Flights of the Interceptor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a one piece fin...they need to be slightly 'off' to whistle.

It is a one piece fin. If anyone looks at the ORK file I attached previously, it is two pieces just to get it to look right in the simulation.

looks like a one piece fin...they need to be slightly 'off' to whistle.

It's more likely the gap is too small. My Green Dragon scratch build has a one-piece split fin (no warp, so the two fins line up), but it has a bigger gap and whistles very nicely. Not sure how much fin thickness matters, my Madcow 2.2" Phoenix has 1/8" fins and it whistles as well.

David

Done built. Without motor and appropriate nose weight, weighs 12.5 pounds.

Way too cool Tony...
That one I was drooling over for sure....
Came out great....

Teddy

I can't plan on any one thing I reminded myself of that last week end. I start out with a 4 grain and ended up with a 2 g.

That makes you a......

--gasp--

mildman!

gonna have to throw down a 6 g or g6 xl to fix that!

1450 feet, 184ish mph, 38mm J270W DMS

[video=youtube;gqOGnAzqXZE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqOGnAzqXZE[/video]

On the money Tony,,,
Great flight...
Super cool ...

Teddy

This is on my list to get built this decade... :facepalm:

Adrian

Me too...
For sure.....
I was drooling over that last winter.....
I'd love to see that thing hit the 2 mile mark......
That's going to be a gorgeous flight. .....

Teddy

Adrian, with my knees and hips right now I'm an invalid... Jeez, I might fly this thing in '16 before you ever get to it... Whadda ya say? let's speed up that build process...

Well, my kit is mostly built! Fastest I've built one (OK, not true, I got the 4" V-2 built first, 'cause that is in the MWP drag race). Now I just gotta do finishing touches and maybe Paint! I ordered decals from Sticker Shock since he reopened his Labor Day sale. :clap: :clap:
I've got a AT 75mm K560W for it's first flight, whenever that may be... We'll see...

Adrian

You're going to have some smokin flights with that for sure Adrian...
I don't know why but that rocket strikes me as a bit on the small side to have a 75 mm mount in it....
But isn't that the way it should be.....lol.....

Teddy

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442765228.858914.jpg

This Is a aero tech k-456 dark matter it went 5,456. It's a grate rocket kit. I didn't add any nose weight for this flight.

Mine was gonna fly on a k560w before MWP, but the landshark bite has me sidelined... It is mostly ready except paint... Seems I have a whole bunch of nekid rockets laying around these days...

Adrian

Flew mine on a J315R with motor deploy for a successful L2 on 17 Oct 2015. Perhaps the mildest launch yet.

May try a K695R next weekend, but will wait until I get electronics in place and tested before I go any bigger. Probably next spring, unless I decide to drive down to Vegas over the winter.

Got the paint AND decals And clear coat on my AARD98. Shock cords AND chute installed with all quick links tight.
First flight Wildman drag race on a L or M...
Well crap, the file uploader thingy is finally broke for me. Worked fine last week. Oh well, no more pics from me. Don't have flicker (because I don't want to), so I'm going cold turkey. If you wanna see the pics, they'll be on the MWP13 facebook page (another evil, but I'm already there)(faceook being the evil, not me....)

Adrian

Last edited:
Reminds me of a scale up of the Estes Heatseeker.

002158_main_2.png

Bob

That is exactly what I was thinking. Though it appears the Heatseeker is a fantasy missile. I can find no real missile that matches it. At least not yet.

Well I flew mine today on a CTI L2375WT....
Had a little over mach issue... Pulled my switch wires clean apart. Got one charge fired at apogee (13,942ft) and it came down on my huge ( :eyeroll: ) 12" drogue with no damage except the 3d printed sled shattered... Oops. Man, that motor kicked my rocket like a scalded cat... :y: Straight up and out of sight.
Now that the test flight is over with, :wink: time to fly it normal motors. Got a AT K560W for it next.

Adrian

Back