Generic E2X (maybe Wizards - we’ll see) bulk pack on sale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all of you that got your Generics and plan to do a group build with them, a quick note:

I’m making the two knife cuts beforehand, to eliminate the need for a knife at the group build. One of the cuts is popping out the plastic in the nose cone eyelet. Usually that’s easy, right? Score it and it pops out. But most of the cones I got in this kit have an excess build-up of plastic where it should be thin. See the first pic, there’s a pool of plastic at the base. This has led to a difficult cut where I sometimes took a chunk out of the nose cone (second pic). I imagine this could get pretty hard for some of your kids and a little dangerous. Just wanted you to be aware if you planned on having them make the cut - you should check the nose cone first.

I had one like that in my first box. I guess I should get to inspecting the second box...

Wow, I've never seen an Alpha/Generic nose cone with that much excess plastic pooled near the loop before. I just checked several examples (including the whole box of Generics I got from Walmart - production date 6/28/19) and didn't see that in any of them.
I’d say it was about 8 or 9 of them. My bulk pack has production date 11/27/20.

Wow, you ordered it last night and got it the next day?
Do you live next to an Amazon distribution facility?
Ordered mine yesterday, ETA tomorrow but I'll be really surprised if it gets here then.
Yes, from Walmart. Not an Amazon person nor Prime. They screwed up a few orders in the past so now we avoid them.

Walmart with free shipping in less than a day. I followed the tracking and it came from a city about 20 miles from us.

Wow - as we have discovered, that's the Generic E2X barcode. So.....whoever did the artwork for that new style bulk box forgot to circle back and put the right bar code in for all the other models....after, I would hypothesize, using the Generic E2X as the template for the style. I will steal this picture and follow up my note of yesterday to Estes Customer Service with more info using it.

Just wow!

For completeness, could you tell me what the production date is? I can't quite pull it out of that image.....not that it matters, really.

Wow - as we have discovered, that's the Generic E2X barcode. So.....whoever did the artwork for that new style bulk box forgot to circle back and put the right bar code in for all the other models....after, I would hypothesize, using the Generic E2X as the template for the style. I will steal this picture and follow up my note of yesterday to Estes Customer Service with more info using it.

Just wow!

For completeness, could you tell me what the production date is? I can't quite pull it out of that image.....not that it matters, really.
Says 05/06/21

Gee, if I needed more Alpha IIIs I'd try to order Generic E2Xs from Walmart again to see if I got some mismarks like this. But I still have several kits on hand from a much older bulk box so it would be silly for me to do that.

This also pretty much proves that the issue isn't Amazon at all...even though I was one of many who was jumping on them a few days ago over this.

Gee, if I needed more Alpha IIIs I'd try to order Generic E2Xs from Walmart again to see if I got some mismarks like this. But I still have several kits on hand from a much older bulk box so it would be silly for me to do that.

This also pretty much proves that the issue isn't Amazon at all...even though I was one of many who was jumping on them a few days ago over this.
I'm tempted, but I may get the Wizards....o_O

Two more Wizard bulk packs arrived this morning.

Return has been processed, and I'll drop them off at the UPS store tomorrow. That will be 8 wizard bulk packs I've returned to Amazon.

Replacements are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I expect they'll be heading back to to Amazon via the UPS store on Tuesday.

I'm going to put my Alpha III bulk pack on the for sale forum shortly. I would have rather received the generic EX2's and not deal with returns, packaging, post office, credit with Walmart.

What's the LOA of the EX2? I need to find a box to pack the completed rockets (plus a few engines). I'm thinking of giving away a B4-4 motor with each rocket.

Two more Wizard bulk packs arrived this morning.
[...]
Replacements are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
Two E2X Generic bulk packs arrived from Amazon this afternoon! I had to return eight Wizard bulk packs to get them. I don't really know what I'm going to do with them...

Interestingly, the last two Wizard bulk pack boxes I returned had stickers over the erroneous UPC barcodes that Estes prints on the boxes. I'm wondering if that means these had previously been returned? For all I know, I could have returned the exact same box of Wizards more than once. It would have been interesting if we had all been taking a sharpie and putting small marks on the boxes before returning them so we can see how many times they re-ship the same item. You can't really blame Amazon: the UPC code on the box matched the UPC number that the material handling system was told to ship. When it gets returned: the box is obviously unopened, so you scan the UPC code and put it back into stock. Rinse, repeat.

wizard.jpg

Last edited:
That is interesting. What style box was the Generics you received in - the older mostly blue one or this Estes Education type?

I put one of the Generics from my box together last Saturday night and put 8 flights on it yesterday on everything from 1/2A6-2 (63 feet) to C12-6FJ (982 feet). I love how straight it flies and with no roll at all. So many Alpha III fin cans arrive bent and the model flies accordingly. This one works very nicely.

Anyone ever try cutting down the fins to make them Trapezoidal? I sanded quite a bit on the top and bottom edges of my Mongoose kits since they were had square edges and were thick.

Anyone ever try cutting down the fins to make them Trapezoidal? I sanded quite a bit on the top and bottom edges of my Mongoose kits since they were had square edges and were thick.
Might be a bit flimsy, but clipping the corners or rounding the end probably wouldn't hurt stability.

Back