at the bidding history - it was simply a perfect storm: two newbies getting into a bidding war without a CLUE as to the real market value of what they were bidding on.

A complete, open box Mercury Atlas kit might sell for around $65 on eBay. Sealed and BNIB, maybe $105. Plus or minus 20% depending on timing.

I would pay $65 for a Mercury Atlas, opened. Anyone selling, please PM me. I would turn it into an Atlas Centaur, and use the Mercury capsule for a little Joe scratch build. Please PM if you are selling in this range!

V'Ger

now i dont feel so bad went out a bought a 06 dodge charger daytona bring it home just to find out that ford has the shelby 500 gt

Unless the winning bidder knows the guy and purposely bid high to make sure he won. Hey, it could happen.

now i dont feel so bad went out a bought a 06 dodge charger daytona bring it home just to find out that ford has the shelby 500 gt

don't worry about it, the Charger is great! if it's not enough then get a Viper, ha ha.

Back