Help with building Homemade Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skavac

Reaction score
Hi guys,I'm posting here because I am having problems with flying my own rocket. So here's the story

My first rocket was made out of PVC pipe with wooden covers and nozzle glued with wood glue and a lot of tape(yes, I know how extremely stupid this is, my first rocket, I had no experience or research before doing this).

So I filled it up with homemade black powder(This powder isn't milled) and light it up. It blew up on the pad.

Then I finally did research.

The second rocket came. This one is a lot smaller, while using concrete as the covers and nozzle, which I made using a tapered ram. Filled it up with the same black powder and went to the pad. This time, it ignited, for once I had hoped that it would actually fly. Then, it stuttered and blew up.

I hadn't gave up yet so I made my third one. It was the same like the second one except I used a bentonite nozzle and putty to cover the top. Loaded it with black powder similar to the previous ones and went for it. This time, it burns well, but didn't fly. And blew up again.

This left me with 3 blown up wreckage.

Just yesterday, I made my fourth rocket. This time, it had a bentonite nozzle and end plug. The blackpowder has the same 75/10/15 KNO3, Sulfur, Charcoal mix. But, it was ball milled for two hours ( I don't know if it is enough though). Used the same PVC pipe and tried to fly it. This time, it started out smoothly. Then it stutters, and went on again, stuttered a couple of times but miraculously it didn't blew up. It ran fine but all my rockets wont fly.

Do you guys have any tips for me on how to make my fifth rocket finally take to the sky?
Any tips and advices will be welcome, please post a reply if something isn't clear or needs to be explained.

P.S: I am going to try out a sugar rocket instead of black powder because some sites say that sugar rockets offer more power which I think is what I need.
Also, what is the optimum nozzle size for 1/4th inch diameter PVC rockets.

Any help will be appriciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back