Goonie Variant, gooney weapons of WWII?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRod Lincoln

Reaction score
Goonie Variant, gooney weapons of WWII?

Well, I never liked Gonnies before. Then I saw those original sketches and they dragged me in!

I also need an excuse to do some building, some rocket therapy if you will.
So I brought a hand full of parts to my "undisclosed location" and got to it. Because I am not at home I have no proper tools and the paint is craft stuff brushed on. But I can't let that stop me.

I call this Eddie's Revenge. A rocket powered interceptor ready to tangle with German Bombers in the air over Britain.

Eddie's Revenge is a Zoom Broom / Gee Bee / I-16....Goonie. I first built it with the profile cockpit and tail combo, but I hated the look. Trimmed a respectable tail and folded up a card stock canopy. I Also added a tail cone shroud to look more like a rocket motor within the airframe.

I used a 7.5inch body tube (BT60) so this would be a Goonie of the Baby Bertha type. The nose cone is Balsa, not certain which part# ? I drilled the end of the balsa cone and added .50 once nose weight. I plan on standard 18mm motors. This nose weight moves the loaded CG to 4.5 inches from the bottom of the body tube. It should work.

In the photo the "nose wheel" is just for photos. The wheel skirt-fins I would like to look like spoke bicycle wheels. But I have not figured that out yet so they have some printed wheel shapes glued to one fin. Just sort of mocked up until at least I get to test fly it.

Paint job is by brush and Sharpie. Hey that's what I have on hand right now.

I hope to get a flight in on Thursday. Now I just have to find a good field.....
:D

eddyforweb1.jpg

eddyforweb2.jpg

I like it, you did a great job.
And the subject (possible WWII goonie weapons) is a brilliant one that could lead to all sorts of interesting designs. (Hmmm......Goon-163?)
I think you're right, the 3-D effect of your built-up canopy looks better than a simple profile.
Are you sure you needed the nose weight? The basic Baby B doesn't use it and it flies fine....looks like you have (at least) as much fin area on the back end...well, let us know if your design is stable and how the flight tests work out.
Why not just go ahead and add a nose landing gear permanently? Maybe grab an old CR5-20 paper ring (one of those 1/8th thick ones, if you have one) and paint it black for the tire, and glue it on under the nose of the rocket?

Soon I shall burn a whole in the skys over Germany and in the fleets of B17s with my Goonie 163 Swindish KOMET.

Awesome!

Have you named it yet? How about some British decals. And... well it looks like a Spitfire, so how about The Spitoon?

The goonier the better!!

I cannot wait to hear how the flight went.

Ph

Spitoon... Brilliant!

The Spitoon, needs some Spitfire decals, certainly. I was hoping to visit a local hobby shop in the near future.

I added the nose weight just to keep it safe, and me happy. Now might be a goo time for those who have the info to post CP/CG mesurements for thier goonies?

The Story of the Spitoon:
P.O'd by the fact that an errant German bomb struck his backyard workshop. Amateur Rocketeer, Eddie Tinkham (or "Tinker" as he is known at the Pub) vowed revenge. Revenge, not so much for patriotic zeal, or defense of his homeland, but for the fact that they dare hit his beloved workshop!
So it was off to the local scrap yard to scrounge for supplies. No easy feat to get all that good scrap metal, but our hero was determined.

Piecing together bits of this and that, and grabbing parts off crashed aircraft, Tinker cobbled together his strange little craft.
Not much is know of the service history of this one man AirForce. But he was seen on several flights harrassing German Bombers at breakneck speeds. The German air crews had a nick-name for Tinker. It was something along the lines of "Verrückter Raketenbastard"!:D

EDDY ACE.jpg

Interesting...

There has been some historical research into this previously unknown participant in WW2. Eddie was actually an American immigrant in Britain, which is why he used an American paint scheme rather than the British one. The spittoon, formerly a common sight in US saloons, was becoming regarded as unhygienic, so Eddie had got hold of a whole shipment of them. The fighter was thus named both for the famous British aircraft and for its own American origins.

The Germans were sufficiently impressed by the design that, when the tables were turned and they became the target of sustained Allied bombing, they developed their own version. (Lucky94, if you're going to build a German Goonie, this has to be it. It was even designed to have an ejecting nose cone. It's just asking to be goonified!)

It gives me an idea. But I was more going to base mine one the Bach Rocket Plane. I could do a downscale, and a gooie. But only time and the parts will tell.

Before the war began, mad scientist and ace of fame Hans Dahncka came up with so called "BRILLIANT" designs that he said would win the war in a day. What he didn't tell them is that they were so dangerous, so goonie, that only he himself could fly them. He gave those plans as sabatouge and traded his krut uniform for an American. My great-grandfather died almost 50 years ago and I just know came into possision of some of the gooniest things I have seen. I am working in a top secert lab and will try to alert you when I can.

Note,( part of this is true. Great Grandfather was offered high air force command in the Luftwaffe and went underground and eventually flew for America)

Interesting...

There has been some historical research into this previously unknown participant in WW2. Eddie was actually an American immigrant in Britain, which is why he used an American paint scheme rather than the British one. The spittoon, formerly a common sight in US saloons, was becoming regarded as unhygienic, so Eddie had got hold of a whole shipment of them. The fighter was thus named both for the famous British aircraft and for its own American origins.

The Germans were sufficiently impressed by the design that, when the tables were turned and they became the target of sustained Allied bombing, they developed their own version. (Lucky94, if you're going to build a German Goonie, this has to be it. It was even designed to have an ejecting nose cone. It's just asking to be goonified!)

That explains a lot about Grandpa Evil Eddie!

I think this is totally sweet! The craft paint and markers and printed wheel stickers are part of the "goony charm." This one is definitely worth being proud of! :D

Very NICE! I just hope it did not find a target of value...

It was fun, but I didn't expect quite that horizontal a flight, or for it to go quite that far! Of course, I thought it was stable because I had swing tested it. :rolleyes:

It was fun, but I didn't expect quite that horizontal a flight, or for it to go quite that far! Of course, I thought it was stable because I had swing tested it. :rolleyes:
Add more nose weight.

My A9 did exactly the same thing - passed swing tests flawlessly, then went horizontal on its first flight. I added more nose weight, putting its CG when fully loaded about half way up the body tube. Since then, it has flown perfectly in all sorts of weather.

I flew my Saki this week and it went up straight as an arrow. I believe in these 'winged' versions the the CG should be even with or ahead of the wings.My CG was just in front of the wings. Nose weight is the key. One other thing I noticed that on recovery the rocket tried to glide beneath the chute.
goonie-newsmall.jpg

Add more nose weight.

My A9 did exactly the same thing - passed swing tests flawlessly, then went horizontal on its first flight. I added more nose weight, putting its CG when fully loaded about half way up the body tube. Since then, it has flown perfectly in all sorts of weather.

After the destruction on the last flight, I'm going to work on a new version over our summer (November-February) with a few changes. One of which will be more nose weight, the other is to bring the wings further back and take out the dihedral. Another long term work in progress. :)

Well, the Spitoon performed abolutely perfectly. I hope to have some video up on the web later today or tommorrow.

But... heres the thing. On it's third flight it caught an amazing thermal.

And the rest is history. I tried for an hour this morning to get it down, no luck.

Time to start a Spitoon Mark II.:D

spitpad.jpg

What happened in the first launch? Looks like a cato, and then it sounds like you got hit with the motor casing or something...

jj94 "What happened in the first launch? Looks like a cato, and then it sounds like you got hit with the motor casing or something... "

Yup Cato... the sound on that video clip was sanitized for your protection.

I've had a bunch of 13mm A10-3t 's go caboom in the last few months. Going to start a new thread on that one. Got file the Mess reports Had two go up on Saturday got video of both.:D

Great video Hot Rod! Glad you stopped the vid at tje 'pop' for ejection on the 3rd flight..I would have :cry: on that one...Can't wait to see MK-II to make it's debut!;)

I took video of the whole flight...thermaling right into the trees! Had to cut that part... we want to keep things at least PG-13 right.:surprised:

I used the video to find it in the woods yesterday, just wayyy to far up the tree to get down. And at my advanced wieght I'm not doing any climbing.

More video on the way (seperate thread) Anatomy of a cato!

jj94 "What happened in the first launch? Looks like a cato, and then it sounds like you got hit with the motor casing or something... "

Yup Cato... the sound on that video clip was sanitized for your protection.

I've had a bunch of 13mm A10-3t 's go caboom in the last few months. Going to start a new thread on that one. Got file the Mess reports Had two go up on Saturday got video of both.:D

Hot Rod:
have all 4 of your A10-3t Catos been the same Date code motors? Could you please Post the date code or codes of these motors. do I take it from the message that you did file mess reports with S&T?
Let's get the word out, if it looks like a bad batch of A10's.

Back