Christmas Tree - scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRPoeKSU

Reaction score
I got an idea this summer and spent the next few months sketching and re-sketching, measuring and figuring out tree ratios… then I started using Open Rocket and thought ”I wonder if I can sim this”.
Built a cardboard and paper towel tube mock up (burned a hole in my thumb with the hot glue gun) and decided to go for it…

IMG_1805.jpeg

Based on a BT-60 tube with a 24mm Estes motor mount set for E but we launched on a D12-3 as that sim was high enough for me to feel safe.
Tree limbs / fins are 1/8” balsa hand cut
I made attachments from scrap balsa for the bottom of the fins and then glued the top directly to the tube. Then made glue fillets all over it.
10’ of 300 lb Kevlar attached to the motor mount
I WAS making a custom nose cone with the star and an eye bolt but I misplaced part of it while in the garage and opted for the nose cone.
120+ grams of washers in the nose (created a mount with a turnbuckle, some hot glue to fill the nose and epoxy)
One coat of primer and one coat of green as it was Friday already
Luckily the weekend launch moved to Sunday

Attachments

• IMG_1735.jpeg
    IMG_1735.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1734.jpeg
    IMG_1734.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1728.jpeg
    IMG_1728.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1726.jpeg
    IMG_1726.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1725.jpeg
    IMG_1725.jpeg
  • IMG_1724.jpeg
    IMG_1724.jpeg
  • IMG_1727.jpeg
    IMG_1727.jpeg
  • IMG_1756.jpeg
    IMG_1756.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
First launch (slow-mo video) turned a little and the parachute took more than a second to open but we had a ”successful” launch and recovery with only one of the big “fins” broken and the star broke a tip (The nose cone was half the rocket weight)
Some glue and we launched again (normal speed video) with a little more altitude and a clean parachute deployment. We only broke a small “fin” this time

We called it a day, now for next year’s tree… I’m thinking 3 feet would be more stable

Parachute was a 20” nylon, my daughter noticed we picked red :)

Attachments

• IMG_1790.mov
    10.7 MB
  • IMG_1786.mov
    35 MB
This smile is also AFTER retrieving my son’s Aerotech Cheetah FROM the lake (it was a little chilly) since the upper winds decided they wanted to drag his and another high flyer well east of the launch site.

A GREAT launch day overall!

IMG_1788.jpeg

This smile is also AFTER retrieving my son’s Aerotech Cheetah FROM the lake
From the lake you say?
I looked back through photos and that's the only one I got. Apparently I missed your second launch, probably while I was chasing a rocket around the lake myself. I was so hoping I wouldn't have to wade into that mud.

From the lake you say?
I looked back through photos and that's the only one I got. Apparently I missed your second launch, probably while I was chasing a rocket around the lake myself. I was so hoping I wouldn't have to wade into that mud.
Yeah… um, I went for a ”walk“ to the little island on the east side, the Cheetah was floating but stuck on a stick… I got a little wet but almost went in twice when my leg went through the mud to my knee! Gave the kiddos a good laugh and my daughter took pics for home to laugh as well 🙄
It (and I) dried out and I think it’ll launch again 🤞

2nd launch was towards the end of the day, had to give the glue some time to dry 😃

(THANKS for the pic of the first one though!)

… I got a little wet but almost went in twice when my leg went through the mud to my knee! Gave the kiddos a good laugh and my daughter took pics for home to laugh as well 🙄
!)
okay, MENTIONING funny pictures without POSTING them is just cruel.

thumbs up this post any and all that want to see the pics!

Back