I Need Some Cold Power Help...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought a Vashon CP motor, but it's stateside, and I'm not...

I've simmed up the Shark and the Marauder w/o the motor info. I'd like to do the HoJo, but I've got even less info on it.

1694125466861.png

So, what I'm looking for are instructions for the HoJo, and info (photos and measurements) on the CP motors.

Thanks!
Pointy Side Up!

The Estes cold power convertible motors are NOT the same size as the Vashon V1 and V2 motors as they are small enough to fit inside BT-50 while the Vashon motors are a bit larger. I have recently gotten an example of each...I can do some digging and comparison soon, if I remember.

@Pinetree that is clearly NOT for a coldpower model, but one for 24mm D12s - the Maxi Brute Honest John I think.

So, what I bought was a "Cold Power Vashon V-1 Engine #802", clearly indicating that, like I said in the OP, I need some help. I really don't know diddly squat about ColdPower motors.

I've managed to do some research on them, but I don't know what I don't know. When I get back stateside and settled I'm hoping that I can get my hands on some original motors to take measurements from (external only, I don't feel the need to disassemble them), for simming purposes. Even if it means that I need to borrow them and return them to their owners. I wouldn't dream of doing that while I'm here in China.

I just really want to preserve the history of the hobby before it's lost to time.

Hey, I tried..
Thanks for that link though... That's the Maxi-Brute's instructions... I actually have a physical sample... But the launch shoes kinda kicked my but for a while. Now that we've got a newer version of OR, I think I can tackle it again (once I get things sorted).

The Estes cold power convertible motors are NOT the same size as the Vashon V1 and V2 motors as they are small enough to fit inside BT-50 while the Vashon motors are a bit larger. I have recently gotten an example of each...I can do some digging and comparison soon, if I remember.
Thanks for the info... I had thought that they were.

This site has some thrust curves of the V1 and V2 motors, using modern day refrigerant's. Remember the total impulse goes up and down depending on the temperature.

http://brotoro.com/vashon/flying.html

I'll check that out as soon as I can (it's just after midnight here, and I'm too bushed to boogie).

@K'Tesh, I have an older motor from a Valkyrie 2 but it doesn't look quite the same. I don't know if dimensions are different as well.

I'll take anything you got (photos, info, measurements). I really want to learn more on this topic, as it's a huge gap in my knowledge base.

I'll take anything you got (photos, info, measurements). I really want to learn more on this topic, as it's a huge gap in my knowledge base.

This is a beloved old friend of mine:

IMG_20200803_201543189c.jpg

IMG_20200803_201705935c.jpg

IMG_20200803_201716290c.jpgIMG_20200803_201830842c.jpg

Not my pics:

Valkyrie_Decal_cleaned.jpg

Unlike this one, mine came with balsa nose and aluminum payload section:

Vashon Build 2H.JPG

There is good documentation on JimZ's site.

An OR where I was documenting for a 3" fiberglass upscale. The nosecone isn't rounded, and I only have the "separator" and payload bay included.The 2nd small aluminum piece not included, and I'm not sure if it really belonged in the kit. The white nozzle looks like nylon or Delrin, and is an approximation in this file. I'll verify tube and nozzle dimensions later this evening:

Also attached is the 3" upscale in the build pile, for grins:

Attachments

• Valkyrie 2 Fin Pattern 2.ork
    1.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Upscale 3-1 Valkyrie 2 Fin Pattern 2 for 54mm nozzle.ork
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back