How many projects?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvrocket

Reaction score
How many projects do you have going at one time? I currently have only one for myself, but my sons have me helping with four of theirs. I'm starting to think about my next project, and wonder if I should completely finish my current project, or start designing my next one.

john

Depends upon what you mean by "on the go". If you include projects in the active research stage or "collecting component", maybe half a dozen (some have been ongoing for years!). But I never really have more than two in the "active build" phase.

alot of mine are in the painting stage. Only 2 or three are being built. See my signiture for more details :D

Ben

I have 4 currently in some phase of construction. Aerotech Tomahawk-finishing decals. A modified Estes 36D-Squared-final paint and finishing. A Cosmodrome Nike-Smoke-just getting started on primering. A year old PML Amraam 4-about in the middle of modified construction, and about a dozen kits as yet untouched. I like working like this because if I get bored with one thing I move to another. When I start construction on my Semroc Saturn 1B. I'm going to put any other projects aside so I can concentrate just on it- its really well detailed and I want to do a good job on it.

Awe crap?!
You really expect me to try to count?
Forget it.
At least 10.

OK, so, from what I gather, I probably could start designing and preping for my next project.

Any suggestions? I haven't launched a mpr yet, but that is what I am working on. so should I build something that I could test for level 1 or should I be more patient and build and fly a few more mpr's?

thanks

John

Usually I build one at a time but I could have 3 or 4 waiting for paint. I like to paint in batches. Keeps the mess confined and gives me plenty to do.

Research of course is ongoing.:)

I've got the HarGoon and Moon Rocket that need paint, the Diet Seven-Up and Diet Cherry Seven-Up that I'm currently building, a Big Daddy and 4" scratch Phoenix that I'll probably start building before I finish the Seven Ups, and the Crazy Eight is designed, but I don't have all the aprts yet. You can never have too many projects!

In regards to MPR vs level 1, it all depends. I've been there, done that on Level 1 (both my tripoli membership and my cert lapsed a decade ago) and am enjoying LPR/MPR stuff right now (7x13 cluster, 7x18 cluster, 7x13 + 1x18 cluster, two-stage 18mm, single 24mm's, and a single 29 are in my fleet/on my workbench/in my queue).

You could easily build a bird that flies nicely on high-thrust G's, but will handle a small H without any problem, and if you're interested in pursuing your level 1 cert soon then that may be a good idea. The "High-power" 29mm hardware probably makes a good stepping stone to a L1 cert, although I did mine with the 32mm hardware and a dedicated "high power" rocket (Cluster-R 2.6" sandhawk). Now that they've got the 32/120 hardware, though, I'm planning to fly it on high-thrust G's until I get the cash to pursue my cert again (membership dues and LEUP fees are bigger than my rocket budget right now).

-Rick

2 active builds on scratch L2 class birds; several unopened LPR kits; a number of other scratch designs in my head and on the drawing board and in simulation.

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Awe crap?!
You really expect me to try to count?
Forget it.
At least 10.

What he said

times three or four

I have the attention span of a Cocker Spaniel puppy with ADD.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
snip...I have the attention span of a Cocker Spaniel puppy with ADD.
WOW! that's pretty sho....
Oooh, what's that shiny, pretty thing out the window?
What were we talking about again? :p

Right now, I'm actively trying to complete the build of a beta kit for the Rokitflite Fake Wulf boost glider. Please see various other threads for information on this kit, which is *very* cool!

Also in the works are:
-Semroc Recruiter, which mostly just needs the fins glued on to be ready for paint
-Semroc Defender, which needs some tubes painted before I can continue with the build
-ASP 24 mm V-2, which really just needs to have the fins and some detail pieces glued on to be ready for paint

I tend to start a build and then get distracted and start on something else, which is why I've got these four in the works.

As of right now, none. I do have parts for one coming, but with my budget (student, no job) I have to be careful with what I buy.

Originally posted by pvrocket
OK, so, from what I gather, I probably could start designing and preping for my next project.

Any suggestions? I haven't launched a mpr yet, but that is what I am working on. so should I build something that I could test for level 1 or should I be more patient and build and fly a few more mpr's?

Fly a few mid power rockets and enjoy the ride! I spent about two or three years flying low and mid powered stuff before I got my level 1. Granted, my L1 bird was the fourth bigger rocket I built, but I flew it on G loads for awhile before stepping up to an H (PML Small Endeavour - certed on an H165).

Get the PML Amraam 2. You'll love it, and it's fabulous on any G load you can get your hands on, and some F loads as well. The AT Initiator was my first MPR.

When the weather is nice out, I usually have at least one rocket in each stage of completion; one or two under construction, one filled/sealed, one primed, one awaiting it's final coat of paint, and a few in development/simulation mode. :)

However, I currently have a pretty good back-log of built rockets awaiting filling/sealing, primer and painting (it has been too cold to prime of paint here until about a week ago :eek: )

I'm was down to three (a low for me). Then I opened the Sunward Six Footer.

And then with a $5 off coupon from Ace I added an 8" diameter sonotube to the cart with visions of an upscale R2D2 that actually could fly well. The concept of a "Pretty Fly R2D2" is in its embryonic stages now.

Five and holding I guess.

Oh - as far as how many projects I have going at once, I'll usually have a few at a time waiting for paint. As far as building, it depends on the complexity of what I'm building. Most of the stuff I've been working on lately is more complex than what I'm used to, so I've been going slow and one at a time in order to make sure that I don't lose focus on the problems I'm solving in the current builds. Plus, the one I have now takes up my entire work table...lol

With simpler stuff, I'll sometimes have two or three going at once so I have something to do while waiting for glue to dry.

Originally posted by Loopy With simpler stuff, I'll sometimes have two or three going at once so I have something to do while waiting for glue to dry.
That's a problem I never run into, with three little boys (and a wife!) at home!
:D :D :D

Originally posted by JRThro
That's a problem I never run into, with three little boys (and a wife!) at home!
:D :D :D

My wife works a few evenings a week, and I typically build on nights she's at work after I put the kids to bed, so I need to maximize my time...lol

Two or three in various stages typically. Often I will put down a project for four or five months, focus on another, then pick it up again at that later date. A bit of a round robin approach I guess.

-Tim

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
I have the attention span of a Cocker Spaniel puppy with ADD.

And I thought I was the only one. My mom still to this day tells me that I start too many projects before finishing the last one (or dozen)

I guess right now I have about 7 projects going, but 3 of those are in the painting stage which is taking me a long time since I'm just learning.

Since I'm just getting started on the rocketry thing some projects have a lot of down time while I get stocked up on supplies, so in my impatience I've started up a few more projects than I would choose to have going at a time.

Right now I have an Enerjet Nike Ram clone that needs to be decaled, a Semroc Aero-Dart which is ready for primer and a Semroc Hustler which I am sanding/sealing the fins.

Now, if I want to REALLY bring up some old projects, I have an Estes Saturn V (K-36), Saturn 1B (K-29) and Gemini-Titan (K-21) that since 1972-73 have been waiting for me to paint them. :D

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
And I thought I was the only one. My mom still to this day tells me that I start too many projects before finishing the last one (or dozen)

Looks like I need to join the club. :(

Ben

Right now I have 39 that I have started and put back in the bag for one reason or another and a few others that need repair.

I think I have the spaniel disease as well. :D :D

5 staged...
Trying to salvage some old ones... ARCAS and Vigilante (Honest John wont fly again)... building Quest Intruder and Harpoon ...1 ready for paint.

:)

Picture001.jpg

Usually 2-3. But not being able to paint during the winter caused me to accumulate a lot of nekked rockets.

So now, 16 - including a Redstone not in the pic.

in_progress

At this point I have 3 waiting paint, 3 that I am cutting fins and centering rings for, and 1 that I am working on the electronics for (first DD)

I usually have a few in various stages of contruction.

I just finished a Rokitflite Fake Wulf beta build. You can see the finished model in the reviews forum.

Just last night, I finished the decals on a Sirius Rocketry U.S.S. Atlantis refit that I've been working on for 2 years. It just needs a coat of Future and it's done. :D

I have a Semroc Lil' Ivan that needs decals.

A Semroc Texas Firefly, Semroc Skyhook, Fliskits Diminutive Deuce and Estes Shrike that need paint and decals. The Shrike has been waiting for paint 35 years. :rolleyes:

Currently all but my secert project,( confidentiol) are all ready for paint.

Back