dream gave me a wild idea for recovering from tall grass

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketSquirrel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
this idea is dumb and not thought out but i dreamed that i found a small light weight compressed air canister, similar to NO2 canisters for whipped cream and rigged it up to a small weather balloon attached to the parachute. it had a servo/altimeter that punctured the seal when it got about 25 ft from the ground inflating a balloon, letting the rocket down slow and to hold the parachute in the air. it could have a bright light inside the balloon so you can see it after dark. I see all the problems with this but if you could make it work on a day with very light wind... idk a good idea could come out of this.

does anyone else have a crazy idea that you haven't wanted to mention out of fear of being called an idiot lol

I have them all the time. I get called an idiot all the time. I also have 3 NDA patents. Think outside the box. Make friends with squirrels, listen to the wind, take the road less traveled and never conform to anybody else's expectations of you. If the library is open, your education is free. Ask Ray Bradbury. Anybody can get a piece of paper. Far fewer are educated. Like my buddy Stickershock Mark has always said: "No matter how hard you push the envelope, it's still stationary". Keep dreaming, but learn to make them a reality. Add as many tools to your belt as you can. If all you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail. Always carry a metric crescent wrench. Having said all that, how's the prototype coming along? Peace.

I have them all the time. I get called an idiot all the time. I also have 3 NDA patents. Think outside the box. Make friends with squirrels, listen to the wind, take the road less traveled and never conform to anybody else's expectations of you. If the library is open, your education is free. Ask Ray Bradbury. Anybody can get a piece of paper. Far fewer are educated. Like my buddy Stickershock Mark has always said: "No matter how hard you push the envelope, it's still stationary". Keep dreaming, but learn to make them a reality. Add as many tools to your belt as you can. If all you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail. Always carry a metric crescent wrench. Having said all that, how's the prototype coming along
oops

this idea is dumb and not thought out but i dreamed that i found a small light weight compressed air canister, similar to NO2 canisters for whipped cream and rigged it up to a small weather balloon attached to the parachute. it had a servo/altimeter that punctured the seal when it got about 25 ft from the ground inflating a balloon, letting the rocket down slow and to hold the parachute in the air. it could have a bright light inside the balloon so you can see it after dark. I see all the problems with this but if you could make it work on a day with very light wind... idk a good idea could come out of this.

does anyone else have a crazy idea that you haven't wanted to mention out of fear of being called an idiot lol
I think you have an interesting idea. And when I tell someone what I have seen in the sky over the last 14 months they look at me like I'm crazy. Making it up or don't know what I'm looking at. I only see one flaw. NO2 wouldn't float the balloon. You would need hydrogen or helium. I have got helium balloons that are very thick with lights in them at Walmart. They have helium too. If you could inflate the balloon before flight and insert it into the BT. Protect it from the ejection charge. Even though it would have to be small it should still float. In the past I would inflate 10 or 12 of the balloons, tie them together and release them. They could be seen from a long way away. They would float over town. I was hoping someone would report a UFO to the newspaper. Didn't happen even though I did it many times. It was still fun.

I think you have an interesting idea. And when I tell someone what I have seen in the sky over the last 14 months they look at me like I'm crazy. Making it up or don't know what I'm looking at. I only see one flaw. NO2 wouldn't float the balloon. You would need hydrogen or helium. I have got helium balloons that are very thick with lights in them at Walmart. They have helium too. If you could inflate the balloon before flight and insert it into the BT. Protect it from the ejection charge. Even though it would have to be small it should still float. In the past I would inflate 10 or 12 of the balloons, tie them together and release them. They could be seen from a long way away. They would float over town. I was hoping someone would report a UFO to the newspaper. Didn't happen even though I did it many times. It was
Yeah i was thinking helium, im wondering if they have that one similar to the NO2 canisters.

One time we filled a blow up doll with helium and let it go, hoping it would make people think they missed the rapture of something haha

I’ve thought the same idea as well—a small mylar balloon that rises a few feet above your rocket to make it visible at a distance. Of course, a simpler way to make it visible is a long streamer that would lay on top of the grass, increasing your chance of seeing it.

And paint colors matter. My favorite is neon yellow with a neon orange candy cane stipe on the body. That is such an unnatural color scheme that your eye immediately sees it. I had an old Quest Nike Smoke I modified for F21 motors. It used a large mylar streamer for recovery. I lost it about every time it flew, but another flyer would always see it and return it. Of course, it was named, “Get Lost!"

Just cut up a survival blanket to make a parachute, which would make a nice shiny reflective surface to (hopefully) locate your rocket. The biggest problem is those little compressed gas canisters (even the CO2 ones for BB guns) are rather heavy, so the added weight there won't be offset by the balloon for a softer fall from the sky. While an interesting idea, all the electronic and mechanical bits to make it work won't be worth the effort for so little payoff.

And with that said: Start a YOUTUBE channel detailing your 7-year effort to make this work, and you could be rubbing elbows with Joe and Xyla!

What I have done is put a 3-4 foot cord on the chute to harness. This allows the chute (very bright color) to lay on top of the grass or crop This is much easier to see from a distance.

Back