Fat Cat F-104 Starfighter ( Now oop)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking about adding the tip tanks, they really make a difference, but I wonder how much effect they would have on stability. the model requires considerable noseweight without them already.

I plan to make tip tanks that slide on the ends of the wings for display that can be permantly glued after a few flights If I feel brave enough.sound like a bad idea?

I'd say...go for it. At the very least, it'd be great for display.

well... I planned to have some painting done over the holiday
I found the wing tips have made a nice toy to chew on by the little demon-cat ! from the previous photos.

I now have the damage mostly repaired but looks like a little more filling and primer are still needed, many of the bite holes penetrated thru the wings.

I should be able to post some basic painted pics very soon.It will take a little more time to decal and seal the colors after that.

I plan to do a fair bit of masking and detailing. I will take some pics of the process and post that as well

Phred/Excelsior has done an amazing job of creating a decal sheet for me from some vector files I combined together,He is typically very busy and I appreciate him taking the time out to get it done. He runs a top notch service ! I can't wait to get the rocket finished !

Originally posted by stymye
well... I planned to have some painting done over the holiday

Same goes for me & my Starfighter :)

So far I have managed to spray the final primer coat, a final bit of sanding with a scrub pad (in place of super fine steel wool), & sprayed the first (red) gloss coat.

As rkt2k1 posted with that URL, the Starfighter is pretty much a blank canvas :) I've decided to go with a red & black paint scheme. Silver automotive pinstriping will provide additional details (like the framework fo the canopy).

Hopefully I'll have something with showing here in the next couple of days ;)

OK, OK, OK...I know I've been running my mouth on this thread about the paint scheme I came up with & how I am planning to paint...yada yada yada...

Well, I *did* do some work over the past couple of days! :) It's not done but I do have a little teaser. Enjoy :D (And yes, the rest of it has the first final color on it. It just has a ways to go...)

Thats looking good!

I also have the main colors on, except for a couple sections that I will do later. I'm waiting for the paint toharden real good so I can do a little masking.It's either going to look really cool ,, or awefull
I'm not real good at coming up with color ideas.

I want to mask the canopy like the person earlier in the thread... that looks just amazing,,, how the heck did he get those fine black lines?

I may do it your way with the pinstripe as that looks very nice!

Originally posted by stymye
I am thinking about adding the tip tanks, they really make a difference, but I wonder how much effect they would have on stability. the model requires considerable noseweight without them already.

I plan to make tip tanks that slide on the ends of the wings for display that can be permantly glued after a few flights If I feel brave enough.sound like a bad idea?

Rather than tip tanks, how about a pair of Sidewinders? Is this true cale or sport scale? I did not notice the port for the M61 Vulcan on the underside.

A

Ok, since Lalligood is going to tease us the whole way! 3 more progress pics to share. The bulk of the painting is done.

I still have to paint the canopy, intakes, some stripes and lots of decals. than I will spray a flat or satin clear

It is in Fly-able condition, that was my goal for saturday.I'm going to try the cockpit if I have time.

side view, there will be a thin pinstripe between the blue tail and the camo(I saw this on a P51 mustang)

Top view.

The camo was a real treat to do, I nearly gave up on it.
I think once it's done It will look pretty cool. Phred and I came up with some really nice decals.If I ever get to that point.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Rather than tip tanks, how about a pair of Sidewinders? Is this true cale or sport scale? I did not notice the port for the M61 Vulcan on the underside.

A

definately sport scale.. It's stretched quite a bit at the midsection

First I've got to say WELL DONE stymye! :D That's really looking great--I can't wait to see the final result.

Mine would be completely finished if it were not for a (now) hurricane sitting ~100 miles due east of where I am... It has been rainy off & on for the past couple of days. Way too humid to even consider doing any painting :rolleyes:

Maybe sometimes in the next couple of days that'll change.

Thanks Lance,
weather permitting,we will both be done soon it looks like.
I can't wait to see yours!so far it looks great!

I managed to install(paint) the glass tonight ..
I still need to define the canopy area , but it's starting to look like a canopy rather than a bump now

I masked off the frame structures,, cleared the tape to reduce leaking than I sprayed a duplicolor chrome
once that dried a bit(hairdryer), I sprayed irridesant blue with the airbrush

hard to tell from the pic but once it's clear coated it will have a sort of glass-like sheen. from a distance(thats the idea anyway)

This thing is awesome! I only wish I could finish a model to this level....I have no patience.

Great job stymye! Keep the pics coming....I wanna see pics of this thing in flight! :D

You hit the nail on the head Jim,
I often wonder why I'm putting so much work into a rocket.
I just take my time,, I get burnt out easily... I think The results are worth it for certain rockets like this one... it's not hard really, just got to have the patients.I wont convey how I felt when the wings got chewed up by the cat,,, I was ready to paint!

I built and finished 4 rockets since I started on this one, just to break the pace. still have some work to do but it's the fun part of the building process to me.

This model is looking great!!

Any new updates? I really want to see how those decals came out...

Phred

Phred,It's ready for decals
I am waiting on some Microscale Decal solution,I should have it in a couple of days.Than just a clearcoat to protect everything.

heres a couple pics for consolation
:p

Freakin' A stymye!!!

What a nice looking rocket. It looks better than a lot of display models I've seen....and this one flies.

sorry for the lag between posts I've been working some serious hours the last few weeks.

I managed to apply most of the decals this morning.Phreds decals are really nice ..by following the included tips, they have the "painted on" quality..I put my NAR# on the tail
thanks again Excelsior!

last step will be a shot of satin clear and she's complete !

How did you get that effect on the canopy, or is it just the reflection of the light?

I sprayed Duplicolor brand 'chrome',and followed that with a light coat of irridescant blue acrylic (createx brand ) thu the airbrush. it's a transparent color so the chrome still shows thru and provides the effect.

many thanks !

I just took a pic of the busines end ,set up for a DR. Rocket 29/240
the metal finish is aluminum tape from the hardware store..

the tape was applied with a very thin coat of epoxy.
the adhesive on the tape was strong but started to unpeel after a few days. so I knew it wouldn't hold up to heat well, hence the epoxy.problem solved

from the last pic
you can clearly see the integrated 1/4" launch lug
I would preferr rail buttons but I'm sticking to the stock kit as a
review thread

I've already started making parts for a downscale version that will use lugs

update
will take to the sky within the next 2 wks
I will try to get a launch pic , would be a cool launch shot
latest pic below (looks like a mug shot)but i wanted to get a . photo of the final size of the finished kit with me holding it

Lookin forward to the launch shot Andy. What's she goin up on?

Love the rocket Stymye. If someone was interested in making one of these, and since Fat Cat is no longer in business, would you happen to have the instructions or some type of pattern for the fins?

Back