Greetings from Lehigh Valley, PA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be able to host a meetup of interested rocketeers at Northampton Community College, if we had some way of getting the word to interested people. I teach in their Fab Lab (at the south Bethlehem campus), which is one of the largest public maker spaces in the country. We have a number of labs/shops including woodworking, lasers, machining, plastics, electronics, and 3d printing — a wonderland for modelers. Unfortunately the college itself doesn’t have any real launch space, except they do a summer program for kids where they launch some A rockets at main campus. In any case, it could be productive to get a conversation going and maybe turn up some ideas for launch sites or other activities. PM me or post here if you want to explore ideas, or if you’d like a tour of our facility. — Kevin

I am heading today to MDRA in Maryland (higgs field)..it is a 2 hour ride but a nice field. I do wish there was an accesible field in the Lehigh valley to do high power (and by extension low power) Anyway in the future if there is anyone local wanting a ride,I can provide.

For LPR, another avenue to explore is churches. When my son went through cub scouts, I started a program to get the kids their rocketry badge (I think it was called space exploration?), which culminated in a pack launch. Several of the leaders were members of a local church (St. Joes in Limeport) and we used the baseball field in back of the church for the launch. Even the priest used to build one and participate. The biggest things we flew at that field were Big Berthas on C motors. Something to consider if anyone has any connections.

Randy

Hello, and welcome to the forum and rocketry..
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread before, I always like to say a warm welcome to newcomers..
There are so many here that are Born again rocketeers...
You'll just fit right in..
I think there are two fields that'd be close enough to you that wouldn't be too much of a drive..
Check--
METRA..

https://metrarocketclub.org/
And check--
URRG..

https://urrg.us/
You're right, you found GSSS,
But I think since they're further south, it'd be a longer drive..
I'm not sure but I think METRA would be the closest for you..

Happy flying..

Teddy

Still, I’d like to find some “legal anytime” locations to go with a few people, not just organized events.

Agreed, that'd be ideal. When I was a kid, my dad was a science teacher with a lot of local school district and 4-H connections. It made finding a place to launch a heck of a lot easier :)

Agreed, that'd be ideal. When I was a kid, my dad was a science teacher with a lot of local school district and 4-H connections. It made finding a place to launch a heck of a lot easier :)
A few PARA members have contacted me, so over the next couple of months we'll be exploring the NCC Fab Lab angle and looking at potential meet-ups, workshops, and other local events. Maybe we could even look at forming a PARA satellite group here. Apparently there are a number of LV members in PARA.

I wish we could find a place to fly in the Lehigh Valley area. Even a mid power field would be better than nothing. We need someone with a connection to a land owner. I know one person with property that they rent to farmers. I can check with them.

As an alum, I've often thought about approaching Lehigh U. about the large field near Stabler arena but that could really be a can of worms, especially since all the profs and people that I knew there are gone by now.

Randy
Coopersburg
Im from Lebanon originally and still have family in the area. I have a couple farms I fly off of sometimes when I am down there in the Myerstown area, one of which I have a HP waiver on. I am able to fly as long as the crops arent up, but at least its something. I honestly just went knocking on doors to see if they would mind if I pulled off the road along one of their fields to setup. A couple of the farms had kids and they loved it (i also may have dragged my kids along when knocking on doors as part of my sales pitch…)

***and I just realized I revived a thread from December***

Back