Custom Rockets Bullet Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A recurring theme. I have not done much since losing my wife of 27 years in April 2023. But as I take a little white pill for depression, I find at least a bit of motivation

This kit is pretty special to me anyway. It was bought during the first year we were together. 1997. Probably in a hobby shop near Mile Square Park in Costa Mesa CA.
Also I was a BAR. Having been on hiatus from rocketry since the early 70's. I knew of Estes and Centuri and even FSI back then. But had never heard of Custom. So it was a treat to get kits from someone other than Estes.
I bought the Bullet, an Engage, an Equinox, a Metra, and a Dynamic Carrier

I built and still fly the DC, and Engage (tho the upper section of the Engage was replaced.

So here we are 26 years later. A widower. I open a box of rockets packed away years ago in storage, going through our stuff 😭😭😭, and I find this kit The Bullet. (Along with a bunch I have put on sale).

Bullet-1.JPG

I built the motor mount stock.
The only change is how I attached three times the length of elastic they gave me. I'll be covered in heat shrink tubing on the inside of the body tube.

I left the motor clip stock. I figure it'll go high enough on a D12 or an AeroTech 24/40 reload. No need for an E9 or E12. Beside I am having more and more trouble following high flights.

Bullet-3.JPG

Bullet-4.JPG

Bullet-5.JPG

A recurring theme. I have not done much since losing my wife of 27 years in April 2023. But as I take a little white pill for depression, I find at least a bit of motivation

This kit is pretty special to me anyway. It was bought during the first year we were together. 1997. Probably in a hobby shop near Mile Square Park in Costa Mesa CA.
Also I was a BAR. Having been on hiatus from rocketry since the early 70's. I knew of Estes and Centuri and even FSI back then. But had never heard of Custom. So it was a treat to get kits from someone other than Estes.
I bought the Bullet, an Engage, an Equinox, a Metra, and a Dynamic Carrier

I built and still fly the DC, and Engage (tho the upper section of the Engage was replaced.

So here we are 26 years later. A widower. I open a box of rockets packed away years ago in storage, going through our stuff 😭😭😭, and I find this kit The Bullet. (Along with a bunch I have put on sale).

View attachment 607396
I am so sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I remember losing my mother and how hard it was. It took a little while to find joy in anything but eventually things started looking up.

As for the Bullet. It's great kit and your build looks great. I love to see old vintage kits being built and used.

I build one back when they were new and flew it a few times. It really is a great flier. A few years back I built an upscale version here on the forums.

Last edited:
Jeff,

Did you launch at Mile Square Park before they turned it into golf courses? I had to bug my dad to bring me there to launch when I was little when we lived in Torrance.

Yes - nice when it lasted. BTW, sorry for your loss.

Am also a BAR. Started in late 70s to mid 80s. Stopped because of college, girls and work. Got married, had kids. One day my older boy finds my stash of old rockets about 15 years ago and rekindled the fire. Been going strong (and through my wallet) ever since even though my kids didn't catch on.

But I'm off topic....

So I think this is a wrap.

I placed (and edited) the decals as I saw fit (No U.S. I cut them out, or used them as a 'camera target' - But that would be a different thread with nothing but discord ). I think the gold vinyl, silver vinyl, and the decals turned out okay. I won't clear coat. This, well all, of my rockets are meant to fly. And if I ever have a car again? Who knows they just might!

Side
IMG_3552 2.JPG

IMG_3541.JPG

Yours truly outside putting decals on in the wind... But just feels better to be out than in the shop

IMG_3546.jpg

Next images will, I hope, be launch images!

I am very sorry to hear of your loss, and wish for you to find happiness thru this fun hobby. I just picked one of these up, so enjoyed looking at your build. Great colors, and hope you get to fly it.

Glad you found a little motivation, I understand how tough D can be. I find building rockets, and flying them with friends is good therepy. Hang in there, and keep posting.

Back