Have your rocket, and EAT it too

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffgeraci

Reaction score
Yes, you heard right- this just has to be done. This will be the most "delicous" rocket I have made, and now I've forced my wife into this hobby, because she doesn't trust me with her Kitchenaid mixer. Here's the first photo showing some of the components.

bake.jpg

An actually edible rocket would be quite cool. Pasta composites or something?

I just completed the gingerbread fins. I must say, gingerbread cuts quite well on an 88 tooth miter saw, but sanding it with 60-grit sandpaper is something to be desired. The airframe will be constructed of.... wait, I don't want to give that away just yet, but rest assured you can eat it. Stay tuned!

If you're gonna make an edible rocket, might as well go all the way and make it an HPR. This sucker's gonna be at least 30" long, it'll have a 29mm MMT and it's gonna fly on an aerotech H97J.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

By the way... I originally planned to make this rocket the new TRF logo, but I really don't care for retro looking rockets, and besides that, I didn't make enough gingerbread! You can see my pencil outlineon the gingerbread where I sketched the fins for the logo rocket.

How strong are those fins?

Also, the black smoke from the H97 will probably leave a bad taste: you should use an H128 or something cleaner like that, as long as it won't shred (crumble?).

Yea I can see a "Culinary Shield" installed for back blast..especially for sparky motors!:hot:

Oh...you are not going to do a rolled Ice Cream Cone airframe are you?! It would be 3 times stronger than a wrapped waffle cone airframe.
What are you going to do for a clear coat or edible sealant for the fins? egg whites? rice starch? try crumbled shredded wheat for fillet reinforcement.:)
Melted sugar epoxy like a ginger bread house!
HELL! Might as well launch her on a EX sugar motor!

Last edited:
HELL! Might as well launch her on a EX sugar motor!
Or you could just stick a banana up the back end and light it. (Just kidding) . :) :tongue:
I will be very impressed if you are actually willing to eat it after flying it. Do you plan on launching in a cow field? ;)

Or you could just stick a banana up the back end and light it. (Just kidding) . :) :tongue:
I will be very impressed if you are actually willing to eat it after flying it. Do you plan on launching in a cow field? ;)

Ok, it's on... I'll eat some of it on landing. The dust from the playa lands in all the food we eat there anyway.

Also, the fillets will be made of royal icing, but the fruit roll-up parachute is a no-go because even with powdered sugar to keep it from sticking, the nature of the material prevents it from opening in the wind. And a wafflecone MMT won't suffice for an HPR (it's not safe enough for me to try it). Therefore, I've accepted that the chute and MMT will be the only non-edible parts. Wll post my progress this week

Jeff, how are you going to attach it to a launch rod? And are you sure any icing can stand up to 22 pounds of thrust?

And you have to let me RSO THIS!!!

Don't give it the test where you stand on the fincan, though... Maybe a nutcracker?

Back at your tent,break it up and serve pieces with a scoop of ice cream.
Ive heard of these Cali launches where they brought more food than rockets! If you left the field after the range closed you lost out big time!

Jeff, how are you going to attach it to a launch rod? And are you sure any icing can stand up to 22 pounds of thrust?

And you have to let me RSO THIS!!!

You mean "LSO"?? Wouldn't have it any other way, of course you can. A far as the icing holding up........ same thing goes for ALL my rockets: we'll just have to see! Launch rod is undecided- rigatoni may be too brittle so I might try stale red vines??? Lookin forward to seeing you guys next month, and I really want to hear about what you and Bryce have been doing with experimental fuels.

I really want to see how this turns out.

This project brings a whole new meaning to building a rocket from "scratch". :D

(I hope it turn out batter ... err... I mean ... BETTER than that bacon rocket linked to above...)

OK, time to construct the airframe. I'll post a progress picture probably tonight.

rice.jpg

Rice crispy treat airframe in progress..... the extra marshmallows really increase adhesion properties. It's getting heavier, so good thing I'm using a 38mm MMT!!!

rice2.jpg

My wife wanted to know if the 5 second rule applies?

Sandy.

The airframe is done after 3 batches of rice crispy treat mix. It would have taken only 2, but I had forgotten how good that stuff is!!!!

PS: 5 second rule??? The only food rule I have is this: If something in my fridge eats something else, then I won't touch it... otherwise, it's fair game. Depending on how far I have to walk to recover this rocket, maybe a 5 day rule is in order. Actually, unless it falls in pooh, I'll eat it.

completed airframe.jpg

A colorful variation would be to use "Fruity Pebbles"
Forget Cocoa Puffs for obvious reasons...:wink:

If it's not strong enough, you can wrap it in paper-mache using edible rice paper.

More progress... I think the m&m "lights" will make it go faster. Check out the royal icing fin fillets- strong as rocks!!! I'm a member of R.O.C., so I wrote that on the airframe. Surprisingly, it's not too stale, I just took a bite out of the top (it needed to be trimmed anyway), and damn it's good.

candy1.jpg candy2.jpg candy3.jpg

You mean "LSO"?? Wouldn't have it any other way, of course you can. A far as the icing holding up........ same thing goes for ALL my rockets: we'll just have to see! Launch rod is undecided- rigatoni may be too brittle so I might try stale red vines??? Lookin forward to seeing you guys next month, and I really want to hear about what you and Bryce have been doing with experimental fuels.

Nope, I'm signing for range safety for a few rounds, it's always fun to see the rockets people bring up. One guy used spray glue to hold a fin on, which doesn't really work.

Still, how are you going to attach it to the launch rod :)

Nope, I'm signing for range safety for a few rounds, it's always fun to see the rockets people bring up. One guy used spray glue to hold a fin on, which doesn't really work.

Still, how are you going to attach it to the launch rod :)

Spray adhesive? You're kidding right? Why didn't he just use the adhesive strip from a 3m post-it??

Attach to launch rod: I intended to dry out some licorice, but it split and ddn't seem too durable. Pixie stix were too flimsy. I wound up forming launch lugs from royal icing. I just need to attach the second one (first one is done).

OK, if you wanna rso this one, we have to make a deal: If the flight goes "aglee", then I'll take a bite and eat it. But id the flight goes well and the rocket is recovered in good enough condition to launch again, then YOU have to eat one bite. Deal???????????????????????

Youare going to play Weird Al's version of "Beat it" as an intro. before countdown! Hmmm?

VERY cool concept! :cool: Now that's what I call thinking outside of the cereal box.

Got the nose cone started. I reinforced the waffle cone on the inside with a firm layer of royal icing. I mounted a section of BT-55 inside the cone using yet more royal icing, and I built up the shoulder with fiberglass tape and masking tape. I'll mount the kevlar cord inside the shoulder by gluing it between the shoulder and a coupler. I'll do the same to mount the shock cord to the airframe.

des1.jpg des2.jpg des3.jpg des4.jpg

Back