Houston High Power Launches?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmight

Reaction score
I was looking for a club that flies high power near Houston. I found the website for Tripoli Houston and noticed the field is a couple hours northwest of the city. Is this the closest club or is there any others who fly high power nearer the city?

Thanks!

Jacob

Yes, I think the NASA/JSC club flies HPR, but I believe it's limited to H or J impulse.

Because Houston has two major commercial airports, you can't fly high unless you get out of high-volume, low air traffic areas. In Houston, like many major metropolitan municipalities, flying a rocket in the city limits is frowned on by the local constabulary.

AFAIK, the Houston Club is not planning on flying in August (it's hot and I think it conflicts with AirFest or another major US launch).

Greg

Ahh yes, I was wondering about the club that flies at JSC. I'll have to come and check you guys out!

I figured there wouldn't be any HPR launches in the city limits, but I was hoping there would be something closer than about 3 hours from my house. Which is silly, considering I had to drive for longer than that to go to HPR launches back in Indy anyway. :p

Thanks for the information!

Oh, yes NHRC is currently limited to an "I" motor. I have dropped the hint about a "J" which was met with "Maybe". Biggest conflict is the ceiling. Even if they let us fly a J, the 2000ft SD / 2500ft DD limit will still need to be met. (Just another challenge for my L2)

A couple of hour drive from a major metropolitan area to get to an HP launch with a decent waiver is the rule rather than the exception.

When DARS finally gets to launch at our Corsicana site, that will be around an hour or a bit more for most members for a 9250' waiver and that is not too bad.

Back