Estes pro series patriot #2066

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zielijo1

Reaction score
Hi, this kit is balsa fins with cardboard skins. I would like to upgrade to plywood. Any one have files for a laser cutter, SVG format or other? Gonna change 4 eng cluster to 38mm mount
Thoughts?
Thanks
Jz

what, you afraid to cluster?......lol. Just trace the pattern onto woodcut with jigsaw, don't need no fancy lazer devices. Thats what I did but I kept the cluster mount.

what, you afraid to cluster?......lol. Just trace the pattern onto woodcut with jigsaw, don't need no fancy lazer devices. Thats what I did but I kept the cluster mount.
A cluster of 24mm has a high probability of blowing up unless you spend much more to fly 3 single use Aerotech motors. There is also a good possibility whenever flying clusters and one or two motors don’t light. A single 29mm (38mm is overkill unless you plan to fly it on Loki G motors) is good enough.

I must be really lucky with my upscale Cluster Duck flying on 1x29mm & 6x24mm motors. I've flown it twice on all black powder motors and once on all composites. I always check old motors against the known bad code list, but haven't had any issues with new Estes BP 24mm motors.

A cluster of 24mm has a high probability of blowing up unless you spend much more to fly 3 single use Aerotech motors. There is also a good possibility whenever flying clusters and one or two motors don’t light. A single 29mm (38mm is overkill unless you plan to fly it on Loki G motors) is good enough.
I must disagree. I can fly clusters of BP motors all day long and never have a misfire. Blowing up is a chance you take everytime you push the button, not because you cluster. 4 D motors are a no brainer

Part of the cool factor of the Pro series Patriot is the 4 motor cluster.
Replacing it with one motor is like replacing the three motors in the Ranger with a single motor.
Then it's no longer a Ranger, it's a Big Bertha.
Plus the new retooled E motors should be less prone to CATOs.

The Estes pro series Patriot kit sells for like $500 on ebay. You might consider selling it to somone who wants to enjoy all those parts you want to get rid of, and getting a LOC or PML Patriot which seem to have everything you want.

The Estes pro series Patriot kit sells for like $500 on ebay. You might consider selling it to somone who wants to enjoy all those parts you want to get rid of, and getting a LOC or PML Patriot which seem to have everything you want.
Both of those kits weigh about 3x more than the Estes version

There is a Pro Series Patriot clone kit on eBay right now for around 70 bucks. I almost pulled the trigger...

Also, this thread is kinda funny because in another thread (I think it's the Big Der Max thread) someone is writing about changing an Estes 3 inch kit designed with a 29mm motor to a cluster of D motors because getting D motors is much easier for him. Goes to show you, one man's dream is another's nightmare :)

-Bob

Opening bid on the one I saw was 55 bucks and shipping is $11.10. I didn't buy it because the motor tube is shorter than I like, I wouldn't use the 1/4" launch lugs or the self stick decals. It doesn't come with a chute, shock cord, any king of laundry shelf or an engine retainer.

With free shipping over 50 dollars it seems like you could save a little money by ordering a Doorknob kit from Estes along with an extra body tube and coupler, but the chute would be small and you'd still need to come up with the fins and you might want to replace the centering rings with ply.

From Estes:
Engine tubes 3eq 4
Body tube 1ea 7
Nose cone 1ea 7

Extra from Estes:
30" chute 1ea 17
Engine Retainer 3ea 9
Shock Cords 3ea 11
Coupler 1ea 2

So the parts from Estes would run 57 so the shipping would be free. You'd still need some ply wood for the fins, centering rings and the laundry shelf. You'd need some rail buttons and a screw eye

Seems if you can make your own fins and centering rings, buying parts would be the way to go to get the closest to the original but as a 29mm.

Anyway jimzcatz, I also sent you a message.

Bob

Last edited:
Motor tube length is irrelavent. One I saw had starting bid of 55 with BIN OF 71.15$ shipping.

Back