Calling All Talented "Photo Scalers" . . . I Need More Eyes - NIKE-TOMAHAWK 18.26 IA !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(1) Nose Cone - The Nose Cone used on the D-Region Tomahawk is different. Different variants of the Nose Cone may be available. ( see below )

(2) De-Spin Module - I believe that the Luest drawing may be inaccurate and not to be "taken as gospel" ( see below for De-Spin data ). The "umbilical" on the De-Spin unit is actually an access port to the timers for Upper Stage ignition and "Yo-Yo"deploy.

(3) Interstage Recess - The rear section of the TE-416, below the Fin Mount Assembly, has a length of 2.105" ( per actual blueprint of the TE-416 ) . When fully seated, the TE-416 recesses to a depth of 2.000" ( see below ).

(4) Umbilical connection - I believe the the TE-416 Umbilical connector is the same unit used on the D-Region Tomahawk. In that case, it is a 19-pin female "Cannon" connector ( see below ).

D-REGION NOSE CONE

View attachment 600278

DE-SPIN UNIT ( NOTE - There are TWO different "style: of mounting . . . One is STRAIGHT and the other is ANGLED . . . 18.26 IA uses the STRAIGHT version ) Photo's of ANGLED style below .

View attachment 600280

View attachment 600281

View attachment 600283

View attachment 600285

NOTE : the "TAG" number MATCHES the blueprint number

View attachment 600288
REAR of TE-416 TOMAHAWK - Note 2.105" length.

View attachment 600290

UMBILICAL CONNECTOR : 19-pin, female, Cannon connector

View attachment 600292

Would someone be able to explain how this de-spin unit works, or provide a link to more information? I would be very interested to know more about this and the internal components.
Thanks

These are some modern de-spins. Today, all joints are made at an angle, and it is evident from these photos that not a single joint is made at a 90 degree angle. On my Maxus 9 blueprint I think the angles where the screws are placed are listed. I think 60 degrees. Now I don't feel like checking because the database is on another computer that is off. That other computer is not even connected to the Internet, its for serious work. This "hunk of plastic junk" I'm writing from is only for the internet.
I have so much data about rockets in my head that I'm getting lost.... It would be practical (but not humane) if I could connect another 1000 Terabytes to my head via USB

Also, regarding the port on 18.26 IE, it seems kind of illogical to me that it's actually placed upside down. It would not pull out the connector when it was removed, but it would tear it apart.

And what abouit it? No info on any blueprint
Basically, this is the first time I've seen something this upside down

And what is that "black" strip??? Maybe the slot is movable and now it is in the wrong position. that's the only logical explanation. But why? In addition to all the complications, working with a moving mechanism...

I will not pay any attention to the blueprints from Minakov, because he drew so much nonsenses that it is not necessary to comment on it at all

Attachments

• 517283-994b9da1b6af006f7706ebb56f4d1fcd.png
    517283-994b9da1b6af006f7706ebb56f4d1fcd.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
These are some modern de-spins. Today, all joints are made at an angle, and it is evident from these photos that not a single joint is made at a 90 degree angle. On my Maxus 9 blueprint I think the angles where the screws are placed are listed. I think 60 degrees. Now I don't feel like checking because the database is on another computer that is off. That other computer is not even connected to the Internet, its for serious work. This "hunk of plastic junk" I'm writing from is only for the internet.
I have so much data about rockets in my head that I'm getting lost.... It would be practical (but not humane) if I could connect another 1000 Terabytes to my head via USB

Also, regarding the port on 18.26 IE, it seems kind of illogical to me that it's actually placed upside down. It would not pull out the connector when it was removed, but it would tear it apart.

And what abouit it? No info on any blueprint
Basically, this is the first time I've seen something this upside down

And what is that "black" strip??? Maybe the slot is movable and now it is in the wrong position. that's the only logical explanation. But why? In addition to all the complications, working with a moving mechanism...

I will not pay any attention to the blueprints from Minakov, because he drew so much nonsenses that it is not necessary to comment on it at all
(1) There were two different designs for the mounting of the unit shown ( with the ANGLED attachement ). The OTHER design uses straight-in, 90 degree bolt insertion . . . That type is used on 18.26 IA !

(2) The "Black Stripe" is, most likely Black Electrical Tape. I think that they taped the Umbilical Lines to the Rocket, utnil they were ready to plug them in, prior to launch. It only "looks upside down" in that photo . . . It has not been "plugged in" yet.

(3) I have Taurus-Tomahawk draings that CLEARLY shows how the Umbilical Sockets are installed, in the Tomahawk ( Thanks to Josh, for making me think about the Taurus-Tomahawk ! )

1693348791277.png

1693348904421.png

Last edited:
The drawing from Minakov shows that the connection is from above, which makes absolutely no sense (or is it for some other rocket)- Probably, as you say, they just taped it temporarily

Attachments

• 517296-c247446c0b45e3dab6c4a0bf70fe716a.png
    517296-c247446c0b45e3dab6c4a0bf70fe716a.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A comment from one of the main people who worked on the ORKAN:

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    310.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 002.png
    002.png
    383.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 003.png
    003.png
    249.3 KB · Views: 1
Direct translate Photo1:
such large pieces are never peeled from a solid log, it is forged in the tool, the price of such a tool is in the range of the price of turning one piece from solid material. why steel?, it's probably a forging from duralumin. they had a 37,000-ton press then, and a 50,000-ton press was under construction

in picture 1: why steel, can dural, it is forged roughly like a tractor and then turned (lathe) this slot is made by milling from the front so that the hole for the screw is perpendicular to the base and the most important thing is that the abutting surface under the screw head is flat and parallel to the base

Direct translate Photo 2:
this groove is made by milling from the front so that the hole for the screw is perpendicular to the base and the most important thing is that the abutting surface under the screw head is flat and parallel to the base

The joint of the plastic head with the duralumin goes exactly like that with those slots into which the two-component glue with fibers is put

THIS IS MILLED (it is not ceramic + durall) - waiting for answer-probably is not even bakelite but AG-4 mix, popular in these days for nozzles. Dave, look at file __ORKAN BOJE.pdf

Direct translate Photo 3:
in one variant ORKAN had a fiberglass head with a metal nose
IN SLOTS IS GLUE

Last edited:
do you have another projection, from this one can guess that it is about two halves, but only guess. it's a duralumin casting, probably a variant of vacuum casting, that's how modern car rims are made.

I will be happy with another projection :rolleyes:

Attachments

• TE-416 FIN SHROUD - DETAIL.jpg
    TE-416 FIN SHROUD - DETAIL.jpg
    993.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
slight misunderstanding, there will be more information, sry

Last edited:
I know this will probably go unheeded . . .

Can we please stop "airing out" ( showing ) all of the data online ?

I intended for this to be a private project, not all laid out in Public.

Dave F.

Direct translate Photo1:
such large pieces are never peeled from a solid log, it is forged in the tool, the price of such a tool is in the range of the price of turning one piece from solid material. why steel?, it's probably a forging from duralumin. they had a 37,000-ton press then, and a 50,000-ton press was under construction

in picture 1: why steel, can dural, it is forged roughly like a tractor and then turned (lathe) this slot is made by milling from the front so that the hole for the screw is perpendicular to the base and the most important thing is that the abutting surface under the screw head is flat and parallel to the base
Interstage adapters are castings, with some interfaces milled. The recess with boss for the cap screws is part of the casting, and the boss is probably spotfaced for the screws and/or washers. This is awfully detailed stuff. There are lots of ways of making parts, but why the speculation of fabrication techniques?

And I'll just put my 2 cents in -- unless someone's building a model and wants to add flaws and tape to make it match the photos, there's really no point in including most of that stuff in scale data drawings. That's making more work for yourselves with no added value. The one exception I would say is the cream band on the Nike-Tomahawk nose assembly; we suspect it's tape, but it appears in all the photos and obscures the joint between Nose components that clearly don't match the official drawing dimensions. So in that case I think it should probably be included. And for 18.26 IA it's part of the 'traditional' appearance (you could maybe say it's "grandfathered in").

1693658333928.png

Thnx for this. Do you have a complete brochure?
my mail is [email protected]

Why is Dave banned? Stupid. It's a great loss for this forum

Attachments

• F5B-gxjW4AALcED.jpeg
    F5B-gxjW4AALcED.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
❤️

:headspinning:

Attachments

• wefightfascists-1568x1135-1.jpg
    wefightfascists-1568x1135-1.jpg