Fat Cat F-104 Starfighter ( Now oop)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
I finally started on the Fat Cat rocketry F-104
there is no info online as far as pics(very few), builds, reviews
so I'm on my own this time,I would like to hear from anyone who has built this kit, or has seen one go up.

the kit is rated skill level 5 , I agree , mabey not as detailed as a Sat V but probably not recommended for the impatient type builder

the components are top quality,all of the tubes are thick wall 3" with a 3 x 12 Loc nosecone, The canopy is a Sig ww-2 style 7"
the kit includes a 29mm x 17" Motor mount tube, 2 chutes, lots of noseweight, bulkheads and centering rings are 5 and 7 ply aircraft grade, there are lots of other parts and details

most wood parts are precut but the wings, rudder,tailplane, finette ect.. have to be edged with 1/4" hardwood, rounded and all trailing surfaces have to be heavily beveled, the rudder alone requires 1/4"balsa, hard wood , and ply to complete (my kind of kit !)

so far I am very impressed with the quality of components and fit
and the inclusion of 2 ripstop chutes( appear to be standard top flight )

so far I have the "woodwork" done and the intakes cut and assembled ,cutting the shapes from the heavy wall tubes with a exacto was not fun, but I couldn't think of an easier way.

heres a close up of the rudder dry fit with the tailplane

this kit builds into a fairly large rocket!

heres a couple pics I found online of a completed one , I hope the owner doesn't mind me posting it here, he flew it at our field on an I motor I believe. again anyone with experience on this kit ,please chime in. thanks

Looks like a fun build Andy. I'm sure you'll build it proud. I always enjoy the work out of your shop.

I'm working on one of these right now too. I've got everything glued/filleted together except for the bulkhead into the nose cone. Only thing stopping me from that is that I can't see flying this tank of a rocket (it has a *TON* of noseweight!!) on G40s or G80s. (FWIW, I prefer reloads so in my case G64Ws...) I really want it to fly on H128s :D With such a complex shape, it'll be a challenge locating a semi-accurate CP. <sigh>

This is definitely a "builder's kit" and has been a lot of fun to work on. I liked putting the hardwood strips on the leading & tip edges of all the fins & I've always enjoyed slotting/cutting tubes. It's a shame that Fat Cat Rockets has (at least for the time being) closed their doors.

I'll post some pics later today...

Nice - I'm now in standby for a full review submission to EMRR!

Nick

I said I'd post pics--well, I wasn't kidding :D

First of 3. Here are the parts fresh out of the box!

Finally getting back to the kit, I have the main parts done, still need to cut and attach the cockpit.

I've done some filling work and a coat of primer to highlight any areas that need some attention before painting.

still trying to decide on a paint scheme.

Originally posted by stymye
one more

Is it just me or did you not put on the little wood half cone thingies at the front of each of the engine turbines??? :(

I have been working on mine this weekend too. Everything has been primered but I found a number of small spots that needed some touch up with Fill 'n' Finish. Hopefully more primer will go on tomorrow.

I'm planning to keep the color scheme pretty simple: just a basic gray with black accents (like the turbine scoops, around the MMT, & canopy).

Hopefully I'll have some pics in the next few days...

Great looking rocket! Can't wait to see the painted version(s).

I have not had time to concentrate on this as I would like to, but a couple more pics, primed ,sanded ,ready for paint
the cockpit is the final part to finish before painting.
still can't decide how to paint it.. scale military fighter jet colors was my original idea. and I'm still going that direction .

heres the newest edition to the family getting in on the action.... lol

Looks excellent Andy. Military colors would be my pick too.

Excellent Andy, I would really like to have one of these. Just the kind of rocket I like to build. Is there any place where one can still get one of these? I would go for the NASA F-104 type paint scheme!:)

I recently put this web based F104 photo gallery together from pictures I've been collecting.

Lots of paint scheme ideas available here:

F104 StarFighter Photo Gallery

Please note: Link may load slowly on low-speed connection.

Originally posted by rkt2k1
I recently put this web based F104 photo gallery together from pictures I've been collecting.

Lots of paint scheme ideas available here

Thanks. A BUNCH. I'm very close to putting the final coats of paint on my FCR F104 ;)

same here thanks for posting them !, I'm working on decal files and close to painting as well.

Back