Fin "Hubs" on Tomahawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkII

Reaction score
In ROTW (4th ed.), the drawings of the fin details for the Sandia Tomahawk (p. 143) and for the upper stage of the Nike-Tomahawk (p. 161) show little conical "hubs" in the centers of the root edges of the fins. No dimensions are given for them, though. Would anyone here have that information? Also, are these in fact "hubs" as I take them to be? Thanks in advance.

MK

Since you have a scale picture, you can take the picture, and calculate the scale factor from a known mesurement, Ie the Core diameter was .75 feet, and use the scale factor you find to calculate te dimentions of the cones using proportions.

SD, a math lover :D

the few photos I've run across on the web only have fin mounting brackets (nearly the length of the root), no hubs. I suspect that the 'hubs' were a molding necessity.

Here are scans of the Tomahawk fin detail from the Nike Tomahawk scale article in the Feb 1974 Model Rocketeer

NiikeTomahawk_TomahawkFin2.jpg

NiikeTomahawk_TomahawkFin.jpg

oh I see, the 'Nike-Tomahawk' differs from the 'Sandia-tomahawk'. the sandia doesn't have hubs.

The hubs are part of the fin's pivot; the fin is connected to the pivot in between that exposed "hub".

I just so happened to have part of the Nike-Tomahawk drawings (heading toward completion, finally) with temporary dims on a fin, sans extra details.

Hopefully the final drawing set will be done within the next few months.

TomFin1.gif

The hubs are part of the fin's pivot; the fin is connected to the pivot in between that exposed "hub".

I just so happened to have part of the Nike-Tomahawk drawings (heading toward completion, finally) with temporary dims on a fin, sans extra details.

Nice work Josh!

Greg

Great info - thanks, everyone! Josh, your drawing is the only one that I have seen that shows the diameter of the hub (1.81"), which was the dimension that was giving me fits. And it also showed that they were true cones (with truncated tips) that intersected the fin root. Rocketguy, the Thiokol brochure clears up a question that arose during my research. Buzz Nau's photos of the Nike-Tomahawk show a version with an enlarged payload section. That was the first time that I had seen such a configuration, and it isn't mentioned in ROTW. The Thiokol literature confirms that this was one of the standard versions of the rocket. (Now to find a dimensioned drawing of that section...) The ModRoc article and the Alway data provide enough remaining details for my present purposes, anyway. I did already have a copy of the Quest Tomahawk plans (as a matter of fact, I have an unopened kit, too), but it didn't show the hub's diameter at the base, just its height. (Quest's molded plastic fin can for the kit is too small for me to be able to measure that feature accurately.)

As part of my project to clone every FSI kit, I'm building a clone of their 1/8-ish scale N-T. And just as I would have done if I had an authentic kit, I will be enhancing the build with scale details that weren't provided with the kit. (I'm doing that will all of my clones of their scale kits. FSI encouraged this in their instructions, if the builder wanted to go beyond a basic sport scale version.) Now I just need to figure out how to make four identical 0.2263" wide by 0.298" tall cones, and then split them evenly in half! :eek: Thanks again, I think...

MK

the Thiokol brochure clears up a question that arose during my research. Buzz Nau's photos of the Nike-Tomahawk show a version with an enlarged payload section. That was the first time that I had seen such a configuration, and it isn't mentioned in ROTW. The Thiokol literature confirms that this was one of the standard versions of the rocket. (Now to find a dimensioned drawing of that section...)
MK

I don't have any Thiokol docs w/ the dimensions other than that brochure which labels that as "12 inch payload" so I would guess the OD is 12". I don't know if the dwg is accurate enough to scale the lengths from.

I did have this neat dwg of the N-T adapter area.

View attachment NT_6A.pdf

Now I just need to figure out how to make four identical 0.2263" wide by 0.298" tall cones, and then split them evenly in half! :eek: Thanks again, I think...

MK

How about instead of splitting the cones in half, you cut a conical slot in your fin and fit the cone in there?

I don't have any Thiokol docs w/ the dimensions other than that brochure which labels that as "12 inch payload" so I would guess the OD is 12". I don't know if the dwg is accurate enough to scale the lengths from.

I did have this neat dwg of the N-T adapter area.
Oh, my! That is awesome!

MK

How about instead of splitting the cones in half, you cut a conical slot in your fin and fit the cone in there?
Yup, I could go that route, too; it probably makes the most sense. But even splitting the cones and gluing one on each side of the root edge wouldn't be all that much of a hassle. My big worry is fashioning the actual cones. At 1/8 scale, they are going to be mighty small (5.75mm in dia. by 7.55mm tall). This is where a micro lathe and a resin casting set up would come in real handy, if I had them.

MK

Actually, scratch that. I just tried turning a section of 1/4" dowel using my power drill and a sanding block, and it went better than I expected. I think that I can get the cones fashioned OK. :)

MK

And the DATA PACK will absolutely KICK AZZ ! ! !

LOL !

Dave Fitch

Back