Falling Iguanas! What else can 2020 do in its waning hours?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the first time it has happened and they are considered inasive so it's not a bad thing!

Who can imagine what one might learn on their various and sundry journeys to The Wrong Planet.
I had never imagined ...
Python meat is a delicacy that can sell to connoisseurs for up to $50 a pound.

Rattlesnake meat is quite tasty, can’t imagine why non-venomous python meat would be any less so. Iguana meat.....🤷🏻‍♂️ If it’ll eat, it’ll make a tu......never mind.

Who can imagine what one might learn on their various and sundry journeys to The Wrong Planet.
🤔
🤔
Oh, this is The Rocketry Forum ...
... NOT the autism forum Wrong Planet where I've also been posting tonight!
:rolleyes:
😄
Note to self ... I'm not a flawless genius after all.
Dang.
What a bummer.
Oh well, if I was flawless, none of us here could stand me anyway.
Not even me.

Rattlesnake meat is quite tasty, can’t imagine why non-venomous python meat would be any less so. Iguana meat.....🤷🏻‍♂️ If it’ll eat, it’ll make a tu......never mind.
Proper preparation of the iguana requires parboilingit in saltwater for twenty to thirty minutes before roasting or stewing it. Common recipes for the iguana include stews (guisado), pozole, birria, roasted in tacos and flautas, roasted and finished with mole, and even sauteed with almonds. Two recipes for traditional preparation can be found at the Wikibooks Cookbook project. Citizens in parts of South Florida have begun cooking iguana meat after the Florida Wildlife Agency encouraged residents to kill green iguanas on their own property. In Puerto Rico, where iguanas are an invasive species, there have been efforts to promote iguana consumption.[2]

My Father all told me Rule Number One: Don't EAT anything that EATS Meat...
Pigs eat meat. Many lizards and lizard-like animals, from snakes to aligators, all eatmeat and are commonly eaten. Menayof the yummiest fish eat meat. Author Jared Diamond reports that he has eaten lion mean and it's quite good. There's really nothing in general wrong with eating meats that eat meat.

Citizens in parts of South Florida have begun cooking iguana meat after the Florida Wildlife Agency encouraged residents to kill green iguanas on their own property. In Puerto Rico, where iguanas are an invasive species, there have been efforts to promote iguana consumption.[2]
If they promote iguana, python and Asian carp as gourmet food items and get millions of Americans clamoring for them then they will get rid of the invasive species problem in no time.

Some folks are trying that with feral pigs. It's not going well as far as I've heard anywhere. Yet I also hear that the meat is really good. It has (reportedly) a strong flavor that some call gamey but others call pork that actually tastes like something. I hope it's more a slowly growing thing than a failure.

If they promote iguana, python and Asian carp as gourmet food items and get millions of Americans clamoring for them then they will get rid of the invasive species problem in no time.
I agree that is a very good way to deal with invasive species, when practical. I believe they were trying to get a lionfish industry going in Florida, but I don't think it has caught on. Supposedly tasted fine, but needed to be prepared carefully to avoid the toxins.

Supposedly tasted fine, but needed to be prepared carefully to avoid the toxins.
Reminds me of fugu (blowfish) sashimi.
Very expensive gourmet item in Japan.
But if not prepared correctly can be deadly.
I understand the chef has to be certified in the correct preparation, and the Imperial family is banned from eating this because of the danger.

I thought Asian carp is slimy.
In the video the restaurant owner says that it's better than tilapia.
If they can market and sell tilapia in grocery stores and restaurants then they can market and sell ANYTHING.
They mention that they have renamed it from Asian carp to Silverfin.
I remember many years ago there was a movement within the local restaurant industry to rename tilapia to sunfish to make it more appealing to diners.
To me it's a bottom feeding fish found in polluted streams. To this day I won't touch it.
After seeing the video I would try Asian carp.

Yes, there was a good Simpsons episode about that. :)
As there are about so, so many things.

In the video the restaurant owner says that it's better than tilapia... I remember many years ago there was a movement within the local restaurant industry to rename tilapia to sunfish to make it more appealing to diners.
Well I'm glad that didn't work. Sunfish, a.k.a. pumpkin seeds, are really quite tasty if you don't mind eating a few of them to make a single meal.
To me it's a bottom feeding fish found in polluted streams.
That I didn't know, and it surprises me. Other bottom feeders, lkie catfish for imstance, have somethin going for them that tilapia dorsn't: flavor.

There was a guy trying to market Asian carp in Israel as gefilte fish.

There are *lots* of domestic food animals that eat meat in US food production, even though they wouldn't do that in the wild. For starters, lots of farm animals eat fish meal and fish eat other fish both in farms and in the wild. Pigs, chickens, and cows are all also on that list in some weird circular ways. I'll leave it there, though there is plenty of information out there if you want it.

In the video the restaurant owner says that it's better than tilapia.
If they can market and sell tilapia in grocery stores and restaurants then they can market and sell ANYTHING.
They mention that they have renamed it from Asian carp to Silverfin.
I remember many years ago there was a movement within the local restaurant industry to rename tilapia to sunfish to make it more appealing to diners.
To me it's a bottom feeding fish found in polluted streams. To this day I won't touch it.
After seeing the video I would try Asian carp.
Another video said that the meat is full of bones but looks like in the video that the prep cook was able remove the bones. Financially, it's a question of how much demand and how much processing it takes to get the meat. If they can industrialize it and turn the carp into cheap imitation crab meat (or gefilte), then we might have a winner. I haven't seen a video of it but there's gotta be a way to collect the carp with giant air scoops on river boats.

Another video said that the meat is full of bones but looks like in the video that the prep cook was able remove the bones. Financially, it's a question of how much demand and how much processing it takes to get the meat. If they can industrialize it and turn the carp into cheap imitation crab meat (or gefilte), then we might have a winner. I haven't seen a video of it but there's gotta be a way to collect the carp with giant air scoops on river boats.
The chef recommended that the bones be removed after cooking rather than before. Apparently it's much easier that way.
There's one species of Asian carp that jumps out of the water (and sometimes into your boat) at the sound of an outboard motor. Takes the challenge out of it.
A co-worker once made fishcake from an oio (bonefish) her boyfriend had caught off Magic Island.
Gut and clean the fish, leaving the skin on. Cut off the head and tail.
Use a rolling pin or Coke bottle to squeeze the meat out from the middle to both ends.
The bones are left inside the skin.
Add seasonings and make fishcake (kamaboko) by steaming or roasting/grilling.
It was delicious.

Last edited:

If nothing else, you can turn any fish into fishmeal for fertilizer and animal feed. Bonier fish have some bonus bone meal, which I think sells for a slightly higher price because gardeners will pay stupid amounts for garden amendments. Of course, volume might be an issue. The smallest available fishmeal plants need to run through something like 20 tons a day. That's small on an industrial fishing scale*, but you won't get it out of fish jumping into your boat. Surimi (fake crab) is also possible, but again you need quite a bit of volume to make that commercially feasible.

* A medium size Alaska trawler will pull up ~40-80 tons of fish after towing the net for 2 hours or so. The Bering Sea pollock (think cheap fish sticks and fake crab) quota for 2020 was around 1.7 million tons.

Back