Estes Red Sapphire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm building my own interpretation of this, #3 in my batch of 5 thread. I was trying to play along with the name, I think blue sapphire is a real thing, I was going to name mine black sapphire which is also a real thing but I haven't come up with a paint scheme yet. If I take the Estes paint scheme and just make it black and white that is not colorful enough for me. Is red sapphire a real thing? Maybe I could come up with a variation of this paint scheme.

John Boren posted either here or at YORF when the Blue came out that they have a large supply of those balsa cones beyond the scope of the blue run.

Hoping someone does a two-stager this time around. I don't remember seeing that yet, but I could just be forgetful. I'd even settle for a clone with a Black Brant nose cone to hold an Eggfinder Mini. Minimum Diameter or suck!

I think blue sapphire is a real thing
If you mean the gemstone, sapphires are generally blue. The mineral is corundum, it's usually blue or red but other colors occur. All colors except red are called sapphire. If it's red, it's not a sapphire, it's a ruby.

So, gemologically speaking, there's no such thing as a red sapphire.

If you mean the gemstone, sapphires are generally blue. The mineral is corundum, it's usually blue or red but other colors occur. All colors except red are called sapphire. If it's red, it's not a sapphire, it's a ruby.

So, gemologically speaking, there's no such thing as a red sapphire.
A quick internet search and I found these colors too: pink, yellow and white. There were other types I found that didn't seem so much related to ordinary colors. I'm not sure if this helps me but I do have some pink paint and some yellow paint. I've been thinking of a color variation that plays off of the blue sapphire scheme so I could make pink or yellow work. I'm really not good at coming up with interesting color designs, I have to get influences from other color schemes I've seen. Right now the rocket is in primer waiting for me to finalize some color ideas, now I can make more progress.

I'm really not good at coming up with interesting color designs, I have to get influences from other color schemes I've seen. Right now the rocket is in primer waiting for me to finalize some color ideas, now I can make more progress.
Riffing on the gemstone theme, how about emerald?

John Boren posted either here or at YORF when the Blue came out that they have a large supply of those balsa cones beyond the scope of the blue run.

Hoping someone does a two-stager this time around. I don't remember seeing that yet, but I could just be forgetful. I'd even settle for a clone with a Black Brant nose cone to hold an Eggfinder Mini. Minimum Diameter or suck!
From what I remember of my work on the Blue Sapphire sim, if you want two stages, you'd need to alter the fins to ensure they separate, and the booster would likely need to use 13mm motors (in a cluster)(if that's even possible, I'm tired, brain not fully caffeinated) to maintain the original profile of the rocket.

I just hope that they don't make it a limited edition, or one that is nearly so small an addition as the Blue Sapphire. [EDIT] It's a limited edition, they didn't specify how many are in this edition. [/EDIT]

Last edited:
... the booster would likely need to use 13mm motors (in a cluster) to maintain the original profile of the rocket.

How do you cluster 13mms in BT-50? Would need to at least be a BT-55 upscale for that to work. (I guess you might fit two 13mm tubes in a 1.14-ID tube, but that doesn't come with the convenience of an Estes PNC.)

How do you cluster 13mms in BT-50? Would need to at least be a BT-55 upscale for that to work. (I guess you might fit two 13mm tubes in a 1.14-ID tube, but that doesn't come with the convenience of an Estes PNC.)
Dammit... I thought that I had mentioned that before hitting "Post Reply"... I'm tired, and my brain has not achieved complete caffeination. I paused in the post to see if the Red Sapphire was available for sale yet, and then freaked out when it I found A) it was B) a limited edition and C) I had problems making my purchase (damned login/shipping address issues).

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a money grab... But I have my reasons to score a couple... You guys still need sims right?

I wonder if the balsa nose cone is still included or if they swapped over to the plastic version.
Just checked the online posted instructions... The Red Sapphire has a plastic NC (71026) VS the Blue Sapphire's balsa NC (70254).

The plastic NC is the same part number as the Black Brant III, and looks (in the drawings at least) to be the same part, even including the nozzle detail.

Last edited:
Riffing on the gemstone theme, how about emerald?
I thought I would build my own take on the blue sapphire, but I came up with the name black sapphire. I thought it should be named after something that exists so I googled and found that black sapphire is a thing. I never thought there were other colors, now I know more about that. I suppose it doesn't matter, if I was making up things I could make up something that doesn't exist but I still want to use sapphire in the name to tie it back to the original design inspiration.

I'm building my own interpretation of this, #3 in my batch of 5 thread. I was trying to play along with the name, I think blue sapphire is a real thing, I was going to name mine black sapphire which is also a real thing but I haven't come up with a paint scheme yet. If I take the Estes paint scheme and just make it black and white that is not colorful enough for me. Is red sapphire a real thing? Maybe I could come up with a variation of this paint scheme.
In place of the red or blue, how about a color shift shade of some kind? Testors has a line of shades that are dark, but with metallic shades that come through. Would still be a "Black Sapphire" but has some color too.

Last edited:
So the "65th Anniversary Limited Edition Blue Sapphire" was $21.99 and the "65th Anniversary Limited Edition Red Sapphire" is $39.99?
And they're both the same model?
Hard pass.
Agree! Plus these don't seem to come with the snazzy draw string bag.

I did get 2 of the Blues, but before building one, I scanned the decals and made a fin pattern. Actually cut my own fins from basswood, and used a plastic NC (I hate balsa nc's). Came out great, looks sharp, and flies well. So I can clone them in any color I wish, plus I have the second one still. Absolutely no reason to pay twice as much as before for less product.

I really don't find that design to be anything to get excited over, neither the design itself or the paint scheme and decals. I do like @bjphoenix 's version better, with the fins alternated.

They are out of their minds. $39.99 for a BT50 rocket. This has got to be some kind of stupidity test to see just how far they can push people. I passed on the blue one at $21 and built a BT55 Upscale for under $20.

I'm guessing they benchmarked the fleabay sales transactions from the last time around to set the new MSRP. Why should the scalpers get the money instead of them? I hope Estes sells out and makes a bunch of money so they can do other stuff I think is cool.

I really don't find that design to be anything to get excited over, neither the design itself or the paint scheme and decals. I do like @bjphoenix 's version better, with the fins alternated.

I find the rocket design very nice. I like the fins, the choice of nose cone etc. The paint and decals are a disappointment and the price is unreasonable. I'd love to see everyone boycott this rocket but I'm sure there are enough people out there willing to buy it to make it a success in limited runs.

That said, I guarantee there will be a standard production version of this in the future and it will probably be under $20.

I keep looking at the Estes deals, nothing has even come close. Not that I'm desperate for another little paper rocket, but the Red Sapphire really epitomizes the whole "sale" Estes has put on here. Maybe I'm jaded, but Estes really dropped the ball here.

Back