Explorer post 1010 Rockets for schools

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egoldee

Reaction score
We completed in the Rockets for Schools competition in Wisconsin. The event required us to build and engineer an original payload of our choice. We chose to make our payload a load cell under the nosecone to measure drag.
IMG_20230509_213731_779.jpg

Sounds interesting. Has your project launched, yet? If so, what were your results?
We launch our rocket on Saturday to an apogee of 4562 on a K535.

Unfortunately our load cell malfunctioned and caused the data to be all zeros. We believe the issue was the load cell it's self.

My recommendation would if you want to do something similar don't buy a really cheap load cell.

Sorry to hear this. I don't know much about load cells. Hopefully, you can find one that suits your needs. About 60 years ago I made a small nose on a piston pushing a spring scratching a short mark on a piece of wax paper to get a maximum drag force for a small model rocket. I only tried this once and I thought I got a scratch mark. Knowing the spring constant, I made an estimate of the drag force and it seemed correct. I never tried it again. I tend to think that this kind of experiment is few and far between. I wish you luck.

Sorry to hear this. I don't know much about load cells. Hopefully, you can find one that suits your needs. About 60 years ago I made a small nose on a piston pushing a spring scratching a short mark on a piece of wax paper to get a maximum drag force for a small model rocket. I only tried this once and I thought I got a scratch mark. Knowing the spring constant, I made an estimate of the drag force and it seemed correct. I never tried it again. I tend to think that this kind of experiment is few and far between. I wish you luck.
Thank you.
It is nice to know someone has tried a similar experiment and gotten good results.

Back