Folding wagon reviews?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been thinking the same thing. Possibly make a cradle that would hold a rocket to set in it.

I have this one.

Mac Sports MAC-WTCX-100 52 Inch Extra Long

It works great, and the extra length is nice. It's been a great addition to my rocketry kit.

The fabric interior helps reduce the bumps and shaking of stuff inside, but not like a real suspension. You'll need to slow down for any unevenness in the terrain.

I kinda wish there was something to latch the wheels when it's folded, they're kind of floppy when putting it in the car. They also roll when it's folded, which makes it a bit unstable leaning against the wall for storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our club uses one; no idea what brand it is. We use it to haul support equipment out and back from the pads during setup and tear down. I've never seen anyone put a rocket in it, but it could work for that.

I used a folding golf bag carrier with some bungee cords to roll my rocket out to the pad, the one I have is very light. For a long rocket you might need a handle extension.

I dont have a picture of the one we have but the only difference really is the size of the wheels in comparison to the ones linked in previous posts. Ours has approximately 8" diameter wheels that are about 3" wide, and roll across beach sand and desert conditions well enough that I would recommend it for most any terrain, otherwise the basket portion of the folding wagon we have is identical or similar to the above ones.

This is similar to ours but the wheels on this one are a tricycle front arrangement which probably makes turning with the large wheels easier, but still stable.
Amazon - Tricycle wagon

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I would need something like that for would be my 50 lbs. 12 ft. long L3 bird. I don't think a pulled wagon with the handle in front would work well. I would rather have something like the cart pushers use at Walmart. Something self-propelled with remote steering. I'm thinking that would be another "project". Maybe if it used the 40V Ryobi batteries my lawn mower uses....

I have had a folding wagon I got at Dick's Sporting Goods for a number of years now. It is essential equipment for flying at Sixty Acres since the walk from the parking areas around the periphery of the field to the middle are just long enough to be REALLY tedious if you have to make more than one trip. I can get my 2x4 foot folding table and all my equipment into the wagon, and the models get carried in the other hand in an IKEA bag. I don't generally take really large ones to this site to fly. In fact it got used for some Sixty Acres flying just today.

Looking at what's available now it looks like the loop-style handle is dominating (over the T-style as on mine), and prices have increased about 50%. And many of them don't seem to come with the cover that helps hold it closed as well as storing the folded up wagon bottom. This one at Sportsman's Warehouse is close: https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-...ehouse-essential-quad-fold-up-wagon/p/1665352

If I were going over soft ground/sand I'd be looking at one of those with the wide wheels, too. But the ~1 1/4 inch wide wheels on mine are good enough for most uses. I'm not sure how I feel about those that fold into sort of a flat package rather than a tall rectangle. It would depend on the rest of the load in the car, I guess.

Actually, Will, the one you linked to looks pretty good and is similar to the one I've been using for some time now.

I bought one years ago at Academy Sports. DARS has a flatbed metal garden-type one useful for the taking out the high power pads. I take my folding cart and it gets used for whatever will fit. Beats carrying all of the batteries, cables, etc.

Chas

You guys must have long walks. We drive a pickup out to set up our pads. I drive my car right up to the flight line. I can't imagine using a wagon to move my stuff. The back of the Explorer is packed front to back and floor to ceiling.

The small wheels don’t do great if you have to go out into row crop fields. Bigger wheel diameters are better for that.
Got a Coleman one from work rewards store. Big wheels are nice. Haven't used it for rockets yet but lots of scout activities pretty happy with it.

Lots of great options for carts in this thread! Nice!

I picked up a couple of these at Sam's club a couple years ago:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/smart-de...gon-beach-cart/prod25820600?xid=plp_product_9
When I got them, they were just blue, now it looks like you need to pick a college team... not a big deal, I guess.

For everyone out West that can drive to your rocket - we East Coast flyers are jealous! :)

I often fly at URRG and MDRA and have had numerous times where I had to drag a big heavy rocket for over a mile of farmer's fields to get it back - without the luxury of being able to use a motor vehicle.

The small wheels don’t do great if you have to go out into row crop fields. Bigger wheel diameters are better for that.

This is a BIG deal if you plan to go out into the field (literally) with your cart. If you are just pulling it around the prep/launch area, you can get by with the normal wheels. The cart I linked above has some really large/fat floaty wheels for beach sand use. Works great for dirt, mud, rocks, etc. I have dragged those carts loaded down heavily across rows and rows of corn and soy bean fields (not across the crops - respect the farmers' product!!) with little problem.

The only thing I would need something like that for would be my 50 lbs. 12 ft. long L3 bird. I don't think a pulled wagon with the handle in front would work well. I would rather have something like the cart pushers use at Walmart. Something self-propelled with remote steering. I'm thinking that would be another "project". Maybe if it used the 40V Ryobi batteries my lawn mower uses....

I hear you. I thought about it before I used these (relatively) short carts to go retrieve a big rocket. I found success by using two carts (a second cart puller helps! I am not sure what I am going to do when my kids leave for college!) and I put the booster in one cart and the payload bay/nosecone in another. At URRF, I successfully dragged a 110 pound rocket a mile over loose dirt/plowed corn fields that way and didn't kill myself. What we do is put a thick blanket/mat in the cart to protect the rocket, then ratchet strap the rocket part onto the cart. Then it won't slip around/fall out/tip the cart over while you are pulling it over rough terrain.

If I can find a longer cart with the same crazy big wheels, I would get it, but these are not too expensive and have served me well.

If I can find a longer cart with the same crazy big wheels, I would get it, but these are not too expensive and have served me well.

I hadn't thought about the carts in a long time and this thread sent me down an obsession rabbit hole this afternoon!

Just ordered 1 each of these two carts:

TIMBER RIDGE 400L Large Capacity Folding Double Decker Wagon

Sekey 48''L Collapsible Foldable Extended Wagon

I have a couple 12" rockets that end up being about 300-400 lbs on the pad - will test these out at LDRS in June to see if they can handle those rockets!

I‘m thinking about getting a folding wagon, maybe this https://a.co/d/hzIkBYE model, for ferrying stuff around the flying field. Anybody have a model that they’d like to recommend?
Happy new year,
Will
Thanks for asking this question. It's been in the back of my mind for a few years to get a cart like this so I can more easily haul pad, fire backpack, rockets, and various gear from the parking lot down into the flying field in my local park, especially now that I'm contemplating adding a tower to the mix. No doubt a good cart would come in handy at some larger launches too. Time to get off my duff and buy one!

Thanks also to all who are contributing. Lots of good suggestions to pick through in this thread.

Or a sod farm thats pretty much the same thing only much larger.
Yeah, but at the sod farm the range head isn't out in the middle of the grass like it is at Sixty Acres. There the wagon is indispensible.

No need to bring the wagon (at least for me) to the sod farm.

Good stuff, Folks, thanks!

FWIW, this just popped up in a feed:
ROAMX E-wagon: Electric Utility Wagon With Remote Control

Last edited:
Okay sports fans, I know you have been waiting for some sexy cart photos, and I am here to deliver :) !

New carts are in.

First up, the:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DHRMGP6
Comes in a nice, relatively compact package with a nice cover. Right away, you can see some big knobby wheels, nice!

PXL_20240106_033708749.jpg

Double Decker design:

PXL_20240106_034008471.jpg

Here it is with a 8" diameter AGM-33 Pike - rocket is just over 12' long and weighs about 80 pounds with no motor. I had an N3300 motor loaded into the case, so I threw that in the back (comes out to about 105 pounds without recovery gear) to see how the cart felt:
PXL_20240106_034116639.MP.jpg

The top bucket looks a little sketchy in the photo with the booster in it, but it is actually in there pretty securely. The payload bay and nosecone kind of lean out the back the way I had it, but I think I could turn it around and have the nosecone stick out the front a bit. Either way, with some padding and a couple ratchet straps, this would sit nicely in the cart. I pulled it around on the driveway and the lawn (covered with a light coat of snow) and it pulled easily.

Conclusion - not a bad choice for a big rocket!

Next up, the:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C3CBFWS3
It also comes in a nice cover and is even more compact than the double decker. This cart is just one "bucket", but it is a very big bucket and is rated for 440 pounds.

PXL_20240106_034441431.jpg

When you unfold it, it is about the size of a bathtub and you can see the really huge gnarly wheels. Here it is next to the double decker cart:

PXL_20240106_034534116.jpg

It easily fits the broken down AGM-33 in the basket:

PXL_20240106_034626669.jpg

PXL_20240106_034630195.jpg

I pulled it around on the driveway and lawn and it had no problems. I would definitely be comfortable dragging this through farm fields, with the parts ratcheted down.

Conclusion: Awesome cart.

If I could only have one of these, I would probably choose the big single bucket Sekey. But, now that I have both, I think the the double decker one is great for hauling rockets out to the pad and the big bucket one is good for recovery, so happy to have both.

Back