General Henry "Hap" Arnold

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TALON

Reaction score
Yesterday I was invited to go out to the Mid America Flight Museum out in Mount Pleasant, Texas. Their newest addition arrived Thursday, a Douglas C-41 {DC-3 (kind of)}:cool: It was an Army Air Corp. VIP aircraft, that was used by General Hap Arnold. I was invited by a good friend Erik Johnston who is doing video work for the museum. I has included 3 of his videos in this post and the "C-41 Walk Around" video will explain what makes this a one of a kind aircraft.
Oh, I almost forgot, I got to fly in this HISTORICAL aircraft. I also included some my images and a video of the 1st aircraft to be called Air Force One, a Lockheed Constellation, "COLUMBINE II" used by President Eisenhower. It visited the Museum last month on it way to Virginia.

MPC_R_0055.jpgR_MPC_0109.jpg

[video=youtube;pbcx0Vk2EKc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcx0Vk2EKc[/video]

rMPC_0197cbcr.jpgrpMPC_0198ccr.jpg

[video=youtube;5Hvvr4l08Bk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hvvr4l08Bk[/video]
[video=youtube;MUwRd-lrW1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUwRd-lrW1s[/video]

The C-41 was the only DC-2 accepted into military service.
Pete, check out the "Walk Around" video in my original post. The owner, who also owns a C-47, researched the C-41 and pursued purchasing it for several years. The C-41 has the seating arangment of 2-isle-1, the DC-2 was 1-isle-1.

The C-41 was a one off. It was custom configured as a VIP hauler. Douglas transitioned the DC2 to the DC3 much as the railroad industry transitioned locomotives. The seating arrangement isn't the defining difference between the two. While it's difficult to tell from the video, the cabin looks a bit narrow for a DC3/C-47.

Pete, check out the "Walk Around" video in my original post. The owner, who also owns a C-47, researched the C-41 and pursued purchasing it for several years. The C-41 has the seating arangment of 2-isle-1, the DC-2 was 1-isle-1.

Pete, here are pictures of the interior of the DC-2 & DC-3 and the C-41 (my picture from Sat.). As you can see the seating configuration of the DC-2 one seat with a center isle, where as the DC-3 has 2 seats an isle and 1 seat. The C-41 has the same configuration as a DC-3. I don't think you could fit the the 3 abreast seating in a DC-2 fuselage.

dc-2.jpgdc-3.jpgMPC_0090r.jpg

Are the seat widths on the C41 the same as a DC3? And more importantly, what is the cabin width of the C41?

Pete, here are pictures of the interior of the DC-2 & DC-3 and the C-41 (my picture from Sat.). As you can see the seating configuration of the DC-2 one seat with a center isle, where as the DC-3 has 2 seats an isle and 1 seat. The C-41 has the same configuration as a DC-3. I don't think you could fit the the 3 abreast seating in a DC-2 fuselage.

View attachment 288058View attachment 288059View attachment 288060

Are the seat widths on the C41 the same as a DC3? And more importantly, what is the cabin width of the C41?
The seats on the C-41 right now or not original, and I will get the measurements of the cabin next time I go out to the Museum, or when a friend goes out there.
But honestly do you think you could fit 3 seats in a DC-2 no matter the width of the seats and or isle?

Remove the arm rests and my most recent flights - definitely! :)

The seats on the C-41 right now or not original, and I will get the measurements of the cabin next time I go out to the Museum, or when a friend goes out there.
But honestly do you think you could fit 3 seats in a DC-2 no matter the width of the seats and or isle?

Back