Generic E2X (maybe Wizards - we’ll see) bulk pack on sale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecondRow

Reaction score
I’m planning a rocket build and launch for my son’s Cub Scout den. I found a 12-pack of the Estes Generic E2X for $42. Cheaper than AC supply. Here’s the link if anyone is currently looking. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009EZPS5O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_8JFGNGTZW16DQBM6PPD9

It’s a decent build for a kid’s first time. It’s not RTF. It uses wood glue, not plastic cement. Minimal use of the hobby knife for cutting the engine hook slit and poking the plastic out of the nose cone. And it allows them some creativity with finishing.

Also, hobby lobby has the bulk 24-pack of A8-3s for $40 on its website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips, refilled my Cub Scout pile.

I find with a streamer this hits the sweet spot for one-day small-field build-and-fly.

Last edited:
Let's see if they actually send me Generic E2Xs this time. I tried to order this 3 times before and got Wizards every time.
Thanks for the heads up. Wizards would not be ideal for these kids or the field, but I could make do if necessary. The launch isn’t until April, so I can send these back, also. The pack is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I get.

Ordered. Wonder how it will fly with an E-12-6 Estes engine ? That would be fun.

Last edited:
I just ordered a box as well, expected delivery tomorrow. I sent out a blast to the Scout leaders on the BEMRC mailing list about the deal, then just sent a second one warning them that Wizards have been received in the past. We shall see what happens, I guess.

Even for Wizards, that's not a bad deal, but for first-timers, Wizards aren't nearly as good a choice.

You can always return the wizards if that's what you get. BT-20 is just too small for me. My son's generic E2X has been great; I plan on making a couple mongoose clones out of this box.

Even for Wizards, that's not a bad deal, but for first-timers, Wizards aren't nearly as good a choice.

Agreed. The more thought I give this, the less I want to deal with Wizards and first time flyers. If Wizards show up, I’ll just return them and order the Generics from AC Supply.

Ordered. Wonder how it will fly with an E-12-6 Estes engine ? That would be fun.
I wouldn’t recommend it. You’d have to forgo installation of the motor mount, and you’d need a lot of nose weight, otherwise it’s sure to be unstable. The motor weighs almost twice as much as the unloaded rocket.

Of course, if Wizards show up instead, you won’t be able to fly the E at all, since it doesn’t fit.

Let's see if they actually send me Generic E2Xs this time. I tried to order this 3 times before and got Wizards every time.
I ordered 2 of that item in September, and I got 2 boxes of Wizards also. I returned them and ordered from AC Supply instead.

You'll never get it back. :)

In October I did a group build/launch of E2X generics with a girl scout troop (along with a few scout siblings and friends). One of the kids really wanted to launch his with a C6-5. I told him there was a pretty good chance it we'd never find it, but he insisted he wanted to anyway. OpenRocket predicted 1200ft on a C6-5. I lost sight of it completely, but after the chute opened the kids spotted it. There was only a light breeze, and some of the kids chased it down about 1/4 mile from the pad. Just a little more breeze and it would have been gone...

I just ordered 2. The $42 price is a steal. They're $130 at Estes and $87 at ACSupply. I'm sure I'll fine somebody to hand them out to...

In case anybody is interested, last fall I re-wrote the E2X-generic instructions to use in a group build where I had pre-marked and pre-cut the tubes, added a kevlar string around the green adapter ring instead of the tri-fold mount, and prepped a few other things to try to do a single-session build in 1-1/2 hours. The instructions along with a description of the pre-build prep are in this posting:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...s-with-a-girl-scout-troop.168463/post-2195731

In the trial run of the build, I had the kids wrap the kevlar around the adapter ring and tape it. That didn't go well and took forever. For the full-scale build I prepped the adapter ring with the kevlar string already taped on (and an arrow drawn on the ring). The trial run was via Zoom, which made it far worse. In person, maybe wrapping the string around the adapter ring might have been OK. I've attached the instruction page (removed from the final version of the instructions) showing how to wrap the kevlar around the adapter ring.

If I do it again, I might just do kevlar with a tri-fold mount. [Though I also find installing tri-fold mounts to be a high-risk operation for young first time builders].

Attachments

• x06-prepare-adapter.pdf
    23.6 KB · Views: 14
NB: If you do a group build like this, I highly recommend having two types of glue. Something like TB-III for use when "sliding part A into part B" and something like TB-quick-and-thick for "sticking part A on the side of part B".

In case anybody is interested, last fall I re-wrote the E2X-generic instructions to use in a group build where I had pre-marked and pre-cut the tubes, added a kevlar string around the green adapter ring instead of the tri-fold mount, and prepped a few other things to try to do a single-session build in 1-1/2 hours. The instructions along with a description of the pre-build prep are in this posting:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...s-with-a-girl-scout-troop.168463/post-2195731

In the trial run of the build, I had the kids wrap the kevlar around the adapter ring and tape it. That didn't go well and took forever. For the full-scale build I prepped the adapter ring with the kevlar string already taped on (and an arrow drawn on the ring). The trial run was via Zoom, which made it far worse. In person, maybe wrapping the string around the adapter ring might have been OK. I've attached the instruction page (removed from the final version of the instructions) showing how to wrap the kevlar around the adapter ring.

If I do it again, I might just do kevlar with a tri-fold mount. [Though I also find installing tri-fold mounts to be a high-risk operation for young first time builders].
Thanks for the link. It’s going to be about 7 or 8 fourth grade boys. We’ll probably have an hour to build and it will be outside, so I’ll have to prepare some parts. They’ve all got their whittling chip, but I think I’m going to pre-cut the slit for the hooks and pop out the nose cone plastic, so there’s no need for a knife. Putting the snap swivels on the chutes is a great idea. I don’t want them getting frustrated trying to get the chute lines correct when our time will be limited. I think I’ll also cut the shock cord mount out. I don’t have a problem with the tri-fold mount and elastic cord.

I‘m going to let them finish their rocket at home. Do you mind if I use the last page of your instructions? The one that shows them where to paint and where not to paint?

Last edited:
I‘m going to let them finish their rocket at home. Do you mind if I use the last page of your instructions? The one that shows them where to paint and where not to paint?
Certainly. You (or anybody else) are more than welcome to use any/all of the instructions I wrote up. The originals are mostly LibreOffice .odg drawing files. If anybody wants to make any modifications, let me know and I'll make the .odg files available.

Last edited:
Hey , look what showed up in my Box! Unreal. I almost never use Amazon, but when I do I get reminded why. I didn't need 12 more rockets anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_2344.jpg
    IMG_2344.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back