HPR Motor Storage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewGil

I think I know what I am doing
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
How do yall store your HPR motors? I know most of the people will say in some sort of plastic container that can be locked, even a small carrying toolbox. But for those that are buying in bulk to cover the Hazmat fee, how are you storing motors?

I store homemade propellant grains and reloads that I've bought in two cheap plastic toolboxes. For storage of a few months or so I just leave the reload or motor in its bag or cardboard tube, in the toolbox.

For longer-term storage, gray anti-static electronics bags are often polyester, PET, which is less permeable to moisture than ordinary (polyethylene, LDPE or HDPE) bags. Propellant/motors go into such a bag. I heat-seal rather than using the zip-closure.

'Crystal cat litter' is silica gel, a cheap and effective desiccant for keeping motors or other materials/items dry for long-term storage. Drill lots of small holes in a plastic jar or medicine bottle, fill it, keep it in the (airtight) storage box or in a larger bag that holds motors in their own bags. Ammo boxes are great; Harbor Freight sells new ones with airtight rubber seals.

White Lightning propellant (and to a lesser extent, Black Jack) contain substances that react slowly and irreversably with moisture. WL grains can swell enough so that the core closes up, or that they no longer fit into the motor. For long-term storage of those motors an airtight container and desiccant are reasonable precautions.

How do yall store your HPR motors? I know most of the people will say in some sort of plastic container that can be locked, even a small carrying toolbox. But for those that are buying in bulk to cover the Hazmat fee, how are you storing motors?
I store them in surplus metal ammo cans, but I’ve been tempted to buy one of those locking job site tool boxes and line it with OSB.

I store them in surplus metal ammo cans, but I’ve been tempted to buy one of those locking job site tool boxes and line it with OSB.
Same here! I have one explosives box from the old days. I use a job box for larger motors. I also use a lot of old ammo cans. They come in a huge variety of sizes.

I store most of mine in a plastic 7 gallon food grade bucket with a gamma seal lid. I throw in rechargeable desiccants in metal cans that change color when they need to be dried out in the oven. for the reloads that I go through often (G64's and such) I keep them in their unopened package, in the range box. For the larger stuff that doesn't fit in the bucket, I have one of those thin, long, underbed plastic storage bins that I store the reloads in.

Prfessor's recommendation of the mylar ESD bags is a good one, but I don't have a heat sealer yet.

Sealable plastic bags in a metal tool box for each motor type, locked in a 2-drawer filing cabinet for storage in the workshop. The tool boxes go out to the range.

Attachments

• 4245ce65-b726-4bb4-bb8f-c4c079a8e9af.jpeg
    4245ce65-b726-4bb4-bb8f-c4c079a8e9af.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • GFCA2-SG.jpeg
    GFCA2-SG.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
At home i have 3 of the large 5ft x 2ft job boxes. All are certified BATFE storage containers. 2 of them are retired one still in service with my LEMP that ive kept all these years. I store motors after vacuum sealing them into the 2 retired boxes. Along with the majority of my research motors and chemicals. For travel i have 2 xlarge ammo containers that were converted to day boxes i use to transport to launches or pick up.

I have a metal locker.
View attachment 587461

View attachment 587462

Suitable labels on the outside of the door, of course.

Motors generally left sealed until almost needed.
I like the idea of a vented metal locker instead of a sealed locker, which allows some pressure release in case of a fire. I use a vented heavy gauge metal electrical box, used previously for switching and control electronics in a factory, bolted to a wall and locked. The laws in the Netherlands treat motors as explosives, and require this kind of storage. Lockable, for the same concerns as guns, but then with vents.

I use old surplus ammo and military rocket boxes. Even with the manufacturers date codes, I write the date that I bought them on the outside of the packaging. I keep an inventory of all my motors in Excel, along with some of each motor's properties. As I run sims, I can consult my inventory list and add key sim data to another tab on the Excel sheet. I keep the motors in their original packaging until prepping for a launch. If I don't get around to using that motor at the launch, I put it back in the original packaging and put into a sealable plastic bag, or if a reload, put the reload into a plastic bag and then back in a metal box.

I use old surplus ammo and military rocket boxes. Even with the manufacturers date codes, I write the date that I bought them on the outside of the packaging. I keep an inventory of all my motors in Excel, along with some of each motor's properties. As I run sims, I can consult my inventory list and add key sim data to another tab on the Excel sheet. I keep the motors in their original packaging until prepping for a launch. If I don't get around to using that motor at the launch, I put it back in the original packaging and put into a sealable plastic bag, or if a reload, put the reload into a plastic bag and then back in a metal box.
I like your level of detail there. I might have to do something similar.

I just checked my HPR motor inventory after the URRF launch last week. I currently have 242 HPR motors ranging from a bunch of 29mm motors up to an O5500. I can't fit all these in containers. I have another 200+ LPR and MPR motors on hand.

For smaller motors, I store them in various plastic organizers and in a bunch of the sturdy boxes RCS uses to ship out motors to vendors.

For longer 38mm and 54mm motors and all motors 75mm and larger, I grain bond them when I receive them and "seal" then ends of the liners with plastic wrap and green frog tape. I label the liners with the motor name, date and which end is for the nozzle or forward closure. I also label the ends. This allows me to stack them on metal shelving and quickly go through and find the motors I am looking for. All the other motor parts (o-rings, nozzles, etc) go into a ziploc bag for each motor with the instructions. These are easily stored in a single bag.

I am currently building a mobile wood rack for all my motor cases so they can be stored standing vertically to save space and lessen the chance they will get damaged.

I also ended up with a lot of Festool "systainers" that were empty because the tools themselves reside in their own homes in my shop. I found the systainers fit perfectly on the shelving I installed in my trailer, so they work great for transporting lots of stuff to launches.

I just checked my HPR motor inventory after the URRF launch last week. I currently have 242 HPR motors ranging from a bunch of 29mm motors up to an O5500. I can't fit all these in containers. I have another 200+ LPR and MPR motors on hand.
Wow.... I have 13 HPR, and a whopping 41 MPR. Most likely 10 or so of my MPR will have to be scrapped due to age and condition.

What will fit in 30cal and 50cal ammo cans are stored there. Need to get a bigger one (80mm mortar can?) for the few longer reloads I have. Hate to spend $25 for the can to store 4 reloads, but better than letting them absorb moisture and oxygen. Thinking that I might put my cheap vacuum sealer to work on 24mm multi-paks so that when one is used, the remainder stay protected.

4VSiSIs.gif

ADvH9Sy.gif

I have 1 HPR motor, are they hiring where you work?:D

For smaller motors, I store them in various plastic organizers and in a bunch of the sturdy boxes RCS uses to ship out motors to vendors.

For longer 38mm and 54mm motors and all motors 75mm and larger, I grain bond them when I receive them and "seal" then ends of the liners with plastic wrap and green frog tape. I label the liners with the motor name, date and which end is for the nozzle or forward closure. I also label the ends. This allows me to stack them on metal shelving and quickly go through and find the motors I am looking for. All the other motor parts (o-rings, nozzles, etc) go into a ziploc bag for each motor with the instructions. These are easily stored in a single bag.

I am currently building a mobile wood rack for all my motor cases so they can be stored standing vertically to save space and lessen the chance they will get damaged.

I also ended up with a lot of Festool "systainers" that were empty because the tools themselves reside in their own homes in my shop. I found the systainers fit perfectly on the shelving I installed in my trailer, so they work great for transporting lots of stuff to launches.
242, Holly hell! I only have 4 on order and I thought that was a lot.

oh, i can beat 242. They are all stored in RCS shipping boxes, separated by diameter and size, except for that which is in my trailer where each motor has a slot.....

oh, i can beat 242. They are all stored in RCS shipping boxes, separated by diameter and size, except for that which is in my trailer where each motor has a slot.....
New goal in life. Make a big enough shop to build rockets and hold 242+ HPR motors.

I keep my EX grains loaded in the cases with desiccant and a plastic bag taped over the nozzle end. The extras are in .50 cal ammo cans.
All my 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm reloads stay in the manufactures packaging and are all in a 12 gal. Husky container I got from Home Depot.

Husky 12 gal container.png

The difference between me and Rick is that I am a "user" and he is a "pusher". Or maybe he is an instigator? He pushes and instigates me to do stupid things ;). Either way, we're both addicted hopeless screwed up rocketeers ... :)

I store most of mine in a plastic 7 gallon food grade bucket with a gamma seal lid. I throw in rechargeable desiccants in metal cans that change color when they need to be dried out in the oven. for the reloads that I go through often (G64's and such) I keep them in their unopened package, in the range box. For the larger stuff that doesn't fit in the bucket, I have one of those thin, long, underbed plastic storage bins that I store the reloads in.

Prfessor's recommendation of the mylar ESD bags is a good one, but I don't have a heat sealer yet.
Where can I get rechargeable dessicants?

Where can I get rechargeable dessicants?
"Crystal" cat litter is silica gel; even has the blue indicator crystals. Drill a bunch of small holes in a medicine bottle, peanut butter jar, whatever. Fill it, place jar in the storage container. It can be regenerated by spreading it in a pan and heating in an oven at about 110C/230F for a couple of hours. But it's so cheap that I just toss it.

FWIW desiccants are good at keeping stuff dry. They're very slow at drying moist stuff. Days or weeks, depending on what is being dried and how much there is.

Ahhh one of my favorite stores to shop at.
Thanks Rick lol

Attachments

• IMG_9062.jpeg
    IMG_9062.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back