Ideas for getting rockets out of trees?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the frequent flyers with our club, brings a long tree pruner pole with him, the blade is removed and only a hook is left on the tip, it won't reach 60' but it will go 30' or 40'.

I retrieved a kite once using a kid holding a spin casting reel with the bail open and the line tied to a practice arrow on a crossbow. Lucky shot.

I'm wondering if it would be possible/practical to build a "crane" like a Shaduf (see image below). Kind of like the way Egyptians do their traditional irrigation.

shaduf.jpg

Using lengths of wood, rigid plastic (PVC Pipe), or lightweight metal pipe, create a tall X frame. The bottom of the X is placed on the ground, the top holds a third (and longer) length of material that has the hook, or a grabber on it and a line for controlling it. On the other end is a counter weight (e.g. jugs of water). This way the weight could be supported by the X, and the user only has to manipulate the lower portion like a lever.

If the materials are conductive, you will want to make sure you keep a look out for powerlines.

Upon reflection, this wouldn't be really easy to do for a 60' high tree, but a 30' high tree might be managed.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it would be possible/practical to build a "crane" like a Shaduf (see image below). Kind of like the way Egyptians do their traditional irrigation.

shaduf.jpg

Using lengths of wood, rigid plastic, or lightweight metal pipe, create a tall X frame. The bottom of the X is placed on the ground, the top holds a third (and longer) length of material that has the hook, or a grabber on it and a line for controlling it. On the other end is a counter weight (e.g. jugs of water). This way the weight could be supported by the X, and the user only has to manipulate the lower portion like a lever.

If the materials are conductive, you will want to make sure you keep a look out for powerlines.

What a Euclidean solution.

Got Big Daddy stuck about 60 ft up in a tree. Any ideas how to get it down?

thank you!

My giant Prang Crayon landed in one of our club's rocket eating trees last summer. Heavy rain was forecast so had to get this cardboard baby down fast. Tried in vain throwing ropes and weights, ladders that were too short, climbing the tree (too dangerous to risk one's life). Got my two friends who are competition archers to try and get a line up there to no avail. Finally found this young tree climber who enters tree climbing competitions. He got it down fast. Well worth the $75.00 considering the hardware costs and build time (and I can't find these BIG Crayons anymore). Now he is our official recovery expert.

Throwing weighted rope.JPG Competition archers.JPG Use a Pro.JPG Got it.JPG On the ground.JPG Happiness returns.JPG

Shotgun. Aimed directly at the rocket. But Boomer, this will destroy the rocket! Yeah, but it will never get stuck again!

Neat. I remember seeing that in one of the James Bond movies.

Me too! I had the joy/terror of seeing one in person. Friend and I were driving in the PNW, came around a bend and there was a bored-looking flagger, a truck at the side of the road, and a $@%#$@$@$# HELICOPTER PULLING SAW BLADES TO TRIM TREES. I took a picture because I was certain nobody would believe me.

Finally found this young tree climber who enters tree climbing competitions. He got it down fast. Well worth the $75.00 considering the hardware costs and build time (and I can't find these BIG Crayons anymore). Now he is our official recovery expert.

That's one of the best ideas I've heard of yet! :clap:

(Personally I'd still ask them to sign a responsibility waiver. ;))

I agree that a tree climber (often found under the title of 'arborist') might be the best bet if it is worth spending a little money. I'm sure it can vary widely, but we had a guy come and do a lot of work (close to six hours) limbing up seven 150'-175' Douglas-fir trees, and he only charged $300.

Managed to get this out of a tree at least 50ft up with a fishing pole and some lead tied to the line. It was deep in a thick tree and took some effort.
Kicker was, the persons rocket it was had to leave to go on a cruise. We went and purchased a rod / reel / line and lead AFTER he left and a few hours of trying. A week later when he got back and I returned it - I barely got a warm hearted thank you. Hopefully he didnt jade me from helping a stranger in the future.

Brents HP Mid section 002.jpg

Back