February Best Rocket Competition LPR - Open

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Firstly a shameless plug for our wonderful sponsor this month! A BIG thank you goes out to Fliskits, producers of truly awesome kits ! Check out the site! I am sure there is a kit there that will tickle your fancy! Aim for the sky and try not to miss!!!

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!).
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
5b. If proof of a successful flight is documented and the rocket suffers a loss in a subsequent flight, it is still eligible for consideration and will be judged in the 'prior to loss' state.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme
Theme for this month is 'OPEN' so anything goes!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Prize this month from our awesome sponsor Fliskits is a $30.00 spree at their website! :)

So, let's get those entries in!

Last edited:
LPR Scratch Built F-18 Hornet Jet Rocket
Another design of mine based on the Centuri Fighter Fleet.
It flies best on an Estes C6-5 arcing over like a fighter after apogee.
The Sidewinder misles are scratch built and the underwing bombs are from a model kit.
It last flew last fall at CMASS Amsbury, MA.
I posted this in the scratch build forum last June.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=12180

Daniel

Rocket projects 004.jpg

Rocket projects 005.jpg

Rocket projects 006.jpg

rocket launch 10-02-10 010.jpg

rocket launch 10-02-10 012.jpg

Last edited:
LPR Scratch Built F-18 Hornet Jet Rocket
Another design of mine based on the Centuri Fighter Fleet.
It flies best on an Estes C6-5 arcing over like a fighter after apogee.
The Sidewinder misles are scratch built and the underwing bombs are from a model kit.
It last flew last fall at CMASS Amsbury, MA.
I posted this in the scratch build forum last June.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=12180

Daniel

No sense entering now :eyepop:

Sweet rocket.

Braden

Maybe this can take on an F-18. :D

It is my scratch-built model of an SA-2, alias V-750, based on a specimen I saw in a museum in Pinnow, Germany. The booster takes a D12-0 and recovers with a Nomex streamer which slows it down a bit but mainly ensures it lands on its fins rather than on the more delicate front end. The sustainer takes a C6-5 and recovers on an 18" nylon parachute.

The photos are from last year's International Rocket Week near Largs, Scotland.

194sa2.jpg

195sa2_launch.jpg

196sa2_sky1.jpg

199sa2_separation1.jpg

Wow!

Is it to late to retract my entry?;)
Now thats what I'm talkin' 'bout!:cool:
Gentlemen, we have ourselves a contest!
May the best man win!

Oh Harold....

I'd love to see something you designed AND flew?

Straight up and....:no:

I'll give it to you straight up....:y::roll:

Last edited:
Yeah, dlazarus6660, I have to agree. Yours is more of a plane, not rocket, so I would go with Adrian, from what we have so far.

Oh why not!

Here's the little MLAS we threw together last month.

Quest kit, build was posted in the LPR section.

Fun little thing to fly. Kinda like flying a semi stable coffee can!

First couple flights on B6-2's were great.
Stay with 2 seconds delays on B's (well unless you really want to try a 18mm reload! :y:)
The last time we flew her on a B6-4 thinking it would be OK well.... :D Enjoy!

[YOUTUBE]F2JzgWU6dtE[/YOUTUBE]

MLAS 042.jpg

MLAS 043.jpg

MLAS 044.jpg

Yeah, dlazarus6660, I have to agree. Yours is more of a plane, not rocket, so I would go with Adrian, from what we have so far.

No, no, I am afraid you missed the sarcasm. I had to poke at Dan because I am extremely jealous of the incredible detail in his models. And they fly well too. If I built something like that it would be dangerous. Besides, if you don't poke Dan every once in a while, his head gets very big....
:D

No, no, I am afraid you missed the sarcasm. I had to poke at Dan because I am extremely jealous of the incredible detail in his models. And they fly well too. If I built something like that it would be dangerous. Besides, if you don't poke Dan every once in a while, his head gets very big....
:D

:neener::lol::D:p

Love ya back Harold!
Harold is being very modest. I've seen some of his models and he doesn't want to embarass me with his quality of workmanship over mine.
Flawless!

Last edited:
Whatever. I retract my comment, don't want to start a fight. :horse:

Don't worry about it! No offense was taken. It's all in good fun!

Harold and I are good friends. He pokes, I poke back or I poke, he pokes back.
All in good fun!

Daniel

Oh why not!

Here's the little MLAS we threw together last month.

Quest kit, build was posted in the LPR section.

Fun little thing to fly. Kinda like flying a semi stable coffee can!

First couple flights on B6-2's were great.
Stay with 2 seconds delays on B's (well unless you really want to try a 18mm reload! :y:)
The last time we flew her on a B6-4 thinking it would be OK well.... :D Enjoy!

[YOUTUBE]F2JzgWU6dtE[/YOUTUBE]
You know it's bad when a B motor has to be a heads up flight :rofl:

Braden

This is my Semroc Mars Lander. Ever since I was a kid, I remember walking into the local hardware store and seeing the original Estes kit. I have always wanted that kit and when I found out that Semroc made a remake of it, I bought it. It's built stock, always pleases the crowd and has had numerous flights on it. I think everyone should own this kit...it's just plain cool. Hope you guys like it.

Jpaw

IMG_9721.jpg

IMG_9722.jpg

IMG_9724.jpg

IMG_9725.jpg

This is an all wood square rocket of my own design. The name came about due to the constant use of the phrase "and what not" by another rocketeer. It flies great on C11-3 and D12-5 motors.

In the in-flight photo is also a 2 X upscale of my model with 2 X 24mm mmts.

and what not.jpg

and what not in flight.jpg

Just a heads up! Entry period to close at midnight(or when I get home from work, whichever is later) tomorrow night!

So get your entries in! :)

I was really happy with how this turned out so I'll add it to this month. :)

The sealing, sanding, and paint finish were all done before gluing the tubes together. To personalize this rocket I added the graphic of a pair of dueling water monsters and the name "KRAKEN" giving it an even more sinister look. The graphic was done in a red reflective vinyl. The reflective vinyl when unlit matches the red paint almost perfectly when viewed in person and you would never know it was reflective. Clear coat done with Pledge w/Future Floor Wax. It is stunning when you shine light on it just right. However it makes taking pictures tough. :blush:

Have launched this twice now on D12-5 both times with perfect recovery. Nary a dent or ding. Looking forward to trying some E engines on this next.

Kraken_flash_off.jpg

Kraken_flash.jpg

flash.jpg

Kraken_4.jpg

Kraken screenshot.JPG

Last edited:
Entry period is officially CLOSED!

Poll(s) to be posted momentarily! :)

May the BEST rocket win!

Good luck to all of our entrants!

Back