HOK paint ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyrovette20

Reaction score
Can I use paint thinner instead of reducer with black base coat BC-25. I ran out of reducer last time I painted. I believe the reducer is RU-311. If so do you mix it at 2:1

I'm not sure but I sure love there spray paint I just painted my Rip Roar with testers black and HOK Candy Green NC and Fin's.

Can I use paint thinner instead of reducer with black base coat BC-25. I ran out of reducer last time I painted. I believe the reducer is RU-311. If so do you mix it at 2:1

You can't use paint thinner with HOK, but you can use lacquer thinner. HOK bc have a unique chemistry that allows dilution with either HOK reducers or lacquer thinners. The major caveat is that if you use lacquer thinner with HOK, then you MUST use a lacquer-based catalyzed clear coat instead of a urethane-based clear. Failure to do so could result in major issues. In terms of thinning, I've never used lacquer thinner with HOK, so it might be a little bit of trial and error as to the ratio of thinner to HOK, but it should probably be fine with 2 parts HOK, 1 part lacquer thinner.

Lacquer-based products do tend to shrink slightly while they dry. That's the advantage of using urethanes and HOK reducers.

Addendum: Although you could use lacquer thinner (Black Gold packages small quantities of HOK colors pre-diluted with lacquer thinner), HOK tech sheets do specify to only use HOK reducers and make little mention of lacquer thinners. So, I'm not certain how different diluting with lacquer thinner v HOK reducer will affect performance as I've never personally done it. Just be sure as mentioned above to use a lacquer-based catalyzed clear coat. Personally, I'd stick with HOK reducer.

Here's a link to pdf file for the tech sheets for all the HOK products.
https://www.houseofkolor.co.za/documents/HOK_Tech_07.pdf
You'll have to go to page 53 to see the lacquer thinning info.

I am going to use HOK paint on my 7.5" Sandhawk Terrier. Just so I am clear, I am using the BC-26 white base under SG series Euro Red. The Base and SG paint are both reduced at 2:1 paint/RU Right?? The SG paint says 2:1 but the bases don't. TIA

Ben

I am going to use HOK paint on my 7.5" Sandhawk Terrier. Just so I am clear, I am using the BC-26 white base under SG series Euro Red. The Base and SG paint are both reduced at 2:1 paint/RU Right?? The SG paint says 2:1 but the bases don't. TIA

Ben

Yes. See my link above. That gives you ALL tech sheets (in one file) which tells you information about application and reduction. Be sure to use the correct reducer for the temperature you'll be painting ... there are 3: RU-310, 311, and 312. Don't forget to topcoat with a catalyzed urethane clear coat. And use appropriate protection as the hardeners contain isocyanates which can kill you.

Did some painting yesterday. I did use the lacquer thinner worked out pretty good. Mixed it approx. 2:1

Back