Help !!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket trike

Reaction score
Hello I have a couple questions about the big rocket. The top of the rocket is a BT60 tube and reduce to the bottom to a BT55. The reducer has a 3/8" hole through it. Would this be a big enough hole for the ejection gasses to work on the nose cone?

Also been told that it would be cool to have the top part as a cargo bay. If I did this could I put a launch lug on the on the cargo bay? I did not want to have two launch lug on wood sticking out? Also if I did do this I would have to plug the hole in the reducer. what should I use for this?

Any other suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Tom

You could make the rocket seperate at the top of the BT 55/transition joint. Block the hole through the transition with an appropriate sized disk of plywood, epoxied into place at the lower end of the transition. If you used ply you could just put a screw eye into it for shock cord mounting. Alternately, if you do not have ply on hand, cut three disks out of thick balsa. stack them and turn the grain in the middle piece perpendicular to the top and bottom piece. Epoxy them together with 30 minute epoxy and clamp them down while it dries. Instant lite plywood. I might use a eye bolt with a washer for shock cord mount on balsa ply.

I've attached a picture of a similar rocket that I have built which was designed to carry an egg but the egg didn't fit!

As for the launch lugs I have used two, one on the cargo bay and the second is on the fin at the bottom with a piece of balsa propping it out which is also glued against the fin. I've never flown this rocket so I don't know how this will hold up but it seems pretty strong, I will try and attach a picture of the lower launch lug later.

HTH

Sorry, I just looked at the picture you attached Tom and it looks like my suggestion wouldn't really work on your rocket. Very nice design though.

I already put the Bottom Launch lug on a peice of balsa between the fins. My question is that top lug will be on the cargo bay. Can this be done with the cargo bay just being friction fit to the bottom?

Tom

Lot going on there :)

Having a "cargo bay" (eg: Payload section) can be fun for lofting payloads. TO do this you will have to plug that hole. The suggestions using ply or layered balsa will work fine. Another idea would be to plug the hole with a mixture of epoxy and tissue, to fill the hole. You can even set your screweye into this as it sets.

You *can* put a launch lug on the payload section, in addition to one on the fin, but this can cause problems. As the rocket nears the top of the launch rod it will suddenly find itself with only the lower launch lug on the rod. This could result in wild "tip off" should there be any breeze or you're using a low "initial thrust" motor. (Graduate of the "School of hard knocks" speaking, here... :D )

I would recommend that you have either two launch lugs (one near the bottom and one nearer the Center of Gravity), on standoffs (to clear the payload section) or one LONG launch lug located at the Center of Gravity (again, on a stand off).

what does this model fly on?

Back