Downward facing camera at center of motor cluster?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketSquirrel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes the ideas that pop in my head are terrible, sometimes not. Ive never seen a camera from this pov, and wanted to get some thoughts.

The idea is a camera between the motor mount(s) on the aft centering ring. A hole cut for the camera. Mounting it however needed.

I just think it'd be a cool shot with someone waving to the camera as they stand it up, so shot tilts to the ground and then you see the thrust as the earth gets smaller.

Has anyone tied streamers to the botttom at liftoff? See thats a bad idea...maybe haha

Sometimes the ideas that pop in my head are terrible, sometimes not. Ive never seen a camera from this pov, and wanted to get some thoughts.

The idea is a camera between the motor mount(s) on the aft centering ring. A hole cut for the camera. Mounting it however needed.

Yep, check out @Rocketjunkie 's upscale deuce video, super cool! No time for hand waving here...

The idea is a camera between the motor mount(s) on the aft⁸ centering ring. A hole cut for the camera. Mounting it however needed.

I just think it'd be a cool shot with someone waving to the camera as they stand it up, so shot tilts to the ground and then you see the thrust as the earth gets smaller.

Has anyone tied streamers to the botttom at liftoff? See thats a bad idea...maybe haha
Tying streamers to the back of your tractor motored rocket could be considered unnatural or a bad idea.
IMG_20141018_135440852.jpg
IMG_20151121_124448234.jpg
Dragon tails?....Questionable.
FB_IMG_1625991105445.jpg
Hauling up Skeletons? Scary.

Hauling up telescopic sections? Highly suspicious.
FB_IMG_1626664093221.jpg

But hauling up a camera in the hind end? No way. Cameras are meant to be mounted up front or taped to the side of the body tube just under the nose cone, where they should be! A weighty camera on the rear end? Terrible for CG...what's that you say? Canted tractor motors in widely spaced pods solve your problems. Why that's just crazy talk. Cool smoke trails as the earth gets smaller...Balderdash! Must think traditional 3-4FNC! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20141115_113538196.jpg
    IMG_20141115_113538196.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1626664093221.jpg
    FB_IMG_1626664093221.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0

I did this a while ago, not between motors but low on the side looking down. The liftoff smoke immediately collected on the lens and then only shaded images were captured. Look at the bottom of any rocket it is full of smoke particles, that is going to be on the lens too.

dB

Back