Hate Estes igniters what can I do

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did 4-H Aerospace for 16 years. Hands down, its the kids. They always need a training session on motor insertion and igniter prep to start the launch.

I had a bunch of estes ignites with the white tips. I was not happy with the success or lack of that I was experiencing. I tried the tips on the thread of a BP and fabri-tac dip. It works. Nice quality ignition.

I had a bunch of estes ignites with the white tips. I was not happy with the success or lack of that I was experiencing. I tried the tips on the thread of a BP and fabri-tac dip. It works. Nice quality ignition.

I also saw that tip, did the recommended procedure of dissolving the igniter ends in water, wiped off the cornstarch (?) to reveal the nice and shiny bridge wire. Next step is to coat it with a pyrogen and I'm good to go. Great tip!

Pyrogen is the key but can't go any further in the open forum. Suffice it to say there are some legal commercial sources out there and my mere mention of that shouldn't lead to my chastisement Kurt

Pyrogen is the key but can't go any further in the open forum. Suffice it to say there are some legal commercial sources out there and my mere mention of that shouldn't lead to my chastisement Kurt

Sure, this subject can be pursued off the forum but it really doesn't take much grey matter to figure it out. Estes does not (any longer) put pyrogens in their "starter" igniters. That can be fixed. Duckduckgo IS your friend, in this matter. :)

I do lots of reading, here and elsewhere. This technique is known.

Last edited:
Back