Hybrids 2024

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're threading mating parts, you must anodize them. Otherwise, you'll get galling on the threads and they'll bind horribly. Then, you'll wish you had anodized them...
Good advice.

Saying that, you can thread unanodized pieces together provided you use a suitable anti-seize, with 'suitable' very much up for interpretation. Personally, I've found aluminium specific anti-seize is one of the worst performing anti-seizes from my experience.

TP

Good advice.

Saying that, you can thread unanodized pieces together provided you use a suitable anti-seize, with 'suitable' very much up for interpretation. Personally, I've found aluminium specific anti-seize is one of the worst performing anti-seizes from my experience.

TP
I missed one piece of sand once..... never again. Took me an hour to get the parts separated and recover them back to operational. And 2 hours to put together an anodizing tank. One mating part was 1m long. I only had a pot 500mm deep. Had to anodize it in a length of 150mm drain tube vertically then boil it half turn it and boil the other end....

Over the weekend I cleaned my tanks some more (IPA and DI water), installed the modified pin valve on one and partially filled it with nitrous. The fill tank made a little crackling sound during the fill which made me wary. Turns out the company I got it from turns CO2 tanks into nitrous tanks by adding a new valve to them... they use way too much PTFE tape on the valve threads and get some enough strands of it inside the tank for it to get ripped apart and sucked out when opening the valve (hence the sound). I found some in the valve of my flight tank, yay, fortunately it still seals but it's something that could really cause some problems.

The 54mm motor is also done now, the only parts I still have to machine are spares. I could use the same parts on both the 38 and the 54, but I'd rather have a set for each. Next is printing some ABS grains for next weekend's tests!
(Anodization will follow ;) )

For the 54mm I went with a 12mm (a hair under 1/2") nozzle throat and 6 1,5mm (0,06") injector holes which should be right at the maximum flow rate of the modified pin valves.

Attachments

• 20240412_113835.jpg
    20240412_113835.jpg
    796.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240412_113840.jpg
    20240412_113840.jpg
    794.9 KB · Views: 2
Over the weekend I cleaned my tanks some more (IPA and DI water), installed the modified pin valve on one and partially filled it with nitrous. The fill tank made a little crackling sound during the fill which made me wary. Turns out the company I got it from turns CO2 tanks into nitrous tanks by adding a new valve to them... they use way too much PTFE tape on the valve threads and get some enough strands of it inside the tank for it to get ripped apart and sucked out when opening the valve (hence the sound). I found some in the valve of my flight tank, yay, fortunately it still seals but it's something that could really cause some problems.

The 54mm motor is also done now, the only parts I still have to machine are spares. I could use the same parts on both the 38 and the 54, but I'd rather have a set for each. Next is printing some ABS grains for next weekend's tests!
(Anodization will follow ;) )

For the 54mm I went with a 12mm (a hair under 1/2") nozzle throat and 6 1,5mm (0,06") injector holes which should be right at the maximum flow rate of the modified pin valves.
What thread form did you use for the screw in closure?

What thread form did you use for the screw in closure?
I'd say it's a cross between metric and unified? So metric 1mm pitch but with rounded crests. I've never had issues with galling but with folded over burrs/chips. Idk if there is a name for that but when cutting fine threads in aluminium and you're getting to the end, doing light passes and the crest is sharp, your chip can form more like a burr and fold over into the the next pitch. It's really easy to miss and will seize threads in an instance if you're unlucky. That's why I start rounding the crest using 4-600grit sandpaper on the final passes.

Hey all! I'm seriously considering getting into hybrids. I'm talking with some people in the r/rocketry discord, and am curious about what you guys have to say as well. My current idea is to purchase a Contrail 54mm 28 inch motor kit. I have a 3D printer, so I'd be printing a lot of my fuel grains (after trying out a couple of reloads first to get the hang of things). I'd like to build my own GSE, I have experience with arduino-based microcontrollers. Would definitely seek some assistance in understanding the plumbing so I don't blow myself up.

Does this all seem like a reasonable route so far? I do have a few friends in the hybrid and liquid side of things, so they can definitely help me out.

Also, is Micro Nitro still around? I sent an email a week ago and haven't heard anything back. Thought a Mini hybrid would be fun to go fly at the park!

Thanks guys!

Hey all! I'm seriously considering getting into hybrids. I'm talking with some people in the r/rocketry discord, and am curious about what you guys have to say as well. My current idea is to purchase a Contrail 54mm 28 inch motor kit. I have a 3D printer, so I'd be printing a lot of my fuel grains (after trying out a couple of reloads first to get the hang of things). I'd like to build my own GSE, I have experience with arduino-based microcontrollers. Would definitely seek some assistance in understanding the plumbing so I don't blow myself up.

Does this all seem like a reasonable route so far? I do have a few friends in the hybrid and liquid side of things, so they can definitely help me out.

Also, is Micro Nitro still around? I sent an email a week ago and haven't heard anything back. Thought a Mini hybrid would be fun to go fly at the park!

Thanks guys!
Hey Matt, fancy seeing you here. I'll try and give you a discord call later today.

…are you me?? That’s the exact approach I’m taking currently! Although I’ll be printing grains for a 38mm x 16”. I haven’t flown the contrail motor as I haven’t finished the ground support, but I’m waiting to see if my club is pulling the trigger on buying that equipment. If they do, it’d be better to do a donation to the club instead of buying my own, that way it’s available for everyone on every launch day rather than sitting at my house for half the year.

I think the last time I spoke to Lee from Micronitro rocketry would have been back in December last year, he is probably still around but I know he was scaling back a fair bit.

Micro hybrids are really cool little motors though. I’ve had a lot of success with printed fuel grains in those using ABS and ASA filament, the last flight on my micro would have just crept in to the E impulse range if my accelerometer is accurate enough. I haven’t got a mini though but seriously considering one, it’s just that sourcing 16 gram nitrous bulbs is pretty difficult here.

…are you me?? That’s the exact approach I’m taking currently! Although I’ll be printing grains for a 38mm x 16”. I haven’t flown the contrail motor as I haven’t finished the ground support, but I’m waiting to see if my club is pulling the trigger on buying that equipment. If they do, it’d be better to do a donation to the club instead of buying my own, that way it’s available for everyone on every launch day rather than sitting at my house for half the year.

I think the last time I spoke to Lee from Micronitro rocketry would have been back in December last year, he is probably still around but I know he was scaling back a fair bit.

Micro hybrids are really cool little motors though. I’ve had a lot of success with printed fuel grains in those using ABS and ASA filament, the last flight on my micro would have just crept in to the E impulse range if my accelerometer is accurate enough. I haven’t got a mini though but seriously considering one, it’s just that sourcing 16 gram nitrous bulbs is pretty difficult here.
Wait you can literally just use printed ASA or ABS chunks as grains? That's cool af!!

Also, how does one even start with hybrids? I've seen em around but I'd love a formal source of info on it. It's currently a league above what I like to do, but it would really cool to attempt this down the line.

Wait you can literally just use printed ASA or ABS chunks as grains? That's cool af!!

Also, how does one even start with hybrids? I've seen em around but I'd love a formal source of info on it. It's currently a league above what I like to do, but it would really cool to attempt this down the line.
You sure can! And 3D printing them makes complex port geometry possible too. I gained a huge leap in performance out of my micro-hybrid just from tweaking the geometry to maximise surface area and mixing in the port. In theory, anything that burns can be used as a fuel grain in a hybrid, but a small amount of energetic material or propellant is often used as a “pre-heater” to provide a heat source that is hot enough to decompose the nitrous oxide and get the motor burning.

Hybrids are definitely a step up in complexity but you’re in the right place to start learning. Contrail Rockets has motor assembly videos on their website that are worth watching as well. If there is someone at a rocketry club near you that flys hybrids, they will probably be happy to show you a bit about them.

Hybrids are also WAY cheaper on per flight costs if you’re outside the US, but the extra ground support equipment is pretty expensive at first.

Attachments

• IMG_5118.jpeg
    IMG_5118.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
You sure can! And 3D printing them makes complex port geometry possible too. I gained a huge leap in performance out of my micro-hybrid just from tweaking the geometry to maximise surface area and mixing in the port. In theory, anything that burns can be used as a fuel grain in a hybrid, but a small amount of energetic material or propellant is often used as a “pre-heater” to provide a heat source that is hot enough to decompose the nitrous oxide and get the motor burning.

Hybrids are definitely a step up in complexity but you’re in the right place to start learning. Contrail Rockets has motor assembly videos on their website that are worth watching as well. If there is someone at a rocketry club near you that flys hybrids, they will probably be happy to show you a bit about them.

Hybrids are also WAY cheaper on per flight costs if you’re outside the US, but the extra ground support equipment is pretty expensive at first.
Hell yeah. I'll check out the vids. Are micro hybrids any simpler? Or just more convenient because size?

I'm in the US unfortunately :( I'm a member of MDRA, and they have a large club so there is bound to be someone flying hybrids. I've only see solid rockets there though... I'll have to check if there are any club rules or restrictions to be safe.

Hell yeah. I'll check out the vids. Are micro hybrids any simpler? Or just more convenient because size?

I'm in the US unfortunately :( I'm a member of MDRA, and they have a large club so there is bound to be someone flying hybrids. I've only see solid rockets there though... I'll have to check if there are any club rules or restrictions to be safe.
The micro-hybrids can be cheaper and easier not just because of size but also because you don't need any GSE for filling the tank. Problem is most micro-hybrids use steel whippet cartridges, which can't be flown at TRA launches even as an experimental motor, and it can be hard to track down the aluminum cartridges that would be allowed.

The micro-hybrids can be cheaper and easier not just because of size but also because you don't need any GSE for filling the tank. Problem is most micro-hybrids use steel whippet cartridges, which can't be flown at TRA launches even as an experimental motor, and it can be hard to track down the aluminum cartridges that would be allowed.
Does NAR do the same restrictions for steel carts? I know there are still material restrictions, but I'm wondering if the carts are exempt somehow. Also, what impulse classes do microhybrids span? I only have my L1 at the moment, but am aiming to get my L2 this year as well.

Does NAR do the same restrictions for steel carts? I know there are still material restrictions, but I'm wondering if the carts are exempt somehow. Also, what impulse classes do microhybrids span? I only have my L1 at the moment, but am aiming to get my L2 this year as well.
You need to be L2 certified to fly any size EX hybrid.

totally fine.... I will not get to it before getting my L2 anyway. I think this might be something I will explore next year since I have a lot of goals for this year already (plus money doesn't grow on trees... its just made from them and there are only so many trees, but I digress lol)

So at least here in the US, you can order aluminum 8g N2O cartridges. However, I've just asked Demar about these designs and what he thinks regarding the fact that flashback is probably not a concern at this scale, and the cartridges are already pre-loaded with the N2O. He's taken it up with the other TRA folks and we might get a new rule for mini and micro hybrids.

[EDIT: Didn't see Demar already up there! Hey John!]

So at least here in the US, you can order aluminum 8g N2O cartridges. However, I've just asked Demar about these designs and what he thinks regarding the fact that flashback is probably not a concern at this scale, and the cartridges are already pre-loaded with the N2O. He's taken it up with the other TRA folks and we might get a new rule for mini and micro hybrids.

[EDIT: Didn't see Demar already up there! Hey John!]
Yeah I found some on Amazon no problem. Does it really only take 8g? or do hybrids use multiple carts if more than that is needed?

So am I understanding correctly (after watching one of the assembly videos), when you're loading the oxidizer, you're pressurizing the casing with the oxidizer? I always thought there would be another tank or something inside the rocket... so its a little less plumbing than I thought which is great. I assume you need electronic ejection considering it uses the fore end as an internal vent (for Contrail Rocketry at least), correct?

So am I understanding correctly (after watching one of the assembly videos), when you're loading the oxidizer, you're pressurizing the casing with the oxidizer? I always thought there would be another tank or something inside the rocket... so its a little less plumbing than I thought which is great. I assume you need electronic ejection considering it uses the fore end as an internal vent (for Contrail Rocketry at least), correct?
To the best of my understanding, the injector assembly is sealed, so everything forward of it is the "tank." But yeah, the casing itself is what gets pressurized. Yeah, you'll need electronic recovery.

To the best of my understanding, the injector assembly is sealed, so everything forward of it is the "tank." But yeah, the casing itself is what gets pressurized. Yeah, you'll need electronic recovery.
This seems way more achievable than I thought. I was originally intimidated by the amount of technical challenges I assumed hybrids had. This looks more putting together a reloadable casing than I expected.

This seems way more achievable than I thought. I was originally intimidated by the amount of technical challenges I assumed hybrids had. This looks more putting together a reloadable casing than I expected.
Yeah, I keep saying that I feel like I'm being sold a time share. It feels way too good to be true, I'm waiting for the catch hahaha. It seems like the catch is the up-front cost of having to build GSE, but after that.... seems pretty good!

The research committee is getting close to making a recommendation to the TRA BOD on micro/mini hybrids.

Lee Dexter of micronitrorocketry.com has done extensive design and testing for many years.
Happy to hear this. Hopefully they'll approve the regular canisters.

Hopefully Lee's still making 'em, too. I'd love to take one to the park. Such a neat bit of complexity for the tiny scale! Little Estes sized rocket with a bi-prop motor and electronic recovery, so cool! Would be a great way to introduce like-minded folks into rocketry, way more to it than initially meets the eye.

Last edited:
Hopefully Lee's still making 'em, too. I'd love to take one to the park. Such a neat bit of complexity for the tiny scale! Little Estes sized rocket with a bi-prop motor and electronic recovery, so cool! Would be a great way to introduce like-minded folks into rocketry, way more to it than initially meets the eye.
They need the "100%" emote reaction or something. Hard agree on the introduction to hybrid rocketry aspect.

Outta curiosity, does this limitation include ground testing? You said “fly”lol

Looking at the micro and mini hybrids is really interesting. I’d probably start with a mini to get into the E range, but also it would be fascinating to see what I could do with it even before flying it.

Outta curiosity, does this limitation include ground testing? You said “fly”lol

Looking at the micro and mini hybrids is really interesting. I’d probably start with a mini to get into the E range, but also it would be fascinating to see what I could do with it even before flying it.
Yes, L2 required to do static firings at a TRA launch.

Back