I need some ideas mounting a key fob camera with a streamer....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to get some feed back from you guys about how to successfully mount a key fob camera with a streamer. Since I have a track record of blowing up rockets and / or losing things I thought it would be a good idea to help recover some of the items that concern me. Not that I care much the rocket, but the flight video is what I mainly want.

I usually mount the camera using a Velcro strip and then do a couple wraps of masking tape which seems to work fine, but my concern is what would be a good way of mounting the streamer and keeping in place while the rocket is in flight. One idea I came up with is to glue an extra launch lug to the rocket say 1/4" x 3 and roll up the streamer and put it inside. If there's any separation of the two the streamer will come out and be easy to find hopefully on the lake bed. I can attached a swivel to the camera and then attached some Kevlar to the streamer and tie it off on the swivel.

IMG_2369.jpgIMG_2370.jpg

If your concern is that the camera will fall off, I wouldn't worry about that. I've done a LOT of keychain camera launches, often with the camera mounted in an unusual location. I have had cameras break loose several times, but the only time I had one come off when it was taped to the body tube was on a lawn dart. The impact was enough to tear the masking tape and even then the camera was fine (I would post the cool video but when I did that before the mods hit me with an infraction).

If I wanted to attach a streamer to the camera, I would consider folding it tightly and putting it between the camera and the body tube so that the camera is holding it in place. That should work as long as the streamer is not too big. A 1 mil silver mylar streamer folds down to almost nothing and is easy to spot.

If your concern is that the camera will fall off, I wouldn't worry about that. I've done a LOT of keychain camera launches, often with the camera mounted in an unusual location. I have had cameras break loose several times, but the only time I had one come off when it was taped to the body tube was on a lawn dart. The impact was enough to tear the masking tape and even then the camera was fine (I would post the cool video but when I did that before the mods hit me with an infraction).

If I wanted to attach a streamer to the camera, I would consider folding it tightly and putting it between the camera and the body tube so that the camera is holding it in place. That should work as long as the streamer is not too big. A 1 mil silver mylar streamer folds down to almost nothing and is easy to spot.

I've had a rockets explode on me and vaporize into flame and ash so yeah I would like to be able to find the camera if it ever happens again. Also I think it would be cool if that happened and to capture it on video. My concern is if the streamer come out during flight. I suppose if I tried it the way you mention the tape so at least cover a portion of the streamer and keep it tucked away.

Back when I used to fly my rockets in the local park they often came down it the trees. I came up with an idea to recover the camera in the event that the rocket was stuck in a tree. The plan was to tightly strap the camera to the body tube with an Estes style rubber shock cord. Then use a deployment timer and e-match to burn through the shock cord after 15 minutes. If I recovered the rocket I would deactivate the timer.

Instead I joined MDRA and now fly only on their big fields, and I haven't put a rocket in a tree ever since.

I have flown my Competitor 5 on a 98-3G motor to around Mach speeds. I had the 808 camera on the side mounted via a 2-56 bolt through the lanyard hole. It was still there when I recovered the rocket.

I think you would be better off with a safety lanyard attaching the camera to rocket. I used a short piece of Kevlar thread with a slip knot that goes around the rocket with a separate piece of tape. if you have a separation at altitude, you may not be aware of it and your attention will be on the larger rocket and chute---- you may not notice a falling camera even with a little streamer. Better IMO to keep it all together.
Still concur with Nathan that if is unlikely the camera will fall off. I like using electrical tape as it is a little stretchy but very strong. Only downside is you need scissors to cut it, so you have to make sure you have tape AND scissors in your range box.

Back