Estes Red Sapphire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that the face card shows a red 65th Anniversary decal, but the images of the rocket are the same blue one as the Blue Sapphire. It’ll be interesting to see what color decal actually comes in the kit.

They are out of their minds. $39.99 for a BT50 rocket. This has got to be some kind of stupidity test to see just how far they can push people. I passed on the blue one at $21 and built a BT55 Upscale for under $20.
I'm betting this "cash grab" will mostly affect the flippers. If so, more power to Estes.

I keep looking at the Estes deals, nothing has even come close. Not that I'm desperate for another little paper rocket, but the Red Sapphire really epitomizes the whole "sale" Estes has put on here. Maybe I'm jaded, but Estes really dropped the ball here.
Dropped the ball? The Blue Sapphire sold out quickly, which tells Estes they could have made more money by raising the price with little to no additional effort. Looks like they're doing that with this Red Sapphire release. And plus, it's not likely going to catch the attention of hardcore builders (like us) or the noobies entering this hobby. In other words, it's mostly aimed at the collectors and flippers.

And we all want Estes to succeed and grow as a company and promoter of model rocektry, right? Those goals are made easier if Estes has more money, right? I mean, sure, more money doesn't always mean more success, but our hobby will be better off (for the most part) the more financially healthy Estes is.

They are out of their minds. $39.99 for a BT50 rocket. This has got to be some kind of stupidity test to see just how far they can push people. I passed on the blue one at $21 and built a BT55 Upscale for under $20.

Congrats. Cool story.

Heaven forbid someone enjoys this as priced.

I guess you can charge anything by labelling it as XX Anniversary or Limited Edition.
I notice they didn't say how many kits in their limited edition run this time.
Blue Sapphire was 300.
So, 300?
500?
1000?
What would really be healthy for this hobby is if there wasn't just one big fish in the pond.
Competition is generally healthier.
It tends to curb overpricing.
JMHO.

Dropped the ball? The Blue Sapphire sold out quickly, which tells Estes they could have made more money by raising the price with little to no additional effort. Looks like they're doing that with this Red Sapphire release. And plus, it's not likely going to catch the attention of hardcore builders (like us) or the noobies entering this hobby. In other words, it's mostly aimed at the collectors and flippers.

And we all want Estes to succeed and grow as a company and promoter of model rocektry, right? Those goals are made easier if Estes has more money, right? I mean, sure, more money doesn't always mean more success, but our hobby will be better off (for the most part) the more financially healthy Estes is.
Yes, we want Estes to be successful, but we want the hobby to be successful too. Estes has been great at getting folks into rocketry at reasonable cost with interesting designs. Kids, and their parents will buy $10-20 cool looking rockets all day long. Not so much for $40 rockets. And others will buy an upscale Red Max for $50, but a Leviathan for $90 is a little absurd when you can just get a cheaper Big Daddy and extend the bt. Proof is that the better deals sell out in minutes. The over priced or poor designs, they have to give them away. And it serves no one in the hobby when kids can't afford to get into it, be excited about it, and carry that enthusiasm onward and upward. Without flying an Alpha, few would eventually go on to be flying a 6" high power whatever. Estes has an important place in the hobby and the industry. I understand the points made of squeezing out more revenue per unit shipped and so on, but changing to that model will eventually hurt us all, and I'm afraid Estes themselves in the long term.

I guess you can charge anything by labelling it as XX Anniversary or Limited Edition.
I notice they didn't say how many kits in their limited edition run this time.
Blue Sapphire was 300.
So, 300?
500?
1000?
What would really be healthy for this hobby is if there wasn't just one big fish in the pond.
Competition is generally healthier.
It tends to curb overpricing.
JMHO.
I also noticed that there wasn't information about the Red Sapphire's production number. I don't think that's an accident.

And it serves no one in the hobby when kids can't afford to get into it, be excited about it, and carry that enthusiasm onward and upward. Without flying an Alpha, few would eventually go on to be flying a 6" high power whatever.
This is the Red Sapphire we're talking about, not the Alpha, Athena, Generic E2X, Viking or any other beginner/introductory rocket kit. So as long as Estes is pricing these "intro-rockets" affordably, I don't think they're hurting the hobby or themselves (short-term or long-term).

I'm confident that at least 95% of people entering this hobby for the first time will not being doing so with the Red Sapphire, whether it's sold for $15, $20 or $40.

I feel like plenty of companies have done well by mixing reasonably priced regular items with overpriced collector items. Different price points are different markets, so no reason not to cater to both.

As for being able to scratch build or kit bash one much cheaper — there are a lot of people for whom scratch building is a higher barrier than an extra $20 or $50.

I only build LPR and there is nothing about this hobby that is expensive. I spend many hours building my rockets and more hours flying and chasing it. If I want a cheap hobby, I could just paint rocks. Compared to everyone else I know, I have the cheapest hobby around.

I do a combination of CA and CWF. I am never able to sand the CA completely smooth; I don't even try anymore and just use CWF for the last bits.

I'm wondering about doing it the other way around. Do CWF to fill in the grain, cover in CA to seal the CWF and make it smooth(er).

Hans.

I'm wondering about doing it the other way around. Do CWF to fill in the grain, cover in CA to seal the CWF and make it smooth(er).

Hans.
I alternate until I'm happy with the result. Doing CWF first serves to fill in the larger surface pits. But I still have trouble sanding the CA completely smooth, and usually need another very small round of CWF on top of the CA. Then I apply a very light coat of CA at the end (Q-tip applied) to seal it. Because I use foam-safe CA I can do this at my workbench with no worries.

I don't know how hard the sanding sealer is when cured but the CA has the benefit of creating a really nice hard crunchy candy shell around the balsa.

Makes me wonder if CWF, sand it smooth, then go to a traditional sanding sealer might be a good option.
I put elmer's wood filler on the edges of my fins then sand them. I spray on a coat of primer, sand lightly then put another coat of primer on the fins. Then I sand lightly and I'm ready for paint.

I only build LPR and there is nothing about this hobby that is expensive. I spend many hours building my rockets and more hours flying and chasing it. If I want a cheap hobby, I could just paint rocks. Compared to everyone else I know, I have the cheapest hobby around.
"Gotta keep it cheaper than a boat!" 🤣

Collect the set!
Emerald
Topaz
Amethyst
turquoise
Tourmaline
Citrine
Obsidian

must be some gemologists and geologists who can expand this list tenfold.
Moissanite - second only to diamond in hardness, and natural moissanite is rarer than diamond, being associated with meteor impact craters
Onyx
Snowflake Obsidian
Tiger Eye
Green or Black Spinel
Malachite - don't lick it, it contains arsenic
Tanzanite - crapinite
Labradorite
Morganite
Aquamarine
Opal
Jasper
Alexandrite
White Moonstone
Rainbow Moonstone
Rainbow Topaz
Jade
Mother-of-Pearl
Fordite - you'll love this one. It's a "gemstone" made from the hundreds/thousands of layers of paint from auto factory paint areas, specifically from back in the days of nearly no automation.

These are what I can think of off the top of my head from what is in our studio. There's a ton more that we don't sell often enough for me to have it all memorized. I'm no gemologist, but I make the rings, pendants, bracelets, earrings and whatnot at the jewelry studio I work at. My boss does all the stone setting, and has been doing this for 20+ years. She's not an "official" gemologist, but if she applied, she'd get the title. Basically, I'm "just" the metal-bender, or bench monkey :D .

Tanzanite - crapinite

These are what I can think of off the top of my head from what is in our studio. There's a ton more that we don't sell often enough for me to have it all memorized. I'm no gemologist, but I make the rings, pendants, bracelets, earrings and whatnot at the jewelry studio I work at. My boss does all the stone setting, and has been doing this for 20+ years. She's not an "official" gemologist, but if she applied, she'd get the title. Basically, I'm "just" the metal-bender, or bench monkey :D .
I’ve had a few Crapinites myself. I don’t recommend licking them either.

similar to Fordite, I suspect @kuririn and @Ronz Rocketz could probably dig up some Rustoleumite.

Last edited:
Back